DSL-AC68U – Best settings?

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS & Wireless DSL-AC68U – Best settings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

Hi.

I have the DSL-AC68U and it has worked reliably for me for 2+ years.

I was wondering if there were any recommended settings to improve connection speeds, ping, etc. I am currently with Vodafone broadband, achieving 50mb download data rate (although the max rate is 66mb).

I don’t use 3rd Party firmware and would like to keep it that way, unless they have a noticeable benefit.

Thanks

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3643
    • Skipper

Hi. I have the DSL-AC68U and it has worked reliably for me for 2+ years. I was wondering if there were any recommended settings to improve connection speeds, ping, etc. I am currently with Vodafone broadband, achieving 50mb download data rate (although the max rate is 66mb). I don’t use 3rd Party firmware and would like to keep it that way, unless they have a noticeable benefit. Thanks

Welcome,if you can give us a screen dump of your DSL Settings and DSL Log page, we can have a look at what your connection is currently like ?

In particular if you are connecting to an ECI or Huawei cab,if G.inp is working and line attenuation etc ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

Hi. I attach some pictures below. I am only using the DSL-AC68U for internet connectivity. I changed some of the connection settings to ensure it connected to the Vodafone network (PPPoE, etc.) and basic items such as Wifi 2.4 and 5ghz channels, but not much else.

S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular
    S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

Last couple of photos (Sorry, not sure which ones are needed!)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3643
    • Skipper

Great screen dumps, can you check your routers FEC number , I believe it should be on LINE STATS page ?

Your Vodaphone package, was this capped or is it there 63 Mbps offering ?

S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

Hi. Is this one the line stats?

S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

I am on the 63MBPS package. I live on a new build estate of only 14 houses, and several of the houses achieve/exceed 60mbps with their internet providers.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3643
    • Skipper

I am on the 63MBPS package. I live on a new build estate of only 14 houses, and several of the houses achieve/exceed 60mbps with their internet providers.

Did you manage to check what your FEC are ?

S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

I have had a look through the router GUI and a quick google, but I am not sure what FEC is. Is it a menu within the router GUI?

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 470
    • Addict

FEC is the couter for forward error correction, so errors on line which are correctable on modem.

Somewhat like good failures as long as there are not too many.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3643
    • Skipper

I have had a look through the router GUI and a quick google, but I am not sure what FEC is. Is it a menu within the router GUI?

Should be under the DSL Log settings, I realise only some ASUS DSL Models have this option, I assumed the DSl-AC68U does also, but maybe not ?

If not, do you know how to telnet to the router ? if so type the following cmd ?

adslphxcmd info –show

S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

I have had a good look through the Asus menus but still cannot see an FEC field. The screenshots in my earlier post are from the DSL Log. There is something called CEC, but I google it and it appears that that is for ethernet.

I have also had a google for FECs with Asus routers and, whilst people acknowledge problems and their logs, they do not state where the information is found!

Regarding telnet, I am on a MacBook, and when I googled how to do it, reports suggested that telnet capability was removed from MacBooks due to security vulnerabilities?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3643
    • Skipper

No problem,

Hope the below helps.

ON ASUS DSL-AC68U:

Login to Router UI and go to Advanced  Settings > Administration > System and select Enable SSH LAN Only and click apply

On your MAC:

Open Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

Then type 192.168.1.1 (I think telnet or login followed by IP address – I forget)) and then you should be prompted for Admin name and password

Edit: “telnet <IP address/host>”

Once that is completed and you are authorised type  adslphxcmd info –show and FEC should be in list

Just don’t forget to disable SSH on router when you are finished ?

S M
    Participant
    • Posts 11
    • Regular

Router: OK

Macbook: No luck Im afraid. Is it simpler to do it from a Win10 PC? I can do that a little less easily than my MacBook.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.