DrayTeK Vigor 166 – G.fast capable

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … DrayTeK DrayTeK Vigor 166 – G.fast capable

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 21
    • Regular

I see several EU dealers are now taking pre-orders for the new GEN2 (212Mhz) version of the EU model. (V166-A GEN2) Price seems to be the same as for the GEN 1

It is good to see the GEN 2 units are finally available in the EU, for UK, GEN 2 is not usable as far as I recall as local cabs etc. are only fitted to support GEN 1 – and the emphasis is on FTTP – FTTH installs for UK,? But we can all hope priorities can change

Future proofing? GEN2 model should work in the UK as it’s backwards compatible with GEN1, & whilst we all want FTTP the reality is it’s still several years away for most of us. I know my local exchange is only fitting FTTP to new builds & commercial clients for at least the next 3 years! I’m also guessing that areas with G.Fast already available will be towards the bottom of the priority list when it comes to FTTP, so maybe a cab upgrade to 212Mhz may become an easier (& cheaper) solution for Openreach in the medium term & help them meet their targets for super-speed broadband (although they’ve miss all their targets so far!)

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by smallal.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by smallal.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3217
    • Skipper

As you probable know, Openreach (BT) has confirmed to ISPreview.co.uk that they do not intend to build their G.fast based “ultrafast broadband” (100Mbps+) ISP network to any more UK homes until April 2021

and given the current Lockdown, this date is likely to be extended again

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/06/openreach-confirm-g-fast-broadband-rollout-paused-until-2021.html

but as said by others, “who Knows” and given the gov current deficit, I am curious as to whether OPENREACH will be given additional support for these GEN 2 upgrades and who will provide the kit etc. in the cabs.   

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3217
    • Skipper

@smallal – I forgot to ask, how is your Vigor 166 performing, any bugs ?

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 21
    • Regular

The main problem with the current firmware is a lack of Line Stats, The menu is quite extensive but unfortunately half the stats aren’t registering, just a lot of zeros. There is a beta firmware (I haven’t tried it yet) which is supposed to fix the problem, but so far those that have tried it say it doesn’t!

Incidentally, the newer GEN2 (212Mhz) EU version (V166-A GEN2) hit the shops a couple of days ago priced at around €140. Anyone wanting to buy one who resides in the UK may have problems, lots of EU retailers are refusing to ship to the UK at the moment because of the new UK tax regulations.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3217
    • Skipper

I read  the other day on Kitz an owner on G.fast having issues with upload speeds, so hopefully Draytek vigor 166 will improve

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 21
    • Regular

I read the other day on Kitz an owner on G.fast having issues with upload speeds, so hopefully Draytek vigor 166 will improve

No problems with upload speeds on my line, speedtest.net shows over 47MB & the Vigor’s own stats page shows attainable rate at just over 50Mb & actual rate at just over 48MB

hushcoden
    Participant
    • Posts 24
    • Regular

Also mine is performing pretty well, up and running since 19 days

It’s a shame that stats don’t work…

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3217
    • Skipper

Lots of zeros’s , somebody did mention that there was a beta firmware for the Vigor 166, did you try that ?

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 21
    • Regular

I didn’t bother with the BETA firmware as others said it made no difference, if you want to give it ago its here:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/files/v166_bt_423RC1.zip

hushcoden
    Participant
    • Posts 24
    • Regular

Lots of zeros’s , somebody did mention that there was a beta firmware for the Vigor 166, did you try that ?

Frankly, I never liked being a beta tester…

Bully
    Participant
    • Posts 381
    • Regular

Hi,

would the Vigor 166 be a worthwhile upgrade from my 130?  My cabinet has a lantiq chipset. But I’m only on vdsl and not gfast.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3217
    • Skipper

Hi, would the Vigor 166 be a worthwhile upgrade from my 130? My cabinet has a lantiq chipset. But I’m only on vdsl and not gfast.

Given you previous DSL history and as both the 130 and 166 are Infineon (Intel) I don’t believe you will benefit much with the new Vigor 166 , FTTP for you if it ever arrives 

Bully
    Participant
    • Posts 381
    • Regular

Hi, would the Vigor 166 be a worthwhile upgrade from my 130? My cabinet has a lantiq chipset. But I’m only on vdsl and not gfast.

Given you previous DSL history and as both the 130 and 166 are Infineon (Intel) I don’t believe you will benefit much with the new Vigor 166 , FTTP for you if it ever arrives

Thank you Sentinel

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3217
    • Skipper

When ECI Cabs finally get G.inp widely deployed (if ever), will be a day to celebrate

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 21
    • Regular

New Firmware has been released

UK Model V166-K v4.2.3.BT @:  https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-166

EU Model V166-A v4.2.3 @:  Index of /Vigor166/Firmware/v4.2.3 (draytek.com.tw)

Both GEN1 & GEN2 EU models use the same firmware

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by smallal.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by smallal.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com