Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

• This topic has 164 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Patryk PaboPatryk Pabo.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2181
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Just making sure, I rather stupidly tried to plug an ethernet cable into the DSL port a few days ago, took a few seconds to click. The DSL I converted to RT is part of an AiMesh filling in a blank spot for some fussy kit, so far it seems to do a pretty good job. When I was testing it out after working out how to convert it, I was using it to connect a few streaming devices by ethernet and it again did a pretty good job. What I can’t believe is that TP-Link blatantly copy Netgear’s switch kit to the point that they don’t even bother to change the model number by much see GS vs SG series.

TP-Link (Chinese) I believe I read somewhere that for every product sold in China, the designs/patents or simular have to be submitted, hence why so  much direct copying, but usually at a lower standard.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

booji
    Participant
    • Posts 32
    • UKTechHub Regular

I just stumbled on to this thread and wondered if you can help me. I rather stupidly upgraded my DSL-AC68U firmware with Merlin RT-AC68U firmware by misteak.

The DSL part of the router now doesn’t work and the DSL light does not come on and shows “cable unplugged” in the main router page. The firmware page also shows not DSL firmware (see picture).

The first thing I did was go on the Asus site and reload the most recent firmware but this has not got the DSL part working again.

I’ve tried everything and spent days trying to get it working.

I’ve upgraded the firmware over the Asus recovery tool, Miniweb server and manually over the routers firmware upload page. All without success. I followed the Asus advice about uploading the firmware twice – still no joy.

Has anyone else stuffed up their DSL-AC68U like this and how did they get it working again.

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2181
    • UKTechHub Skipper

So to get the DSL back again, you have tried flashing back using ASUS DSL-AC68U firmware whilst router is in recovery mode? using the ASUS firmware recovery tool and using a static ip on pc/laptop of say 192.168.1.10?

Your screen dumps seems to indicate the correct firmware (DSL) was used, so maybe a caching of browser issue (try access router from different PC) or maybe try factory reset (pressing reset button on back of router for 10-15 seconds) until router reboots? and build from scratch, not from backup.

Maybe also try loading very old DSL-AC68U firmware, and then factory reset and load latest version, worth a try if all else fails ;0)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by UK Sentinel.

booji
    Participant
    • Posts 32
    • UKTechHub Regular

Hi and thanks you for replying.

I tried ASUS firmware recovery tool and using a static ip on pc/laptop of 192.168.1.10 and flashed the lastest version of recovery firmware from the asus site “ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_21128 specifically for restoration tool”

No Joy. still the same – I also flashed the same firmware using CME – same results.

I have just tried flashing with some really old firmware “ASUS DSL-AC68U Router Firmware Restoration Tool 3.0.0.4.378.9166”  with the Asus restoration tool – no joy.

I have tried factory resetting the modem both before and after firmware uploads – no joy.

Spent many hours on this and still have a router without DSL

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by booji.
    Six
    Participant
    • Posts 54
    • UKTechHub Regular

What does the router show as after a power down, power on reboot? A DSL-AC68U or an RT-AC68U?

I have some time tomorrow to look at this, I have a DSL-AC68U that I deliberately changed into an RT-AC68U. I will try to push it back to being a DSL-AC68U.

Just to check a few things first.

1. You are using the restoration version of the firmware with the restoration tool.
    2. You have followed the advice on the Asus website which says that once you have recovered you should immediately update again using the normal (not recovery) version of the firmware. No resets in between.

Please confirm you have done this and then I’ll take a further look at it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Six.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2181
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Understood – Did you by any chance during or after the the conversion process enter any Telnet (SSH) commands?

Also, give us a screen dump of the front page of your UI, I am interested to see what model is showing?

Six
    Participant
    • Posts 54
    • UKTechHub Regular

Assuming @booji got his problem sorted out as there has been no response from him.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2181
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Assuming @booji got his problem sorted out as there has been no response from him.

I am sure he/she is busy throwing the device in the bin ;-)

Six
    Participant
    • Posts 54
    • UKTechHub Regular

Well hopefully he read the instructions from Asus that are clearly stated in the support section and tried the complete process before he did that :-)

booji
    Participant
    • Posts 32
    • UKTechHub Regular

Haha, Hi guys,

Still haven’t sorted it out. And yes I have tried everything. Got an email from Asus support today which basically told to send it back to the retailer. Somehow I can’t see Currys taking my 3 year old router back. I told Asus I would be thinking about them when I took a hammer to the router later (I wouldn’t just bin it, I would have to give it a wack first).

When I updated the router with the wrong firmware the router did report that it was not the proper firmware but it still went though the upload process and manage to stop my DSL. Funny enough I tried to deliberately upload this Merlin firmware again now it identifies it as the wrong firmware and wont load.

To all intent and purpose this router reports as a DSL-AC68U.  All DSL settings are there apart from showing  DSL Firmware and drivers as blank.

I didn’t do any ssh before the router stopped working properly but did a few since like nvram-show and a nvram clear but that’s all.

I know a few Asus users had a similar problem when they upgraded to v3.0.0.4.384_21126 firmware and they fixed it by flashing with DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx. This is no longer on the ASUS web site so I was unable to try it. I was told that the most recent firmware would also fix the problem but it hasn’t worked for me. I was keen on getting this 21126-fix01 firmware since it seems the only confirmed method I’ve read on other forums that seems to work. I know these users also tried updating the router with old firmware without success and only when updating with 21126-fix01 firmware did it fix the DSL issue.

If anyone has got a copy of the 21126-fix01 firmware could they give me a copy – it’s worth a try.

If anyone has turned a DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U and back again then I’m willing to give this a try as it might give kick the DSL part back.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by booji.
    Six
    Participant
    • Posts 54
    • UKTechHub Regular

Can you confirm that you:

1. Loaded the recovery firmware using the recovery tool.
      AND THEN
    2. Loaded the normal firmware via the web interface.

booji
    Participant
    • Posts 32
    • UKTechHub Regular

Yes, loaded recovery firmware before the process then then normal firmware after (twice) via http.

Have done combinations of clearing nvram (by holding wps during power on) or leaving as is before the initial firmware upload and/or in between upgrades. All result in no driver and firmware displayed, and no DSL light.

Can I check with you that the driver and firmware version is displayed (and not blank like the picture I uploaded) even when the DSL cable is not plugged in?

Six
    Participant
    • Posts 54
    • UKTechHub Regular

OK I will have some time on Thursday to have a play with this. Will try to return a converted DSL back from RT. In the meantime, maybe try loading official Asus RT and then going back to DSL via recovery.

booji
    Participant
    • Posts 32
    • UKTechHub Regular

OK will give it a go. Nothing to lose really

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2181
    • UKTechHub Skipper

@Six, I do not think @booji used our instructions to convert his DSL-AC68U, hence his particular issues.

I have just converted by DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U and factory reset and then factory converted back to DSL-AC68U and all DSL functions also returned after conversion, so issue is related to your original conversation (which is unlucky)

No Telnet (SSH) commands was required.

I will ask ASUS for a copy of DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx

Edit: link added

DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx.zip
    https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/58B75732687142A9A91B350C9373EC024

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by UK Sentinel. Reason: link added

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.