Asus DSL Routers

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS Asus DSL Routers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Torax Outlaw
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

I’m currently awaiting the UK release of the Asus DSL-AX82U, can’t find an exact release date anywhere on the net, so I’m happy to wait.

In the meantime I’ve found a decent Asus DSL-AC88U. I do have a couple of questions about it before I purchase it.

1. Will this work with my BT Fibre 2?
    2. Is it compatible with my current BT Black Wi-Fi discs?
    3. Is it compatible with my BT 4K YouView Box?
    4. Does it support VPN server settings put on the router?

If I have to get some different Wi-Fi discs, I don’t mind. Just wanted some advice and some answers to my questions, thanks.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

I believe the DSL-AX82U should be available around March time, but I cannot guarantee that as not had an update from ASUS for a little while. also it does take a while for firmwares to mature, but a nice investment if you are happy to wait and be patient.

The DSL-AC88U has not had a firmware update for nearly two years, so from a security perspective, a risk

If you  have an old BT Modem lying around then the ASUS RT-AC68U. or use your existing ISP hub and double nat from that.

The DSL-AC88U does not support AiMesh,so BT disk could not be used and VPN services were not fully matured.

Hope this helps ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Torax Outlaw
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll wait for the DSL-AX82U to be released. I think I’ll have to buy the white BT discs which can be used with any router, the black ones will only work with the SmartHub 2.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll wait for the DSL-AX82U to be released. I think I’ll have to buy the white BT discs which can be used with any router, the black ones will only work with the SmartHub 2.

I did not realise that, maybe instead of purchasing new BT White discs, purchase a second less expensive ASUS RT Router and Wifi Mesh them ?

ASUS AiMesh

Torax Outlaw
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

I did not realise that, maybe instead of purchasing new BT White discs, purchase a second less expensive ASUS RT Router and Wifi Mesh them ? ASUS AiMesh

That could work, but what router would work best with the DSL-AX82U, along with the VPN settings I’ll be using on the main router.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

Any half descent ASUS RT AC Router should support AiMesh with the DSL-AX82U, only draw back is that if AiMesh nodes are AC, they will not be as fast as AX AiMesh nodes.

Money not a consideration, then a AX6100 WiFi6 should work a treat as a node, or a more modest  RT-AC86U.

Torax Outlaw
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Thanks. I’ll probably sort everything out, once, if and when the DSL-AX82U is released.

Torax Outlaw
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

Oh another question what’s the best and latest Asus AX powerline ethernet adapter that’ll work brilliantly with the DSL-AX82U?

My landlord chips in with the internet bill, and he has a couple of devices connected to my BT powerline ethernet adapters. If I do go with a whole network/router upgrade, I want to get these upgraded as well.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Torax Outlaw. Reason: Missing information
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

Both TP-Link and Netgears Powerline extenders always seem to have positive feedback, hopefully a good starting point

Torax Outlaw
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

What is the best that you’d recommend?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

The Devolo Magic 1 WiFi Starter Kit is the best but has a higher cost, otherwise maybe the TP-LINK AV600 offering better value , it does depend on how many Ethernet ports each device needs and if wifi is important ?

A review by Techradar which may help ?

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.