DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

On your BT  VDSL 80 Mbps connection, I will not matter, If you was on FTTH 1000 Mbps connection, then that is where you would see a difference between 82U and 86U.

The DSL AX82U is the simplest solution and you do not sound like a power user, or have any plans to move over to FTTH,  so the DSL AX82U should be fine but do remember, the DSL AX82U is new, so firmware will be buggy for a while.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 370
    • Addict

If you plan to get fiber in the next few years better get router and separate (used) modem – then you only have to change to ONT with no work and sell modem.

Otherwise I am not the person to help for UK, Sentinel will answer all your questions. What I could read there may be problems in UK with private modems not allowed by BT.

[add: Oh Sentinel just replied a minute before, didnt see it while writing.]

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Grisu.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

@Grisu. Always good to have lots of forum members views

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Thanks for your replies.  It’s the fact it is new and may have some issues for a while that’s a bit concerning especially if it drops internet etc hence wondering to go for the separate modem / router which has been out longer and hopefully less issue?

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Thanks for your replies. It’s the fact it is new and may have some issues for a while that’s a bit concerning especially if it drops internet etc hence wondering to go for the separate modem / router which has been out longer and hopefully less issue? Kev

Sounds like a safer plan

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Thanks, reason being due to needing to WFH on an doff, can’t really have internet going down frequently :)

So I guess choices are either Asus RT-AX82U or RT-AX86U along with the Draytek 130 modem.  How many wifi SSID’s can they have?  I was considering setting 1 up for all my internet devices like smart plugs and then having another one purely for tablet/phones/tv etc that way smartplugs can stay on the lower WIFI whilst my other devices could take better use of the faster speeds.  Also then have a separate one for Guests maybe.  The main setting point is i’d setup the same SSID/pswd for smart devices so as not to need to go round and change them all and then have a different SSID for main devices and then one for visitors/guests to use if required.

Kev

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 370
    • Addict

On Asus routers one main and 3 additional (guest, IoT and whatever you like). Even possible to set different for each band or different security settings (WPA) but you will loose AiMesh (band steering).

But a cheaper non ax would do fine in your situation too, you wont benefit from ax with your slow line (<300Mb/s).

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

If you can afford the RT-AX86U, then I would go for it,  as @Grisu has said, overkill, but it is nice to have little extra under the hood, just incase you change your mind about FTTH

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Yes, appreciate internet isn’t quick enough but was thinking might held with the multiple devices being connected, especially as more devices will be wifi 6 compatible in the future :)

Plus access speed for local access :)

Kev

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by kev2021.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Enjoy your new RT-AX86U

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Thanks all.

Is the router easy to setup with a draytek 130?  I presume i access the draytek 130, enter in ISP info and then connect router once modem is connected to DSL? or do i just plug the draytek in and then the router and enter ISP info on the router instead of the modem?

Been a very long time since I had a separate modem and router.  Was back when I had ADSL many many years ago.

Not seem much info online about people using these devices, seem some uses with someone have sky and trying to use AX86U.

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

The draytek 130 is a plug and play device, so just plug it in and it should not need any configuration etc. (I am using one currently)

The ISP details bthomehub@btbroadband.com & password are entered into the router, luckily when you turn on router for the first time, you will enter a set-up wizard which  can be navigated  easily

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

ah, terrific thanks!

I saw some info online saying they put the BT username/pswd in the draytek 130 so thats where i got the info from.

Glad its plug and play sounds much easier if info put in router :)

Thanks.

Still checking out options but so far for AX86U and AX82U on my list :)  Going to compare prices, seems 86U is out of stock in fair number of places but the AX82U is in stock so will see what happens when i finally dial in my decision.

Thanks again for your help and information.  Will be in touch when I compile a complete list and then reduce it down to my final options :)  Just gather research/info atm.

Oh BTW – Can the AX86U & AX82U create a VPN tunnel to another of the same model router? I’m thinking i might get one for parents place and then create a VPN tunnel (when needed, not constantly connected) for transferring over any files.  Considering using it as a way of storing important files in an alternate location on the NAS there as plenty of space available and wouldn’t be massive storage, probably only couple of gig of critical files initially and then just updates as and when required, maybe once a week or similar.  This way no need for cloud storage fees etc.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

I am not so hot on ASUS VPN’s , but looks easy. does get complicated if you then want to administer remote VPN router etc.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033578/

https://community.ui.com/questions/SOLVED-Site-Site-VPN-with-USG-and-ASUS-RT-N66U-based-on-OpenVPN/68e66ae5-edb3-44ec-9140-46040633d77b

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

thanks

Kev

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.