FTTP Query

Home Forums UK Broadband ISP’s … BT FTTP Query

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 94
    • Regular

Hi all,

Looks like my parents are considering FTTP but I’m curious how it will work.

At present, Telephone line comes to the house via a pole so i presume the Fibre will come over the pole too?

Also, does the Fibre and ONT box need to be next/near to the BT Main Socket?

IF we moved the main house number to BT’s digital service (VOIP) does that mean we need a new house phone and how would we connect the various telephone sockets round the house to it?

Do I need to use the BT Provided router or will my Asus RT-AX86U be ok to use, bearing n mind no Dect port on it?

Early days on this at the moment, think parents are thinking if they save on the line rental, that money can go towards FTTP as home phone isn’t used much due to mobiles.

Also, does FTTP come with a battery back up as only time it would be useful is if power went out (very very rare, last time was a couple of years ago and that was a large part of the country and obviously mobiles stopped working so would be handy if there was a battery back up for this purpose just for them to be able to call and let me know and also check for faults with provider etc as not immediately obviously if its just your home or an entire area.

Many thanks

Kevin

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

FTTP installs are supplied with a Optical Network Termination (ONT) device which takes the light (optical) from a fibre cable and converts it to and electrical signal – so think of it as you new modem and then you just plug in you current router to the ONT via an Ethernet cable and you are good to go.

FTTP is supplied by BT as well as other (City Fibre – Virgin  ) so unless and usually dig up pathways and you parents may have a Fibre Termination point at the end of the drive already, if so then the engineers will just use this to make a conenction to house with either digging up a small trench between the end of your drive to your parents home.

If no such termination point is available at the end of the drive – then yes the fibre will follow the same path as your parents current DSL service (overhead).

BT do offer another service which is called Fibre to the Premises (on-demand) and this is where you do not live within a FTTP area but you current Street Cabinet supports VDSL and thus an engineer can run a pure fibre cable alongside you current DSL (copper) cable and you gain a  FTPP this way,

Alas FTTPOn-demand is very expensive and runs into the £1000’s

No idea about battery pack for ONT kit

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 94
    • Regular

Thanks, The price offered isn’t into thousands and not seen any termination point.  So guess will be overhead cable.

So potentially, I could get it put in a different location to BT socket and the jun a cat5e/6 cable to my router? I figured be easier to get the fibre come into proprty up stairs & then run a cat5e/6 cable under floorboards etc downstairs to where asus router is but wasnt sure if it required the BT master phone socket to be close by as all pics i’ve seen online mostly show installed next to BT socket.

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3164
    • Skipper

Try below link as by entering telephone number, will give you what is available via Local cabinet

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com