ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 139
    • Regular

Not sure if this is the right place to ask….

I am thinking of upgrading my Google Mesh wifi to the above.  Has anyone used this and does it suffer in any way like the unsupported Asus modem/router that shall not be named?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3395
    • Skipper

Not used this myself, From what I have seen online, seems revues are positive, but this is not a cheap option

Why you looking at changing from the Googlemesh, as this works well (usually) ?

The Netgear  Orbi rates well also ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 139
    • Regular

I have Hyperoptic 500mb package and the google mesh wifi is not giving me good coverage to my bedroom.  I ordered, and then cancelled the orbi as apparently it lacks parental control (you have to buy subscription even for schedule control).  The Asus one comes with full parental control and I can get for £300-£320 (it is expensive)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3395
    • Skipper

You have done your homework – Yes the Circle Smart Parental Controls Basics are very limited,

Basic. The Basic service plan is free and supports the following features:

• Filter. Control the content that each family member sees by changing the settings in their profiles. For more information,
    • History. View each family member’s browsing history using profiles. For more information,
    • Pause. Interrupt the Internet for individual devices, a family member’s profile, or the entire network.

Hopefully somebody else can advise on how good ASUS ZenWiFi AX  really is ?

Raven
    Participant
    • Posts 17
    • Regular

Hopefully somebody else can advise on how good ASUS ZenWiFi AX really is ?

I’ve bought four XT 8 (2×2 packs). I come from many years of experience with asus routers (I also helped the technical support in the field tests of their first modems with mediatek chipset, as the asus n55u), so I wanted to stay with them … Before this XT8 system I had 4 dsl-ac68u configured in mesh system. Unfortunately, the stability of the network was not optimal at all, with continuous disconnections of the nodes as soon as the network was “loaded” too much … With 4 XT8 devices I finally found “peace of mind”! I have an old house that develops in length and with thick walls, so the signal, in order to run the whole area, needs 3 repeaters (in addition to the router). The signal strength is almost identical to the dsl-ac68u (obviously there are legal limits), but the stability of the mesh network is not comparable, I think because the Zenfiwi AX system uses a specific band dedicated to backhaul. The network manages about 20/30 wifi devices, including home automation, video surveillance system, etc. without ever making a turn. The web interface is the usual (very complete) WRT from Asus and the app is really comfortable and well done … Yeah, I know that spending on 4 devices is crazy … but it is also true that the more you spend, the more you have …

You can see my network in the attacched image

ps: excuse my bad english!

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3395
    • Skipper

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 139
    • Regular

Hopefully somebody else can advise on how good ASUS ZenWiFi AX really is ?

I’ve bought four XT 8 (2×2 packs)

I bought the exact same and have now set them up.  My internet package is 500/500 and I get at least 350/250 all over the house.  Quite impressive but slightly over £500 is very expensive….

The IP address for the UI is 192.168.50.1, this is with the main unit connected to the Hyperoptic modem/router.

How do I get it to be 192.168.1.1?

Attachments:
    Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 445
    • Addict

This is the default IP on newer Asus routers, usually you can change modem IP and subnet for clients in settings tab.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Grisu.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3395
    • Skipper

Or try Advanced Settings > LAN > LAN IP if you are changing IP (I forget what you have) ?

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 139
    • Regular

That default IP on newer Asus routers, usually you can change modem IP and subnet for clients in settings tab.

No idea how to do that.  All I know is that when I type 192.168.1.1 it opens the Hyperoptic (Nokia) UI.  I already turned off the Wifi on the Nokia router, but there must be more.  Probably difficult……

Raven
    Participant
    • Posts 17
    • Regular

How do I get it to be 192.168.1.1?

Simply change the value here… I made exactly this operation…

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3395
    • Skipper

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 139
    • Regular

Is there a dummies guide?  What do I do (if anything) in the Nokia modem/router and what do I do on the Asus ZenWifi AX?  After doing this will I still be able to access the Nokia modem/router UI?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3395
    • Skipper

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ZenWiFi_XT8/ENG150200225801MAS_R02.pdf

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/604693.pdf (AC not AX) but should help

Is there a dummies guide? 

If both ZenWifi and Nokia Modem use 192.169.1.1 – then access to Zenwifi will be achievable, but for Nokia modem/router you will have to access it via its own wifi SSID – but if you leave Zenwifi on 192.168.50.1 then you should be able to access both by same main SSID

After doing this will I still be able to access the Nokia modem/router UI?

Leave it as is, no need to change anything

What do I do (if anything) in the Nokia modem/router

FYI :

ASUS ZENWif  is 192.168.50.1 (I believe)

Nokia modem is 192.168.1.1

Alas I have not used the Nokia Hyperhub router but hopefully others have ?

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 139
    • Regular

Thanks, I will check those links out.  As it stands these ZenWifi are really great.  After some optimisation getting 400/400 all round.

If Asus need any testing with beta firmware, more than happy to help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com