Factory settings for a 7530

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems AVM Factory settings for a 7530

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Grisu
    Participant
    • Topics 8
    • Replies 241
    • Total Posts 249
    • UKTechHub Regular

I see, yes thats a little part of diagnoses -> security page output.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

I see, yes thats a little part of diagnoses -> security page output.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

hushcoden
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 14
    • Total Posts 15
    • UKTechHub Regular

After years of troubles using both Asus and Netgear routers, I decided it’s time to change and I will stick with the Fritz!box, and I was thinking to buy a repetear (the 1200 should be a good match for the 7530?), and my noob question is: will this halve my WiFi speed or what?

I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to WiFi repeaters and not sure if this will actually create a mesh topology ? If so, does it mean WiFi speed won’t be halved ?

The 7530 is running as an access point connected to my OPNsense router.

Tia!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by hushcoden.
    UK Sentinel
    • Topics 331
    • Replies 1772
    • Total Posts 2103
    • UKTechHub Legend

Don’t blame you, @Grisu is using an mesh system with his Fritz!Box I believe, hopefully he will see this post

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Grisu
    Participant
    • Topics 8
    • Replies 241
    • Total Posts 249
    • UKTechHub Regular

Yes I see it, but cant answer.

A repeater can be used as just only repeater or in a mesh, for you it will mean the same, only easier to administrate in a mesh. Technically it will be the same.

To answer you question there are so many more parameters needed to know.

Do you need more speed within you home network (e.g. to your NAS) or only for clients to go outside to have internet access.

If later you wont see any degrade in speed as your line speed is usually far below wifi speeds.

Simple explanation: Common wifi repeaters with no additional band for backhaul will use the wifi-bandwith for both, talking to master-router and your client. So max. wifi-speed will be shared in both directions and that means somewhat halved. As long as this is still more than your DSL-linespeed you wont see any changes or negative behavior. It will be even better, as your client gets faster wifi-connection to the repeater and needs less time slots to transmit/receive, so other clients can use the wifi channel longer and so get faster speeds.

Usually best would be to have a LAN connection from master router to repeater, than you will have full wifi speed to clients from repeater too, even true for ftth or fiber-lines.

Other considerations are: 5GHz needed or only 2,4GHz depends on your home situation and clients, many other wifi around and some more. Maybe better to go with an 1750E or 2400. I dont use repeaters  but everywhere fritz-box in repeater mode with LAN or wifi backhaul (connection to master router). Reason to do so is to have DECT and LAN ports everywhere and 3 of them I got with a DSL-defect for free, you might not need DECT and then a repeater is fine.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Grisu.
    hushcoden
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 14
    • Total Posts 15
    • UKTechHub Regular

Thanks Grisu, and I agree that a 1200 wil be more than enough with my 80/20 FTTC 

I think I will save a few quid and will go with the 1200 – I don’t see an actual benefit of installing a 2400 (plus in the future when WiFi 6E will be established, I will go with a full mesh)…

Grisu
    Participant
    • Topics 8
    • Replies 241
    • Total Posts 249
    • UKTechHub Regular

Might be a good decision to go.

I will wait for 6E too as wifi6 wont be exactly brilliant in my case – no need for it even with my 300Mb/s line.

But be aware, 1200 is for both bands 2,4 and 5GHz summarized, and it es maximum speed you only get in best case nearby. And then its still link rate and not throughput. So if you get more realistic but still optimistic 150 Mb/s link rate to both sides (repeater to client and to router) the repeater will need half time for each, that makes only 75Mb/s for client and still with all this Wifi overhead, you will end up with about 40Mb/s real speed in that example. If client uses 2,4GHz and 5GHz backhaul to master-box (or vice versa) you will get double speed as traffic is separated to different bands and wont ‘halve speed’ what you reffered to regarding wifi-repeaters. Still wifi has 40% overhead and usually you can say real speed is about half link-rate.

All all depending on clients too, if your client got only one antenna it is limited by this. If you dont have surrounding wifi you can easily double wifi speed by using 40MHz bandwith on 2,4GHz and full 80 (or even 160) on 5GHz, most clients will support 40 and 80MHz bandwith.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Grisu.
    hushcoden
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 14
    • Total Posts 15
    • UKTechHub Regular

Just in case you didn’t already read it, it’s an interesting article: https://en.avm.de/guide/crossband-repeating-an-important-function/

Grisu
    Participant
    • Topics 8
    • Replies 241
    • Total Posts 249
    • UKTechHub Regular

Thanks, didnt see this page in the past but thats how I supposed it to work.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.