DrayTeK Vigor 166 – G.fast capable

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … DrayTeK DrayTeK Vigor 166 – G.fast capable

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

I’ve noticed that BT/Openreach now supply the Zt Link MT992 instead of the Huawei.

Lots on eBay at around £100, is there a difference between this & the original Huawei MT992 ?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

Yes, it is a strange scenario, without to much speculation, Huawei did make the MT992 and now the MT992 is manufactured by Nanjing Ztlink Network Technology Co.Ltd

Both companies are Chinese and probable linked somehow “just my speculation” and I guess BT changed the manufacture due to US influences etc.

Both Huawei and  Zt Link MT992 use a Broadcom BCM63138 DSL chipset (I believe) , so in reality should be the same.

Note: The ZT-Link MT992 is Broadcom BCM63138SKFSBG (which is good) but I am struggling with the Huawei MT992 DSL Chipset type ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

04/01/21 – I see Scan Computers now have the UK version of the Vigor 166 in stock at £106.49 + P&P

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

04/01/21 – I see Scan Computers now have the UK version of the Vigor 166 in stock at £106.49 + P&P

Good find and reasonable  price

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

05/01: Looks like stocks are now arriving at most dealers.

Now showing as in stock at Morecomputers, similar price to Scan but has a free P&P option available.

ILGS also have stock & Broadbandbuyer have just received their delivery today, they’re the cheapest I’ve found so far.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by smallal.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

05/01: Looks like stocks are now arriving at most dealers. Now showing as in stock at Morecomputers, similar price to Scan but has a free P&P option available. ILGS also have stock & Broadbandbuyer have just received their delivery today, they’re the cheapest I’ve found so far.

Are you going to treat yourself

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

Mine should arrive tomorrow (via DPD) from Broadbandbuyer

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

Mine should arrive tomorrow (via DPD) from Broadbandbuyer

Nice, when it arrives and if u get a chance, try to investigate what CPU it has as I am curious

smallal
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

Haven’t plugged it in yet but it looks like its a Vigor 166 GEN1 as sold in the EU but with UK firmware & PSU (says Vigor166 GEN1 on the label). Had a quick peek through the vents but the main chipset seems to be covered by a large aluminium heatsink. Draytek now have the UK firmware on their site, someone with an imported (166-A) might like to risk trying a quick flash?

Bully
    Participant
    • Posts 381
    • Regular
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

I contacted DrayTeK today and they kindly informed me that the Chipset for the Vigor 166 is an INTEL, so no Broadcom which is interesting and keeps it inline with the Vigor 130 from a Chipset perspective ?

So I can assume it is at least the Intel VRX518 or  VRX618 / VRX619

I read the VRX619  chipset supports both Gen1 and Gen2. ,

I also read VRX618 chipset only support Gen 1 (less reliable sources)

The currently released Vigor 166 only supports Gen 1 and a Vigor 166 MK2 is rumoured to be released at some point supporting both Gen 1 and Gen 2

So  DrayTeK Vigor 166 MK2 models will probable support the VRX619  chipset , we just need clarity on what the Vigor 166 MK1 is currently using (VRX618)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

I probed DrayTeK again and this time they kindly revealed the new Vigor 166 (Gen 1)  is indeed using the VRX618 Intel chipset

Alas this does mean only Gen 1 will be supported with this current model ?

———-

Hello xxx,

I don’t have exact details I’m afraid, but as far as I’m aware it’s using an Intel SoC and the Intel VRX618 g.fast modem/transceiver.

———-

destinyStar
    Participant
    • Posts 1
    • Recruit

I have just ordered one from Broadbandbuyer, just royal mail signed delivery, not in a hurry unless my old Huawei modem dies, I cant complain its been through numerous floods and been crushed a few times but still working……lol…….I have a Vigor 2927 router to connect the Vigor 166 too, so should be a great match :o)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2898
    • Skipper

I have just ordered one from Broadbandbuyer, just royal mail signed delivery, not in a hurry unless my old Huawei modem dies, I cant complain its been through numerous floods and been crushed a few times but still working……lol…….I have a Vigor 2927 router to connect the Vigor 166 too, so should be a great match :o)

Very nice Draytek setup indeed

Mr Sleeps
    Participant
    • Posts 1
    • Recruit

Has anyone had any joy getting the 166 working on a BT G.Fast connection? no matter what I do the DSL light keeps flashing and never connects.

Got one today, thinking about returning it already :(

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.