DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 73
    • Regular

out of interest, if the power goes out and then it comes back on, Will the router connect to the modem if it has booted up before the modem does?  Will it continue to keep trying to connect to the modem or would I need to reboot the router once the modem is up?

At present with the built in modem/router, I don’t have to worry about this as it comes back online but with 2 different devices, just thought i’d check.

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3018
    • Skipper

The Modem and router will not be effected if they do not reach operation status at the same time,

ASUS router under WAN has the option to set ‘Disconnect after time of inactivity (in seconds)’ and by default this is set to ‘0’ so the router is always looking and trying to keep the connection ON.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 73
    • Regular

Thanks, good to know :)

My fear was the router would come up, try to connect fail and then do nothing after say 3 goes and be waiting a reboot before it came back up if modem took longer than router.

Does the vigour often drop connection (apart from ISP disconnecting and re-connecting every few days) or is it pretty stable?  I saw some posts on another forum about users switching to the draytek and then getting slower speeds and they were told to keep it connected for a while and speed should restore, something to do with ISP noticing a different modem? think it was something to do with InterleaveDelay ?

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3018
    • Skipper

No problem. Vigor 130 uses a lantiq DSL Chipset and is very stable.

Instability is usually caused by the DSL line between Modem and the Cabinet at the end of your street and how the modem deals with this instability, DSL lines suffer from Electrical interference and many other variables such as distance between modem and Cabinet, temperature, age and indeed material of DSL line (some where aluminium used around the Milton Keynes area) for example.

The Vigor 130 is BT SIN498 MCT approved, so as good as it will get for under £100

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 73
    • Regular

Hi @UKSentinel

Just to let you know, I’ve now finally made a decision and just ordered the AX-86U and Draytek vigor 130.

I was going to hold out for the DSL-AX82U but due to my intermittent connection drops, which seems to be ranging from every 1.5hrs to maybe every couple of days, which no changes locally and it also looks like the memory usage is a little high on the device and will likely be a few months until that is sorted and either way the unit only has 512MB ram so there wont be much room left in memory and as I got a few devices (around probably 25-30) connected and I’m planning on linking it over VPN to another router at another location, I don’t want to start causing the router to run slow due to memory usage so feel the AX86U with the 1GB ram, might be the better option in the long run.

Hopefully I’ve made the right choice? should I have waiting for the DSL82U? I’m now just hoping if the connection drops, the draytek will auto reconnect and in turn the router will automatically work and not a reboot etc :)

Any tips for getting this setup and connected to internet initially?  Can look at the extra features later.  I’m hoping to setup 2 WIFI SSIDs, one for main use and one for IoT.

I was surprised, the AX86U wasn’t too much more expensive than the AX82U, think it must of come down in price?  The draytek 130 was around the same price I saw it previously, bought it new as opposed used as figured I’ll be using it for the foreseeable so worth getting it new.

Thanks

Kev

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

Hello there. Not been here for a while! I’ve just got a vigor 130 and an rt ac86u. I’m having some problems connecting. The vigor seems to be connecting to my talktalk fibre, it says  under Interface that dsl is connected. However, whilst that is up, under IPv4 Internet Access the WAN1 vdsl/PPPoE is disconnected.

I’m not very clued up with this kind of thing. I’ve tried setting the asus to PPPoE under the WAN settings. I’ve tried inputting the IP address in the WAN IP setting. No joy. I remain disconnected. Also the router won’t allow me to change to PPPoE without inputting user name and password. Talktalk don’t require these, so is it the modem password or the draytek password? I’m a bit lost at this point.

Hope someone can offer a pointer. Thanks in advance

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3018
    • Skipper

Hi @UKSentinel Just to let you know, I’ve now finally made a decision and just ordered the AX-86U and Draytek vigor 130. I was going to hold out for the DSL-AX82U but due to my intermittent connection drops, which seems to be ranging from every 1.5hrs to maybe every couple of days, which no changes locally and it also looks like the memory usage is a little high on the device and will likely be a few months until that is sorted and either way the unit only has 512MB ram so there wont be much room left in memory and as I got a few devices (around probably 25-30) connected and I’m planning on linking it over VPN to another router at another location, I don’t want to start causing the router to run slow due to memory usage so feel the AX86U with the 1GB ram, might be the better option in the long run. Hopefully I’ve made the right choice? should I have waiting for the DSL82U? I’m now just hoping if the connection drops, the draytek will auto reconnect and in turn the router will automatically work and not a reboot etc :) Any tips for getting this setup and connected to internet initially? Can look at the extra features later. I’m hoping to setup 2 WIFI SSIDs, one for main use and one for IoT. I was surprised, the AX86U wasn’t too much more expensive than the AX82U, think it must of come down in price? The draytek 130 was around the same price I saw it previously, bought it new as opposed used as figured I’ll be using it for the foreseeable so worth getting it new. Thanks Kev

Congrats, glad you got there in the end, When the Vigor 130 arrives, makes sure it is running the latest firmware suitable for BT (3.8.4.1 BT) and then just plug in ASUS RT-AX82U and run throught the QiS (Quick internet Setup) wizard and you should be good to go.

Vigor Modem does not require any configuration, it is ready out of the box apart from maybe from firmware versions

AiProtection  if you decide to utilse it, requires that your traffic runs via TREND server, so I tend not to bother with Aiprotection

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 73
    • Regular

Hi, I found this link which mentions setting 101 on vlan, maybe worth a go?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Asus-router-and-draytek-modem-issues/td-p/2182819

Also just found link on dryatek site: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-isp-talktalk

Kev

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by kev2021.
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 73
    • Regular

Thanks @UKSentinel, is it the same for the RT-AX86U?  I noticed you referred to the AX82U :)

Kev

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

I flashed the latest merlin firmware byw

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3018
    • Skipper

I flashed the latest merlin firmware byw

Welcome back, Talk Talk does not use PPPOE – it uses MPoA/Static or Dynamic (PTM) etc. ( I forget which)

I would factory reset the ASUS and run thrugh the QIS wizard as this should give you the option to choose Talk-Talk as ISP etc.

Take a look at below as this may help – https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3018
    • Skipper

Thanks @UKSentinel, is it the same for the RT-AX86U? I noticed you referred to the AX82U :) Kev

‘Old age’ – the same it is

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

Ah! Great thanks, I’ll give this a go.

pavlf
    Participant
    • Posts 70
    • Regular

I thought that had sorted it – factory reset of the vigor. When it started up the PC registered as being connected but just as quickly disconnected again. Now the router shows as connected, but the PC not. I’ve been at this for hours now!

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 73
    • Regular

Can you put your PC on a Fixed IP and see f it works (with in the same Ip range as the router but not the exact same ip address as router).  If that works, then it would seem DHCP not enabled on router?

Kev

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com