ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

I reset the mesh system after updating the firmware to the latest.

After completing the set up, the 5GHz-2 band (used for the wifi mesh backhaul) was left as ‘open system’.  Is this not a security issue?  Only noticed as I found an open network on the wifi list when I tried to connect back to the mesh system.

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3162
    • Skipper

I reset the mesh system after updating the firmware to the latest. After completing the set up, the 5GHz-2 band (used for the wifi mesh backhaul) was left as ‘open system’. Is this not a security issue? Only noticed as I found an open network on the wifi list when I tried to connect back to the mesh system.

What was the wireless name of the backhaul and could you connect to it without entering a password ? as I wonder if it is just a UI bug ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

When I first set it up out of the box the wireless name and password was a long string of numbers and letters.

After factory reset and completing setup from fresh again the wireless was Asus_10 (as per the screenshot).  I was able to connect and perform a full speedtest (450+mbps).  Seems like a bug?

I have now changed authentication method, entered password and set the SSID to hidden (it was hidden out of the box).  Set channel bandwidth to 160MHz.  Seems to be working fine with this set up.

Hide SSID: Yes

Channel bandwidth: 160MHz

Authentication Method: WPA/WPA2-Personal

Argos has made me the ‘best Dad in the world’ as my daughter just called me…..  Managed to order the elusive Xbox Series X for pick up on Monday.  Had nearly £450 worth of nectar and Argos vouchers, only paid £2.15 on the credit card. Bloody scalpers can go to hell…….

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3162
    • Skipper

Shame about the bug, or if ASUS have changed how the Backhaul works initially ?

The shortage of Xbox Series X and PS5’s is madness, glad u are sorted

Scalpers

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

Shame about the bug, or if ASUS have changed how the Backhaul works initially ?

Is there any way to get confirmation from Asus if this is just for the initial setup.  I was able to connect to the open network well after completing the set up.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3162
    • Skipper

Never dealt with whomever  deals with Zenwifi, I will ask them to ask internally ?

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

Never dealt with whomever deals with Zenwifi, I will ask them to ask internally ?

That would be great, thanks.  Happy to help if it is a bug and testing is needed.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3162
    • Skipper

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3162
    • Skipper

Ok, so I have heard back from ASUS and they have tested the with latest firmware after factory reset and they could not replicate the Open System issue.

Hopefully just a one of, but will be interesting if others have a simular experience ?

———–

Test conducted with latest official version, encryption is not Open System. Remains to be WPA/WPA2. No issue.

———-

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

Thanks, I asked the same question another forum (not sure whether I can name it here??).  Someone there also confirmed same behaviour with the backhaul showing Open System.

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 406
    • Addict

There are not many out there, snb-forum or the australian whirlpool-forum.

Why should it be forbidden to name helpful links?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3162
    • Skipper

Thanks, I asked the same question another forum (not sure whether I can name it here??). Someone there also confirmed same behaviour with the backhaul showing Open System.

I do not mind other forums being mentioned as long as it is to help (not advertise) – alas I hopefully the other forum can contact ASUS and action this for you ?

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 406
    • Addict

I think you are the only one with contact to asus for their DSL products

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

I know some other forums are a but weird when it comes to links….

I asked on the snb-forum and someone there also confirmed same behaviour after factory reset:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-zenwifi-ax-xt8-5ghz-2-backhaul.72463/

I created a post on there as there were others who have these units.

Bit surprised as Asus could not replicate

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 406
    • Addict

Usual automated reaction

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com