New FTTP order placed

Home Forums UK Broadband ISP’s … BT New FTTP order placed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

So following on from my new build dilemma, after contacting openreach and BT several times I checked online today and I can now place an order!  I was considering Zen but for the top package 300mbps download was £72 per month, I decided to go with BT instead same speed for £55 per month.  I will get cashback and a reward card for my order so can’t be all bad, they are sending me a HH6 but I will be using my 3490 :)

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by ryan806.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3017
    • Skipper

£55 sounds a good price for FTTP, I had read via ISP Preview that BT had cut back on its deployment plans for G.fast in favour of FTTP, so looks like you got onto the bandwagon, just Intime ;)

I assume you will also be getting a Huawei / ECI Modem (suitable for fibre) from BT, to plug into your Home Hub 6 or Fritz!Box?

ISPReview

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

There is an ONT installed at the new property (see attached) They are sending me a Home Hub 6 but i’m going to be using the FRITZ!Box :)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3017
    • Skipper

I have learnt something new today, ;)

ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

First time plugging the Home Hub in, ran a quick speed test.  At least there is some internet there, I have not moved in yet.  When I do the FRITZ! Box gets plugged back in :)

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/4338978460

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by ryan806.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3017
    • Skipper

First time plugging the Home Hub in, ran a quick speed test. At least there is some internet there, I have not moved in yet. When I do the FRITZ! Box gets plugged back in 🙂 https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/4338978460

Nice, I like the ping also, it will be interesting to see how well the Fritz!Box compares ;)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3017
    • Skipper

@ryan806 – did you manage to get the Fritz!Box working and if so, did you have any issues with VLAN (802.1q) ? was it needed?

ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

@ryan806 – did you manage to get the Fritz!Box working and if so, did you have any issues with VLAN (802.1q) ? was it needed?

Hi.  I have just switched over to the 3490 today, It’s working with out inputting the VLAN ID but speeds are all over the place?  Maybe I have done something wrong?

I put in username as bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password was left blank

I had to manually put in the download speeds (see attached screens)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3017
    • Skipper

Thanks, from those settings, you are on 100Mbps ?

ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

Thanks, from those settings, you are on 100Mbps ?

Hello.  Yes I had changed that to 300mbps, I had done that after i took the screenshot.  I ran a few tests and on my PC which has one of these. https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/PCE-AC55BT/

Speeds were just over 300mbps down and 60mbps up which is what i expected, but using a direct connection with ethernet its under 40mbps download and around 60mbps upload?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3017
    • Skipper

Might be a restriction via Fritz!Box, what’s your Ethernet cable connecting to?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com