@Mrk26 New Router Dilema

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS @Mrk26 New Router Dilema

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    GrisuGrisu
    Participant

7590 is used as provider modem in Germany and other countries (in Austria 7582 used as provider premium modem you have to pay for each month), so they have to be stable for providers.

You can set for more stability or performance.

But for me Intel DSL-chips in 7590 are much better with best sync ever seen compared to some provider modems at least on my v.plus (supervectoring 35b) line.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by GrisuGrisu.
    Mrk26
    Participant

i usually hear good things about Fritz!Box.. though personally never used it because it’s not sold here most stable i have found is modems provided by ISP combined with good routers in bridge :) ( I learned it hard way after purchasing 5+ all in one router+modem combo which never worked smooth for me ) when i had VDSL i used to have Huawei HG630A … which was most stable ..with any of my routers but it don’t support G.Fast …… also there was issue with little bufferbloat ( maybe because LAN switch was 100Mbps )

Well, the one which I have from ee (smart hub) is absolutely crap, sync lower than dsl-ac88u not to mention that lower than old eci modem (actually snr dropped by 0.7 db and sync at full speed 😋). Ideally I will prefer one box solution. G.fast don’t bother me at the moment as I’m on eci cabinet so there is no hope for that.

So going to summary I need modem router, with lantiq/intel chipset, (will be nice to have option for snr adjustments +-,eventually telnet unlocked?).

@Uk Sentinel, you are the person in the business 😁, what else is worth to consider apart of fritzbox 7590? 🤔

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Mrk26.
    Mrk26
    Participant

You can set for more stability or performance.

How is that working? Can you increase/reduce snr with this setting?

GrisuGrisu
    Participant

Yes, but no need for me running with full perf. So I cant tell you how much it could help.

Cant post the screenshot here.

Found a picture of these settings here: https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Telefonie-Internet/VDSL-100-Stoerabstand-Empfangsrichtung-6db-Resyncs-und-Fritzbox/td-p/2958624?attachment-id=37266

Here a better one: https://www.onlinekosten.de/forum/showthread.php?t=141519&page=117

Large: https://abload.de/image.php?img=8ca037b7-b125-495d-a0t2jj9.png

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by GrisuGrisu.
    UK SentinelUK Sentinel

Sorry, I missed your last post, “I’m in the business” if only

It is very difficult to find a unit that fits all requirements, but I would (and I Did) purchase the DrayTeK 130 modem and also purchase the ASUS RT-AC86U or the RT-AX88U and  flash them with RMerlin firmware. (that is a must)

Note: RT-AC86U firmware is fairly mature where as the RT-AX88U is still young in terms of firmware but much more future proof (that choice you have to make for yourself) and of course budget is a consideration also  

AVM kit is very good/stable, but does have limitations and an ASUS router flashed with ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware is hard to equal

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

GrisuGrisu
    Participant

Answer with links in posting #5367 is being removed?!?!?

Mrk26
    Participant

I was considering that combo (vigor and asus) , but wondered if vigor 130 is not a bit old? 🤔

Don’t mind spending little bit extra if at the end of the day all will works as should. On asus dsl-ac88u I had faster wifi on booth 2.4 and 5Ghz compared to old rt-ac68u where 2.4 Ghz is a bit slower but still very strong. I like asus routers and strong wifi, and if ax will not work as supposed to be I can always retur and currys will be happy to have it back 😁 (just thinking loud 😝)

I may need to sleep with that idea.

Mrk26
    Participant

Answer with links in posting #5367 is being removed?!?!?

I see your post, but you right, when I refreshed page is not here anymore?!?

GrisuGrisu
    Participant

try it once again …

Yes, but no need for me running with full perf. So I cant tell you how much it could help.

Cant post the screenshot here.

Found a picture of these settings here: https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Telefonie-Internet/VDSL-100-Stoerabstand-Empfangsrichtung-6db-Resyncs-und-Fritzbox/td-p/2958624?attachment-id=37266

Here a better one: https://www.onlinekosten.de/forum/showthread.php?t=141519&page=117

Large: https://abload.de/image.php?img=8ca037b7-b125-495d-a0t2jj9.png

Mrk26
    Participant

Thanks a lot @Grisu

Mrk26
    Participant

I think my dilemma getting to the end, at least partly 😅

I did listen @Uk Sentinel and bought Asus RT-AX88U, first thing I done, Merlin fw on it, no problem connecting to internet via old eci modem straight forward like on old rt-ac68u. It’s actually unbelievable how smoth this one is compared to DSL-AC88U. It’s completely different router, WiFi is mutch stronger than dsl-ac88u, only one laptop with intel wifi card couldn’t see network, after drivers update all good. Only been using this one for couple of hours but is damn stable, and fast, and stable , and fast 😂😂 not to mention that temperatures are nearly half lower compared to dsl-ac88u. So far so good. Now I just need replace old eci (but there is no hurry on that) for something more up to date.

To @Uk Sentinel

Is there somewhere on the forum thread how to setup dns for gaming? I though mine was higher due to change router, but I think is because eci modem, it does sync with full speed but ping is slighty higher compared to broadcom chipset.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Mrk26.
    UK SentinelUK Sentinel

As you live in my part of the world I checked you IP address, I find using Googles DNS to be the best.

I moved from PlusNet to BT as they support IPv6, I believe you ISP does and hence you maybe hitting issues with Carrier Grade Natting (CGN)

Which games are you playing ?

Mrk26
    Participant

Usually playing fortnite with son 😂😂

Which dns exactly you using?

UK SentinelUK Sentinel

If via Xbox /PS4 , change IP address on console to 8.8.8.8  8.8.4.4 and same on ASUS Router under WAN DNS Settings

http://demoui.asus.com/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp

Mrk26
    Participant

I’m playing on pc, so just in router then?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.