My WAN IP address is not the same as external IP, why?

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS My WAN IP address is not the same as external IP, why?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Grisu Grisu 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lydoncon
    Participant

I’m sorry for that I’m not very knowledgeable about these issues.

Is there a negative impact on my connection?? such as ping vs online games.

my modem wan ip 100.110…

visible on website whatmyip.us

I don’t use vpn and similar software…

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by  lydoncon.
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

The Answer will depend upon what ASUS router this is, is it a DSL or RT Router (I assume RT) If RT model than I can guess the WAN IP is that of your Modems IP +1.

WAN IP = ISP modem/Gateway

External IP = Actual Internet IP Address

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

XRW
    Participant

your ISP have allocated you Carrier-grade NAT IP address ,  yes it can create issue like Strict NAT on gaming consoles , closed ports ,  tough to access computer or NAS from outside of network etc etc…..you can look your NAT type on your Gaming Device to know for sure ? …………………………..if you notice any issue you might need to ask your ISP to provide you Static WAN IPv4 address ………………….. if you don’t use services that needs dealing with ports etc … you will be fine

lease time is set very low …usually lease time is set below 4Hr if there is some kind of maintenance going at back end………………….but i can be wrong

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  XRW.
    Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

correct, its asking permanent for new leases, not good.

By default it is set to 86400s (=24h), for special needs you can go down to 3600s (=1h) and you should better not go below this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.