ASUS DSL-AC68U Help

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS DSL-AC68U Help

• This topic has 33 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by GrisuGrisu.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    UK SentinelUK Sentinel

That makes more sense, I did wonder what you meant earlier

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

dpuk
    Participant

Hi,

Here is a screen shot attached, I can now see PPPoE should I be using that instead of how it was set

to Automatic IP

UK SentinelUK Sentinel

That is what I think you should set it to PPPoE, and then you need to enter details to suit your ISP etc.

This would explain why your ASUS DDNS does not work currently (double NAT) ;-)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.

dpuk
    Participant

Thanks

So if I select PPPoE, what further details might I need to add related to ISP ??

UK SentinelUK Sentinel

Ok, so I spent a little time looking at this and it seems that the VM Hub 3 even when in Modem only Mode, by default this disables Wifi and NAT on the VM Hub 3. but the VM hub 3 does not act as a True modem, so as a result, the VM Hub 3 does not offer PPPoE – it only offers DHCP via WAN.

This means that the way you had your ASUS setup was correct, Wan type = Ethernet WAN and Automatic IP.

will have a look at ASUS DDNS workaround later today as this must be an issue for others also

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.

dpuk
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks very much for looking into this, I really appreciate your help.

What you say about PPPoE  & WAN type makes perfect sense, I just hope there is a solution

Thanks again

UK SentinelUK Sentinel

No problem, quick question, do you know if your ISP IP (WAN) address is fixed (have you paid for a static/fixed IP address) or do you just plug in VM Hub and it uses whatever IP address it is given by VM ?

dpuk
    Participant

Hello,

IP from ISP, is DHCP, they dont/wont offer a static IP sadly.

Thanks

GrisuGrisu
    Participant

I thought Asus DDNS works under Double-NAT too, not only Merlin since about a year but stock too.

Or is this only for RT not DSL?

UK SentinelUK Sentinel

I think for ASUSWRT-Merlin that will work, his firmware is legendary, I have dropped ASUS DSL team an email to ask if the DSL-AC68U can be used behind another Router for DDNS ?

ASUSWRT-Merlin Changelog – 384.7 (7-Oct-2018)

———–

– NEW: Added option to retrieve WAN IP from either the local
    interface (like before) or through a remote server
    (which works through double NAT) for DDNS.

———–

It is the WAN IP address that is the main issue I believe for the DSL-AC68U sitting behind another router .

GrisuGrisu
    Participant

FWIW today they released 385.10000 for RT-AC68U with only unspecified bug fix.

UK SentinelUK Sentinel

Ok, so I spoke with ASUS and alas the DSL-AC68U does not have the option to use DDNS behind another router or indeed double NAT (by default).

What is required is the creation of a type of cron job or script that updates the DDNS records every hour, but this is not an easy process to conduct on router.

As your IP address issued by ISP is dynamic in nature, this means every so often you IP address could change, hence DDNS would not function.

Some users update IP address via Desktop, but again this is a manual job.

Personally, and if you are feeling brave and DSL-AC68U cannot be returned or replaced with say the RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U, is to convert the DSL-A68U to run ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware and this feature to monitor WAN IP address is built in.

RMerlin (ASUSWRT-Merlin) Firmware and the ASUS DSL-AC68U (PPPoE)

Note: that this conversion is one way as some users have experienced (mine was fine) issues reverting back to DSL-AC68U with the modem working correctly.

Note1: Only ASUSWRT-Merlin supports this option for ASUS routers and is an excellent firmware that uses ASUSWRT code and adds extra features, I use it for keeping kids under control ;-) and is very easy to install on RT ASUS routers.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.

GrisuGrisu
    Participant

Why dont you use GNUton’s firmware for DSL-AC68U, he supports most Merlin features.

I would try it as first step and without any risc!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by GrisuGrisu.
    UK SentinelUK Sentinel

Simply put “TRUST” RMerlin has been around for ever and has a positive history , GNUton’s fork are relatively new as is he/they

Much like VOXEL, whom adds great value to NETGEAR Routers, a new kid on the block and only time will tell

dpuk
    Participant

All,

Thanks all for your input and clarification on the double natting situation.

If I was to get another Asus router, which model supports double natting & DDNS ? (for a cable connection not DSL)

I now have options, I am happy to flash the router with merlin if that will achieve my goal

or I have a DSL-AC68U for sale.

Thanks again

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.