DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

I thought that had sorted it – factory reset of the vigor. When it started up the PC registered as being connected but just as quickly disconnected again. Now the router shows as connected, but the PC not. I’ve been at this for hours now!

Reboot PC to see if it gets a new IP address, if no luck then reboot ASUS, if all else fails follow below …

Now factory reset the ASUS router and use the QIS,

btw- do you know what firmware version the Draytek 130 is running ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 75
    • Regular

Great, thanks for your help!

Fingers crossed it comes tomorrow, had to get from 2 different places..

Kev

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

I’m giving that a go. None of my devices will connect at the moment. It’s only been four hours so far …

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 75
    • Regular

What’s the best way to update the firmware on the Draytek 130? Can I plug a cable from lan port into existing network and access it and update it or so I simply unplug BT router, connect up the modem to the BT socket, plug a computer into the lan port on modem and update?  Then once done, then plug in the ASUS router?

or plug in the modem tot BT socket, connect up the ASUS router and then enter in BT username in Asus router and let it all connect up and then update the modem after?

Kev

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 75
    • Regular

Looks like the last firmware for 130 came out in Oct 2019 so fingers crossed it comes with latest version, can’t imagine they have had them sitting on the shelf for 1.5 years?

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Looks like the last firmware for 130 came out in Oct 2019 so fingers crossed it comes with latest version, can’t imagine they have had them sitting on the shelf for 1.5 years? Kev

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

Factory reset both router and modem, given static IP to PC, no joy. Chrome says DNS problem. I’ve set the router to use Google’s DNS.

In the Draytek MPoA is disabled. I’m guessing this ought to be enabled, not PPPoE? I’m just swapping that around to see that brings any joy. It does seem to have worked! Hooray. But whilst I’ve not got a functioning internet the new problem is that the Draytek has become inaccessible via 192.168.2.1 . What fun,

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

Sorry that should read ‘now got’ – the internet is working. Thanks so much for the tips. I was getting towards pulling my hair out. I cope without accessing the modem for a while. I guess it will end up bugging me though

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Great news, so for TalkTalk, swapping on the Vigor 130 from PPPOE to MPoA did the trick ?

Try running on the PC’s CMD Line (tracert bbc.co.uk) and see if the modems IP address has changed (2nd hop)

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

Yes, that’s what worked for me. Not sure how stable everything is. The modem seems to be up, but the router has disconnected a couple of times. I’ll try what you suggest later on after work. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

Results …

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Yes, that’s what worked for me. Not sure how stable everything is. The modem seems to be up, but the router has disconnected a couple of times. I’ll try what you suggest later on after work. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

Shame, I had hoped your Modem IP address maybe visible,

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 75
    • Regular

What’s the best way to update the firmware on the Draytek 130? Can I plug a cable from lan port into existing network and access it and update it or so I simply unplug BT router, connect up the modem to the BT socket, plug a computer into the lan port on modem and update? Then once done, then plug in the ASUS router? or plug in the modem tot BT socket, connect up the ASUS router and then enter in BT username in Asus router and let it all connect up and then update the modem after? Kev

Got my modem and router today, what’s the best way to set it up?  Set it all up as is and then update firmware, providing can reach modem web gui from PC and router routes it?

Kev

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

I plugged mine into the socket and then a laptop, the update button is in the GUI. Once done I then plugged in the router. It’s all running swimmingly at the moment. After the dsl ac88u it’s like a dream.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3039
    • Skipper

Congrats, to keep it simple, you could download the latest Vigor 130 from below link and update the modem whilst offline, then you can plug it into DSL Master Socket and job done.

(or try as @pavlf details) never tried it that way but sounds easier 

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

Use the recommended Firmware (3rd in list) Vigor 130 3.8.4.1 BT Firmware – RecommendedDownloadSize 11.7 MB

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com