Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
To briefly summarize my XT8 experience . . . Quantity 3 v1 units used in AP only mode purchased in Jan of 23. It took nearly 18 months of firmware updates before the mesh would stay operational on the second 5Ghz band for more than a week between reboots. I was concerned if I could ever leave the home for more than a week as with the automatic reboots there were instances where more than one reboot was required. So I went through the effort and cost to install Ethernet backhaul.
Then just 2 weeks ago my primary unit completely “lights out” failed. I tried multiple pin resets, swapped power adapters, etc., but nothing brought the unit back.
I ordered a new xt8 and received a v2. Besides the different power adapter that appears more robust the v2 unit’s memory consumption is far less. Even with the daily memory leak after 9 days of operation I am still at only 51% memory use.
I have reached out to ASUS regarding some type of replacement, gift card, credit, etc. regarding the failed v1 unit as it seems a 33% failure rate after less than 2 years is substandard for product quality these days. In over twenty years of home operational 7/24 network gadgets from many brands I have never had such a failure. So far my dialogue with ASUS has been disappointing for any kind of “customer satisfaction” actions regarding the failed unit. I will update if that changes.
You need to login in order to vote
Much thanks to all that post in this forum. In the past 2 years since owning 3 of these ASUS units this forum has been by far the most helpful.
Background intro: My setup is quantity 3 of these Zenwifi AX units. All are only in AP mode. I purchased them to leverage the 3rd band for a high speed bridge for a few wired devices at different points in the home where I did not have wired Ethernet. It is only since the last two firmware updates that I could go a complete week without having to reboot the system as the 3rd band would drop leaving the mesh running only on the 2.5 slow band (yellow line). Indeed it was so frustrating that I finally decided to spend the money to install Ethernet to enable Ethernet backhaul between the 3 units (which I understand was also troublesome until the past few updates). My general goal is stability sufficient to allow for only monthly reboots. Prior to this most recent update I have not been able to get past a week. Finally I am now at ten days and cautiously optimistic.
Additional info on this latest release: I also have seen “tainted” entries in my log since the last update, but they were for the http daemon. Also on the first reboot after this most recent update while the Ethernet backhaul came up fine and was showing traffic one of the mesh satellite units had an entry in the wifi log as being connected via the 2.5 even though it was on Ethernet backhaul. I rebooted the system again and that issue cleared.
Prior to buying this ASUS system I had three Apple AirPort Extreme units in a different home that ran flawlessly in AP only mode between monthly reboots. Hopefully ASUS will get us to that point while this hardware generation remain supported :-)
-
This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by
Oltex8.
You need to login in order to vote
-
This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts
