ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Usual automated reaction

No comment

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

Usual automated reaction

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Ok, so I spoke with ASUS again and this is direct from the engineer responsible for all things ZEnwifi .

Alas I do not have a ZENwifi system to test this, so will have to take ASUS word on this and try sending a feedback form so they can look at the issue in more details.

———–

Now 5G-2 main SSID no longer is the Prelink SSID. Thus, UI will not display Prelink SSID, if user finished the QIS setup then 5G-2 SSID encryption would not be Open System.

———-

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

Ok, so I spoke with ASUS again and this is direct from the engineer responsible for all things ZEnwifi . Alas I do not have a ZENwifi system to test this, so will have to take ASUS word on this and try sending a feedback form so they can look at the issue in more details. ———– Now 5G-2 main SSID no longer is the Prelink SSID. Thus, UI will not display Prelink SSID, if user finished the QIS setup then 5G-2 SSID encryption would not be Open System. ———-

Thanks for that, I completed the whole setup using the app again.

I have completed this again, but this time using the following hard factory reset method rather than the pin reset I am used to:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078

This time, on setup it gave the option in the app to set SSID name and password for 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1 and most importantly 5GHz-2.  Previously 5GHz-2 was not an option.

You can also set different SSID and password for 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2.  Again, previously 5GHz-2 was not an option.

It added _dwb to the end of the 5GHz-2 SSID but keeps the same password as the 2.4GHz and 5GHZ-1.

Not really sure what the 2 different reset methods actually do.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Interesting, I will pass this back to ASUS so they can adjust it ready for the next release if they can

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

Not sure if I have set up IPV6 correctly on the ZenWiFi

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Getting brave ;-)

I assume your Nokia Modem already supports IPv6 and is working well, Hyperoptic  was still rolling out IPv6 to your area ? and not sure if they finished ?

Go to Google search bar and type ‘what is my IP address’ and this should show your IP address.

Then we have to decide what you wish to do with IPV6 ?

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

I just wanted to test the capabilities of this router .

The Nokia modem seems to be IPv6 supported.

The google search returned an IP address with a string of letters and numbers starting 2a01:

Not sure if I need IPv6 or what it is useful for, but browsing seems faster.  It could just be placebo and my imagination

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Playing with tech is always fun

One of the main advantages (I see it as a disadvantage from a SOHO / consumer security perspective – not commercial grade firewalls) is that NAT is potentially no longer needed, so good for gaming etc..

2a01: is IPv6 so that is great news take a look at the reference, (good read)

IPv6 Explained for Beginners

BTW: looks like from you images you are running a dual stack so if an iIPv6 address is not recognised, then it will try an IPv4 alternative which is good, but does put extra load on device performing this action.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Also try from a different device and again type ‘what is my IP address’ and see if IPv6 address is slightly different ?

This sould tell us if each device has its own unique IPv6 address or not ?

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 108
    • Regular

Also try from a different device and again type ‘what is my IP address’ and see if IPv6 address is slightly different ? This sould tell us if each device has its own unique IPv6 address or not ?

The first 16 digits were the same, then the rest are different for the second device I checked.  Does that mean it is working properly?

I don’t know how I set up ‘dual stack’, not something I did intentionally.  Is there a switch to turn this on or off?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

It does, each device is receiving it own / unique IPv6 Address

The first 16 digits were the same, then the rest are different for the second device I checked.  Does that mean it is working properly?

Not advisable as some sites (like this forum) may not be reachable if you are only running IPv6 – alas I do not use ZENwifi, so hopefully somebody else can advise ?

I don’t know how I set up ‘dual stack’, not something I did intentionally.  Is there a switch to turn this on or off?

Raven
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

Hopefully just a one of, but will be interesting if others have a simular experience ? ———– Test conducted with latest official version, encryption is not Open System. Remains to be WPA/WPA2. No issue. ———-

I’m the guy from the other forum! :-p
    I’ve had the same issue with my 4 XT8 and firmware 42095 (initial set-up made after an hard reset)… 5GHz-2 was open, visibile and with a strange SSID (“ASUS F0” or something similar)

I simply changed the values… no problems at all…

By the way: reverted to 42095… 43169 and 43170 have several bugs:
    – issue with re-keying for backhaul (each “Group Key Rotation Interval” seconds, by default once an hour) – traffic between node and main router is lost for 10-15 seconds. I did a long-run ping session on all my nodes simultaneously (with pinginfo free program) and I found this: the nodes lost ping for about 10 second consecutively, after a period of time, then ping return ok… and so on…
    – node reconnection: after 1 day the third node of mine was connected to home-router with 2.4ghz instead of using 5Ghz with the second node
    – 2.4Ghz issues… not for me, but several users have issues with older smartphones or eith vacuum cleeners or with others domotical things…

with 42095 I’m perfectly solid now… no ping lost anymore and no mesh-node’s reconnection

ps: I feedback the first issue with the web gui…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Raven.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Raven.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Small world and welcome back 

ASUS for the ZenWifi are looking at why the pin reset does not work the same way as Hard Factory Reset @dodgydrains identified last week, if I get any feedback from ASUS I will let you know

Raven
    Participant
    • Posts 9
    • Recruit

Oh, another issue was the free RAM: with 43169/43170 I had 99-100mb of free RAM.

With 42095 I obtain 145-150 mb

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com