Asus DSL AC 68U downstream interleaved

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Asus DSL AC 68U downstream interleaved

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

Actually just found this- https://www.asus.com/my/support/FAQ/1016292/

So do I do as stated under case A?

Then connect the modem to the master socket and my pc update the firmware then connect the modem to the port that was set as ethernet wan?

And for Bt put Vlan id 101 isn’t it?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

The instruction you have found are correct

Just no need to set VLAN ID as this is handled by modem, DSL-AC68U just needs to be set for PPPOE ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

Hi Guys,

I set up my Draytek today,didn’t find it all that easy lol,certainly wasn’t plug and play as the guy at Draytek said!

I wondered if someone could have a look at the settings I’ve got in my router and modem to see if I’ve got it set up correctly for the best connection.

I used to get 70mbps download but I’m getting 50 at best atm with upload between 10-14.

It could be becuase the amount of times the internet has been on and off in the last few weeks due to trying to sort my speed out and high ping spikes.

So I’ve has several calls with Bt router restarts and a Hub change etc and engineer visit,I’m having the dlm reset in the next 48hours max so want to get the settings just right before that.

Once again to everyone who’s replied to me thank you for the advice.

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

And router pics

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Ian72.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

On the DrayTeK UI, can you type VDSL Status More and cut and paste the results, I want to see if you have G.inp enabled ?

Also on the ASUS, there is a page called WAN > Dual WAN and I would like to see what that looks like.

In theory, the draytek modem should have worked out of the box and requiring no setup (if purchased new) maybe worth checking the Fimrware version as latest is for BT
    3.8.4 BT for the DrayTek 130 – https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

Use the .all ext version firmware as this will keep settings as they are ;-)

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

On the DrayTeK UI, can you type VDSL Status More and cut and paste the results, I want to see if you have G.inp enabled ? Also on the ASUS, there is a page called WAN > Dual WAN and I would like to see what that looks like. In theory, the draytek modem should have worked out of the box and requiring no setup (if purchased new) maybe worth checking the Fimrware version as latest is for BT 3.8.4 BT for the DrayTek 130 – https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130 Use the .all ext version firmware as this will keep settings as they are 😉

I updated the firmware yesterday and I’m using the one you linked.

I tried it out of the box after changing the setting on the router to ethernet wan and the port I was going to connect the modem to it,but it wouldn’t connect.

I got it working by picking vdsl 2 in the modem settings.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Looks like you have G.Inp On, so that is good but your download synch is low, hopefully as you say, redoing you DLM (line profile) by BT Openreach should improve line speed

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

Yes hopefully,I thought I might get higher download speeds,not lower than using the Homehub.

Do all my settings look ok then ?

Also I meant to ask this before my master socket is the same as the photo I’ve added,when using the homehub it was plugged straight into it with no micorfilter as I was told to do.

Is this the same for the Draytek?

I’m guessing it is as it didn’t come with a microfilter

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Ian72.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

As long as you use the plug socket on left for DSL, then all looks OK and no filter required.

I would set up DrayTeK modem different, but what you have done does not effect synch speeds etc.

Once DLM has been reset, leave connection alone for several days and then see if there is any improvements upon what you have currently.

BTW – what service are you paying for, is it 50/10 or 80/20 (I assume the latter) ?

The Engineer may ask you to plug back in the HHub as they are trained to follow procedures (guidelines)etc, when engineer leaves, unplug HHub and plug back in draytek and give it 10 days – if engineer says, you should not be using Draytek, the let them know it is running BT approved firmware and is BT SIN498 MCT approved, hopefully they will understand that (I have met a couple hat did not) but they do now ;-)

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

I’m paying for 80/20 and I’ll let them know if they ask about the Draytek.

Hopefully after the 10 days my speed will at  least be what it used to be,I got 70mbps at one time.

Then for reason my speed started to go down even though Bt said nothing was wrong and I started to get high ping spikes.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Hopefully, they may find a fault on the line, they may upgrade you master socket or maybe just the DSL-AC68U did not sit well with DSLAM (Exchange)

Keep us updated as it could be a good reference for others also ;-)

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

Will do

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

The engineer has been today and has reset the Dlm.

What I didn’t know is after his last visit a week ago he had put the downstream snr up from 3 to 6 and I guess that’s why my speeds dropped from an average of about 63 down to the low 50s sometime lower.

He’s put the snr back down to 3 and also changed the ports for the connection in the cabinet.

With the Dlm reset should my speeds have jumped right back up to 80 even if I’m not lucky enough for it to stay that high?

My speeds are still sitting in the 50s for now,I also showed him the modem line stats and he noticed the fec and crc errors which when he tested the line himself fro 15 ins it showed no crc and only a very small amount of fec errors.

The download is back to interleaved which I’m guessing will change and is because of the Dlm reset?

I’ll post up vdsl status since the dlm.

I’ve meant to ask in previous posts about a setting I changed which lets you view the modem login and set up pages when you type the ip address,special requirement from isp.

The settting is Enable VPN + DHCP Connection I’ve set it to on and now I can use my browser to view the Vigor log in,although the detailed line stats are via telnet cmd is this ok to leave on and won’t affect my line speed etc?

I’ve also seen on another forum you can now get merlin custom firmware for dsl routers including mine,do any of you guys use custom firmware for a dsl router?

And is it ok to upgrade now or wait for the dsm settling period,sorry for all the questions but as I’ve stated before I’m a complete noob at this.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Looks like you SNR (as you have detailed) has been lowered from 6 to 3, and you have an extra 10 Mb download (potential) alas it also looks like your G.inp has been turned off, (retxenable) and I can only assume this is temp until line settles and the DSLAM / Exchange hopefully re-enables G.INP and then hopefully your synch speed should increase again ?

Best leave everything alone for a few days, including ASUS router, just incase ;-)

Yes DSL-AC68U can be converted to run RMerlin or ASUSWRT (RT) firmware, but it is a little technical and not reversible – I use it and works well, especially for AiMesh (node).

There is also a firmware out there that combines RMerlin (ASUSWRT-Merlin) (GNUton) build onto a DSL modem (fully functioning) – but as you are not using DSL Modem from DSL-AC68U, little point compared to RMerlin firmware alone.

https://github.com/gnuton

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

Ian72
    Participant
    • Posts 46
    • UKTechHub Regular

I meant to ask before should I have dhcp enabled on the modem?

Or doesn’t it matter?

It’s on at the moment.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.