DSL-AC88U-B Annex B version Firmware

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS DSL-AC88U-B Annex B version Firmware

This topic contains 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Pavel Potucek
    Participant

Dear testers,

I’m the Asus user from Czech Republic. I’m maybe one the first here using DSL-AC88U-B Annex B version of the relative new Asus DSL-modem-router. Several years I worked with the predecessor router DSL-AC68U (both Annex A and B) satisfied very well. Since this year the Czech only owner of all DSL network, the CETIN company, allows for the 100Mbps and 250Mbps VDSL for home users. Unfortunately they use profile 35.b only. And therefore I had to replace my loved DSL-AC68U with the new Asus flagship DSL-AC88U-B. I use it now with profile 17a with rate 50/5Mbps and have a plan to switch it to the 80-100 or 250 Mbps rate with profile 35b. Unfortunately the official firmware on new device provided, is very “hot” and “early” and have many not “final tailored” functionalities, as his predecessor have OK and solved. I assume, any partially beta update in time after 503 ver., should be implement as step forward before I will switch to 100Mbps.

503 FW:

For example, after switching TrendMicro on, the BT download speed goes down from 50Mbps to 50kbsp, etc.

Bridge mode for O2 TV – IPTV is displayed on wrong main data VLAN 848 instead of bridged 835 for IPTV ignoring setup, tag remove button is missing instead of older router, where all is done OK.

Other troubles are similar to Annex A version mentioned here and are very good reason to update. The memory bug I didn’t investigate.

Please, is it possible to renew the beta firmware download link for Annex B version of DSL-AC88U-B ?

As I discovered, there is no other source available on net today. And the others, of course, published the Annex A version only.

I will appreciate help here

Thank you in advance

Pavel Potucek

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Pavel Potucek.
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Yes the DSL-AC88U Annex B, you are first user on this forum.

The DSL-AC88U Annex B was designed for Germany and Czech Republic etc (originally) and I have an update as to Firmware.

I spoke with ASUS today and they say, there are no recent beta’s for the DSL-AC88U Annex B, but they plan to hopefully release next week a Formal (official) Firmware Version for the DSL-AC88U Annex B, which will be available by there download servers/website.

Hope this helps?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

Hey Pavel,

Do you know which profile does CETIN use for the 100/10 Mbits?

I currently have ASUS DSL-AC55U, which doesn´t support VDSL profile 35b, and I am stuck on 55/10 Mbits with the profile 17a even though I have 100/10 subscription.

I thought that CETIN uses the profile 35b only for 250 Mbits, but maybe you know more than me.

Attachments:

Pavel Potucek
    Participant

Thank you Sentinel, this is good advice. Hopefully Asus will publish it without delay. Regards PP

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

Hey Sentinel,

Do you know if the Annex A and Annex B versions of DSL-AC88U have the same hardware and features apart of the different Annex support? I am just curious.  Thanks.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Hey Sentinel, Do you know if the Annex A and Annex B versions of DSL-AC88U have the same hardware and features apart of the different Annex support? I am just curious. Thanks.

They have the same hardware and for Annex B are the same (almost) but Annex A are not interchangeable. hence why the DSL-AC88U -B to deal with the older (slower) legacy differences in Germany etc. hence a different DSL-AC88U needed?

(I think, it was a long while (years) since I last thought about this sort of crap 😉  )

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Hey Pavel, Do you know which profile does  use for the 100/10 Mbits? I currently have ASUS DSL-AC55U, which doesn´t support VDSL profile 35b, and I am stuck on 55/10 Mbits with the profile 17a even though I have 100/10 subscription. I thought that CETIN uses the profile 35b only for 250 Mbits, but maybe you know more than me.

According to wikivisually.com  (Czech – CETIN) “and reading between the lines”, offers 100/10 Mbits via VDSL2  and 35b is for 250/25 so I think your 17a profile is correct on your DSL Router.

Attachments:

Pavel Potucek
    Participant

Hi Damis, the same problem.

I have also the DSL-AC68U – it adopts profiles: -8a, 8b, 8c, 8d, 12a, 12b, 17a and 30a. In O2 CZ network worked this box for me fine till 50/5 VDSL rate (17a profile). I tried switch to 100/10 VDSL with autosync on, but without effort. Many restarts with all possible setup fallowed. Nothing worked. Then I  ordered O2 for rollback to 50/5 Mbps and 17a.

Next day I found in the O2 offer very well promoted box “O2 Smart-BOX”.  O2 CZ, of course, push it to customers with high pressure for 100/10 and 250/20 VDSL contracts (They have here add. money from IoT services, etc.) I read the tech. spec. and there are profiles ……, 17a, 35b ! What surprise: Profile 17a doesn’t work on 68U and 30a is missing on “O2 Smart Box”! So next I confirmed the speeds 50+ in Czech Republic probably use the 35b profile. Don’t know, tech. or politics.

So as I described , In Czech Republic you will need probably new dsl-modem-router with 35b profile for upgrade from 50 to 100 Mbps VDSL. Annex B, of course. I know nothing about Germany.

Hope it helps

Regards

Pavel

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

Thanks for the info.

I have managed to dig up a documentation about parameters of the physical layer made by CETIN.

Under Profile 35b there is a table which marks speed rates corresponding to the loop distance which goes down to 500 metres and 80 Mbits. So it is certainly possible that profile 35b could be used for 100 Mbits. But I have no confirmation.

I attached a screenshot. (Labels are in Czech, sorry! )

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Damis Damis.
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Thanks for the info. I have managed to dig up a documentation about parameters of the physical layer made by CETIN. Under Profile 35b there is a table which marks speed rates corresponding to the loop distance which goes down to 500 metres and 80 Mbits. So it is certainly possible that profile 35b could be used for 100 Mbits. But I have no confirmation. I attached a screenshot. (Labels are in Czech, sorry! )

As @Pavel Potucek, has mentioned it does seem that profile 35b is needed for 100M service, so looks like you are going to have to purchase a suitable device, or modem at least. let us know how it goes as I am sure others will also be struggling with these issues in Czech.

Pavel Potucek
    Participant

Hi Sentinel,

please, have you any news about Annex B firmware? Pavel.

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

rakimbadu wrote:
    Thanks a lot!
    Spoke with ASUS and unfortunately they say they have removed host-uniq field from the next formal release (due next week) but will be included in a later beta, off record I am not aware of any releases where this option worked either but it is at least now on there priority list 😉

This is meant for Annex A version so I suppose there is a chance that firmware for Annex B could come with it this week (written on Monday)

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

I can ask for Annex B, but as it should be out in a day or so, I will check formal release also

Pavel Potucek
    Participant

Thank you, the new firmware comes in handy, Pavel

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

I’ve just found out that CETIN uses DSLAM equipment from Alcatel and Lucent in newly installed cabinets. Is that information anyhow useful?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.