DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS & Wireless DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

Just realised, if i use my WAN IP under https etc, it is accessible so I’ve just turned off enable web access from WAN and now can’t reach router login page…. dam didn’t know that has been available all this time :(

Kev

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

Also just withdrew from there privacy thing as it seems they will collect web history, IP address, file names etc so means I cannot use the QoS, AiProtection, traffic analyser, remote connection etc.

Seems a bit off they provide these features but then you have to agree to companies being able to view everything you do on the internet i.e. all sites you visit, what files you view/download etc…

Do most people disable these? I’ve never had those features on BT routers so not like i’ll miss them, just seems like paying for something that looks good but then there is a catch in using them.

Look forward to the answers to my mutiple posts – sorry just posting as I come across something else :)

Kev

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 478
    • Addict

There have been some rumours about TrendMicro in the past (about 2 years ago), I think now it is ‘quite’ ok to use it again, but bad feeling remains.

I personally would avoid it if possible, others are trusting …

I think nobody can give you the one and only correct answer. You will always have to watch the web for actual reports!

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

The 160 MHz allows you to send and receive data at a faster level, but if you only have an 80/20 Mbps internet connection, then this is where the bottleneck will be (Internet)

160 MHz is not widely supported by many devices and I do tend to leave mine turned OFF as this then means one less potential problem.

Seems you are enjoying you new toy

BTW – AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost and Web history data is collected by Trend Micro

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

Yes, sorry i thought it was ASUS but when i then withdrew it from Privacy tab and went into AIProtection, i did the scan it said 7 “issues/security” etc, I’ve got it down to 5 BUT 3 of them require AIProtection on and when i go to enable it, it says trend micro will be sent ip, url, filenames, web history etc etc so decided to leave it off.  I’m unsure about upnp, i was going to turn it off as i thought this was more for USB devices plugged in but in the router its under the PPPoE section so i left it on for now.  I need 1 port forward rule enabled so can’t turn that off BUT the device i forward to is only on when i need it on and only for the duration I need it and then its turned off so pretty limited opportunity for anyone.

Do people in general use Remote Connection from the mobile App?  one big advantage for the BTSmarthub was the app lets me reboot it.  On occasion my IoT devices have dropped off the network and I’ve been unable to access them and a reboot of the smarthub remotely brings them back online which is great but I guess now, with modem + router, whilst i could reboot the router, if its the modem I’m stuck till i get home as unable to reboot that remotely to my knowledge, which is where the all in one was very handy.

I’m considering the DSL-AX82U for another location just because it will be easy to maintain, if the remote control option is now ok or if general opinion is to avoid it and not have it send all your data to another company.

Yes, new toy is certainly different to BTSmarthub, still getting my way round it.  One thin i did notice also, was you change icons for the devices connected but weirdly, there is no icon for a network switch.  Seems a bit odd as I’d imagine most people buying these type of routers have a network switch, even if its only a small Netgear 5 or 8 port switch.

Is there a way to limit the data that is sent? for instance, can I turn on remote control BUT not have it send web history with URL, filenames viewed/sent etc.  i realise they will likely take IP so they know where i connected from/to but that should be all they need in my view, they shouldn’t need to know anything else about my router/setup, where I visited etc.  You think Asus will be adding one?  Also I see some icons say the company name i.e ASUS, but I can’t select the brand names from a list.  I have couple of HP devices but it doesn’t say HP by default so i presume no in the list.  My NAS manufacturer is, that shows up.

Thanks

Kev

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

I was thinking using the 160mhz more for local data transfer but will leave off for now.

is there a easy way to tell if a device is conencted using wifi 6(AX) as opposed to WIFI 5 (AC)?

I have couple of devices that are WIFI 6 compatible so wanted to be sure they are connecting at WIFI 6 and now WIFI 5. Interface just shows 2.4 or 5ghz but not WIFI 6 (AX) etc

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Depends on your Risk appetite, Remote Connection from the mobile App is better if done within a VPN so this should give you better protection, but you are still leaving yourself with a level of Risk.

Other images can be uploaded but yes, no switch Icon is available (I just checked my ASUS router)

I am not sure if web history with URL can be separated, I assume, just disable the Web History service and nothing will be sent, obviously QoS and AiProtection if enabled will still send there relevant data, but the more you disable, the better

When you login to the ASUS UI, scroll down to Clients Icon on the main screen and click, this then should produce the Client status window and how devices are connected is shown on the Right, it works for 5GHz, but cannot remember for 6Ghz ?

You need to decide whether to Trust Trend, ASUS do as do I for home usage.

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

Thanks, All i see is 2.4ghz and 5ghz under wireless, however, it doesn’t tell me if the devices ae using AC or AX.

If i look into wireless log, under 5ghz it shows AC, n, AX under the phy column.  Under 2.4ghz on guestwireles it shows connected as n, but I don’t have a option to set what type to allow… I only enabled 2.4ghz on guestwireless, i thought 2.4ghz did AC wifi?

So, do you use ASUS app to remotely control the router i.e. reboots, login to enable, alter things and just disable web history and enable traffic analyser, ai protection? Just getting a sense for what most people do and don’t enable as you all got more experience than me with ASUS routers, thsi is my first ever one.

I’ve only ever brought asus motherboards and possibly the odd graphics card in the past (current one is a gigabyte one).  PC is a bit old now though tbh, think its like a 2nd gen i5 cpu, tbh it still does everything i need, I’m now just missing the M.2/NVMe drives which this MB doesn’t have but hopefully eventually will upgrade it all.

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Alas the ASUS product range, like Netgear are consumer grade appliances and I would not entertain any form of remote management, If I was to, I would look at Cisco, DrayTek products which are more suited.

ASUS are good for hardware etc. and offer value, but much like say washing machines, if you want something fancy that will last only a few years, you may purchase a Samsung washing machine, but if you are looking for quality over a longer period, the you buy a Miele.

Alas I have my Gaming router in currently (Netgear XR500) , for Sons Fut champs, so will check about Wifi6 early next week unless any body else reads this thread and can advise

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

Thanks, i’ll leave the features off for now.

So I have just found the web console in the vigor 130 and found a command on line “vdsl status more” and this is my result…

Anyone know if this is normal or is there a issue?  i seems the numbers are “Far End” are high on some, does “Far end” mean the exchange or my BT socket, router?

Forgot to say, modem been up for little over 23hrs but about to power it off so i can re-arrange sockets.

Thanks

Kev

Attachments:
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

Is there a command i can type in the Vigor 130 that will show me how many times the modem disconnected and re-connected?  I think the “system up time” is just how long the modem has been on for, now how long the connection has been up.

I’ve tried looking for one but not been successful yet, its probably really obvious but i’m not seeing it atm.

Thanks

Kev

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

Just popping back to say thanks again for the help earlier in the week. I’ve nothing to report. I’m having far less ‘fun’ than Kev! The vigor – so far – just works as does the rt-ac86u. Everything I want to work works. I’ve battled away with asus routers for years and finally this one with merlin firmware works exactly as it’s supposed to with no issues (I hope I’m not tempting fate saying that!). Big thumbs up for the recommendations.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Just popping back to say thanks again for the help earlier in the week. I’ve nothing to report. I’m having far less ‘fun’ than Kev! The vigor – so far – just works as does the rt-ac86u. Everything I want to work works. I’ve battled away with asus routers for years and finally this one with merlin firmware works exactly as it’s supposed to with no issues (I hope I’m not tempting fate saying that!). Big thumbs up for the recommendations.

Great news and glad you seem to be working well, yes @kev2021 has a new toy and seems to be loving the experience

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3761
    • Skipper

Is there a command i can type in the Vigor 130 that will show me how many times the modem disconnected and re-connected? I think the “system up time” is just how long the modem has been on for, now how long the connection has been up. I’ve tried looking for one but not been successful yet, its probably really obvious but i’m not seeing it atm. Thanks Kev

Not as such, but if you type vdsl status counts  – this will will tell you the uptime in seconds.

For your line condition (health) you need to leave the Vigor modem plugged in for at least a week so it can stabilise with you local cab, especially after you nightmare experience with disconnects etc.

Also after a few days run the following cmd  vdsl status and screen dump it for us to have a look, or better still, screen dump it now and then do another screen dump in 10 days so we can compare the differences ?

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 122
    • Regular

Thanks, here are the stats at the moment…

Will post back in few days with the stats then.

Forgot to say, I’m on Fibre 1 package which suggests average speeds of 50 but account advises 50 – 70, i’d be happy at 50 but 20-25 seems a bit low, fingers crossed it improves over next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Kev

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.