DrayTeK Vigor 166 – G.fast capable

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … DrayTeK & Wireless DrayTeK Vigor 166 – G.fast capable

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

Great news, thanks

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 23
    • Regular

For owners of the EU version (GEN1 & GEN2) – Draytek in Germany have added a beta firmware page to their server

http://draytek.com/download_de/Firmwares-Modem/Vigor160-Serie/Vigor166/BETA-TEST/

Note: The UK model V166-K won’t accept EU firmware & Draytek UK doesn’t seem to have a beta site yet.

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 23
    • Regular

For anyone looking to buy a V166 – On eBay I’ve just spotted a Vigor 166 GEN2 (EU model) up for auction here in the UK, can’t be too many of these around! It’ll be interesting to see how much it sells for.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

For anyone looking to buy a V166 – On eBay I’ve just spotted a Vigor 166 GEN2 (EU model) up for auction here in the UK, can’t be too many of these around! It’ll be interesting to see how much it sells for.

£60 starting price, no bids currently, but as you say, will be interesting to see what the final price end at

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

A few more Vigor 166 are appearing on Ebay

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 23
    • Regular

Trying to sell on Ebay for £150 new (or £120 open box) is a bit rich as they’re under £110 (inc delivery) retail

A friend of mine bought one recently, obviously a new batch has arrived as it came with 4_2_3_BT firmware from the factory.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

Trying to sell on Ebay for £150 new (or £120 open box) is a bit rich as they’re under £110 (inc delivery) retail A friend of mine bought one recently, obviously a new batch has arrived as it came with 4_2_3_BT firmware from the factory.

They are still trying to profit from the believed lack of affordable G.fast kit,

BT shop has them for £105 but not in stock, not sure if Gen 2, but still a fair price

https://shop.bt.com/products/draytek-vigor-166-vdsl-g-fast-modem-v166-k-G4XR.html?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=ZA0000&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=ZA00&awc=3043_1624707523_0d5f94b770825c7c5b8826a456490b70

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 23
    • Regular

The new one my friend bought certainly isn’t GEN2. There may be a problem if they change to the GEN2 chipset in the UK model as they’ll probably have to go through certification again by Openreach to get the new hardware approved (which can take months!). As Openreach haven’t indicated any intention of utilising the GEN2 (212Mhz) technology I doubt DrayTek will bother investing the time & money involved if they don’t have to. (unless the older GEN1 chipset is discontinued forcing the change).

Stock is low at the moment, £103.50 here but on back order: https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/41275-draytek-v166-k/

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

I agree, Openreach Will be more concerned with FTTH /P installs and that is there priority – GEN 2 is a great idea but with all that old copper lying around that will still need to be maintained, fibre is where the investment is needed and the way ahead ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.