DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Hi all,

So I have been thinking, if the ASUS router wont show the line details i.e. connection speed etc, I was thinking if i got the Draytek 166, it has 2 ports, I could plug one port into the router to get internet access etc  (main network on 192.168.0.x) and then perhaps plug the 2nd network port into my HP 18-10 switch, configured for vlan 2 i believe the draytek is on 192.168.2.x network?  Then i could set another port on the switch to vlan 2 also and plug that directly into my router too.  Would I then be able to access the web page of the router from my machine? i.e. he router would route between the 2 networks?

So effectively would look like:-

Draytek 166 port 1 -> Asus RT router (192.168.0.x)

HP switch (connects all wired wired devices from 192.168.0.x subnet) -> Asus Router

Draytek 166 port 2 -> HP switch port configured for 192.168.2.x network

another port on HP switch configured for 192.168.2.0 subnet -> ASUS router

In hopes it routes between 192.168.0.x and 192.168.2.x network so can access webpage of modem from PC in 192.168.0.x network to avoid needing to go to physical modem and connect a laptop or similar device to check it if required to see details?

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Sounds way to complicated, but should work.

This is what I did a while back and hopefully still applicable.

Access to Draytek Vigor 130 Modem Stats from behind an ASUS Router

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Thanks, would he 166 work on my line or does it require over 100mb line to work? All references point to max 300mb but no actual minimum so not sure.

Thanks

Kev

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Just found out today my boiler has decided to loose pressure, it was around 1bar for last 5 years but just before xmas, it dropped to 0.5 and now today it was at 0.2 so I’ve topped it back up and now waiting to see but new router etc may be put on hold if i need to repair boiler / replace, going to see how it goes and keep an eye on it.

I only noticed by sheer chance as pressure gauge is underneath boiler so not something you can see unless you get down and look underneath it, which i seldom do. Bit of a poor design tbh in that regard but apart from that boiler been solid, n issues at all – even though 0.2,still no error message on display etc, bit odd. So will keep an eye but will likely push back my router upgrade plans, how much will depending on how much to fix but thanks for everyone’s help so far!

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Thanks, would he 166 work on my line or does it require over 100mb line to work? All references point to max 300mb but no actual minimum so not sure. Thanks Kev

Vigor 166 will work fine at lower speeds, Bad luck about boiler but topping up a sealed system usually does the job

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

I’m hoping so, i saw it at 0.5 bar in December and now its dropped to roughly 0.3bar.  Its always been above 1 bar so unsure what’s changed, don’t see any leaks anywhere.  From what i can tell, my boiler will stop working if it gets below 0.3bar so having topped it up to just over 1 bar, I’m going to now monitor it and see if it drops any more.  I’ve had it a good few years now ad it’s never given me any issue, serviced yearly, just runs as it should, even at 0.3bar, still no error codes being reported so will see how it goes.  If it continues to drop then I’ll have to get someone in to take a look at it, however as summer is coming, if it isn’t too cold, i may not tell now until Winter comes round again so will have to see.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Feel free to start a new topic on Boilers on link below if you need any help

Boilers Gas/Heat Pump

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 370
    • Addict

Probably you only need to refill expansion tank with 3 bar air or whatever pressure is recommeded for it, then chances are good to have it running next 5 years as before. After that refill water to 1,5 bar again.

Without air in the baloon pressure must go down rapidly.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Grisu.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Grisu.
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Thanks all for info, will check them out.

Here is a quick diagram to show how I am hoping to connect the router/modem up and also be able to access modem stats from main machine in 192.168.1.x network. Will the router auto route between the 2 networks?

Thanks

Kev

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Alas ASUS router do not support VLAN Tagging on LAN, Is the switch or VLAN 2  being used for anything else ?

I also believe the ASUS will not supports the IP subnetting as your diagram depicts (LAN) , ASUS routers with stock firmware at least….

Maybe change the modems IP subnet (port 2) to that of the ASUS LAN, then should route OK (or visa versa)

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Hi,

Yes, basically all my wired connections (PC, TV, Apple TV box etc) are all connected to the HP 18-10G switch.  Hence my idea to put 2 ports in VLAN2 and then hope router would route between the 2 but seems now.

Can you change the IP address on the modem port? I didn’t see any info on how to do this.

So i presume I leave port 1 modem as default IP, plug into router and change the modem port 2 to be same IP range as rest of my network (192.168.1.x) and then can access it ok? Meaning leave HP 18-10 in existing setup (no VLAN2 192.168.2.x) needed.

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Correct, no VLAN ID needed on Switch.

Port 1 on Modem has no effect on IP address as this is bridged connection to Router.

Port 2 should be changeable to the routers IP LAN address, but Alas Something you will have to play with if you decide to go with the Vigor 166 rather than the Vigor 130

I am sure others reading this forum will be interested in your success with this set up

Edit: added the online DrayTeK 165 Emulator, which should be very simular to the Vigor 166 for you to play with

http://eu.draytek.com:10165/

Alpha1BA
    Participant
    • Posts 5
    • Recruit

Hi everyone : )

Dint want to start a new thread so i’ll piggy back this. I’m after the best recommendation preferably with minimal isp contact for a dsl router for mainly privacy and extended wifi range/speed I have a subscription with NordVPN which im happy with atm but would like to cut the BT homehub out of the equation if it’s deemed impractical regarding my needs please advise either way. Price isnt too much of an issue unless we talking silly money. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Hi everyone : ) Dint want to start a new thread so i’ll piggy back this. I’m after the best recommendation preferably with minimal isp contact for a dsl router for mainly privacy and extended wifi range/speed I have a subscription with NordVPN which im happy with atm but would like to cut the BT homehub out of the equation if it’s deemed impractical regarding my needs please advise either way. Price isnt too much of an issue unless we talking silly money. Thanks in advance for any advice. Best

Welcome, would you consider a separate modem and router as this does then give you more choices ?

If you look a below list, very few router support Nord VPN (not supported router list)

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1225872552/Not-supported-routers.htm

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Below is list of Routers or Firmware that does support Nord VPN.

• ASUS WRT (native firmware)
    • ASUS Merlin
    • DD-WRT
    • Gl.iNET
    • Mikrotik
    • NetDUMA
    • OPNsense
    • OpenWRT
    • Padavan
    • Portal
    • Sabai
    • Tomato
    • pfSense
    • DrayTek
    • EdgeRouter

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.