Asus DSL AC 68U downstream interleaved

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS Asus DSL AC 68U downstream interleaved

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

As far as I can remember, DHCP needs to be On in order for you to gain access to DrayTeK UI from behind  the ASUS router, if DHCP is Off, then you will not have access to DrayTek 130 (I think) ?

DrayTek 130  >  ASUS   >  User trying to access Modem

As your DrayTeK is set in Bridge mode, then the DHCP should not present any real security risks, but like all things, if it On, then it could be hackable. ;-)

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 284
    • Regular

I personally would use Gnuton DSL-firmware for this router to get Merlin features, dont use RT firmware as it is a DSL type modemrouter.

If you set the modem in bridge mode you will have fully functional router capabilities on Asus router. Otherwise you have Double NAT config and your modem is in router mode too and need DHCP on.

From IT perspective it would be better to have it in bridge mode, usually no need to logon to a modem (in pure modem mode=bridge). Worst case power off/on and it should run again if something hangs.

Well, best would be to use your Asus DSL as modemrouter alone without draytek and save power for 2nd device.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Grisu.
    Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • Regular

The dlm has now put me onto fast path and the Draytek says I’m getting 69mbps  but on speedtests I’m getting 52mbps max why is this?

The speedtests were done when the internet was not being used.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Ian72.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

Can you screen dump the new DrayTek 130 stats again so we can have a look

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • Regular

I’ve managed to get the speed up a bit by disbling dhcp on the modem and I forgot I’d enabled qos.

Turning it off changed the speed test a bit.

Now my speeds are an average of 60

Still lower than the modem though

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

G.inp has been re-enabled on your connection (which is good) and you have 10 meg more than you did last week. it will be interesting to watch if the DS Actual Rate increases over the next few days.

Usually, Broadcom synchs a little higher than Lantiq (DrayTeK)  over a given distance (longer) but as you on a relatively short line, it will interesting to see if DS Actual Rate increases further.

Agree, if your Modem is synch around 68/69 Mb, then this should be the same thru the router.

Is the speed testing via a wired connection, or wifi ? if wifi, try a ethernet connection or an xbox etc if one is plugged in ?

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • Regular

wired connection

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 284
    • Regular

NAT acceleration (CTF and FA) enabled on 68U?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

wired connection

Try wireless (5g) via mobile device just to compare and ensure QoS is disabled (for testing) ?

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • Regular

How do I make ctf and fa are on ? And should I have the vlan id wan connections settings ?

I’ve put it in the modem set up,not sure if I need it or it makes any difference in the asus wan set up

Attachments:
    Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • Regular

Ah found it,better with it on then yes?

Found this on a router guide,I use qos becuase gaming is a big part of the internet use in our house.

It seems nat isn’t good with qos would you agree?

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

I had the QoS/NAT issues also when I used an ASUS router, NAT Acceleration (CTF) and QoS are basically not compatible with Gaming, (port forwarding) especially Consoles as the way NAT Acceleration works caused Moderate NAT Types of Consoles etc.

NAT Acceleration is really designed for higher speeds than you have (I think it was 100 Mbps)

Are you using AiPotecion on the DSL-AC68U as this maybe why throughput maybe lower than expected ?

Did you try testing 5g without QoS enabled. ?

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 284
    • Regular

I would turn off QoS and activate acceleration, QoS never worked reliable.

Test it both ways one or more days and you will see which config will be better for you and your family.

And you will see if it gets faster and whats worth more in your situation.

There is not the one and only best config for all.

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • Regular

I just thought I’d update the thread in case anyone else is doing the same thing.

Everything was going well, speeds going up and my connection is on fast now on up and down.

All until last night when I lost connection,looking into things this morning the modem was still connected but the router wasn’t.

After turning the power off it came back up but at really low speeds for a few minutes,back to normal atm,but why would it do this?

Also what’s odd is if I run speed tests it makes my son lag badly on games or kicks him form the network completely,he was the first to lose connection last night

I should have said I now have my Draytek set up correctly in bridge mode,could I have anything set up wrong in my router to cause this behaviour?

Hopefully just a one off,but wanted to check.

I’ve added a screenshot of the Draytek set up,I’ve changed the Mtu to 1492 which it was on the Bt home hub and changed the dns to 1.1.1.1 same as the router (not sure if I need to do both)

Thanks in advance for any help,Asus support were useless said factory reset and if that didn’t work I can only email for more help for level 2 support.

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • Regular

Also could the modem dns be why?

I’m confused on the page that I uploaded in my last post I’ve set the dns to 1.1.1.1  but on this page it’s google dns.

Also on the router lan page it has settings for dns,not sure what I should have set or not!

Internet speed has gone really slow again

The strange thing is my son was watching youtube with no buffering at all,yet on all other devices it was at a crawl including speed test.

With an 80/20 connection it shoudln’t do this,my router/settings or Bt ? Although if the modem says the speeds I posted I’m getting the right speed I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.