ASUS DSL-AC55U – G.INP

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS DSL-AC55U – G.INP

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Did the router reboot? or did the synch just drop and restart again ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

I didn’t touch anything. The router did not reboot. The sync persisted.
    I just noticed increased ping and packet loss. So I opened the DSL log page and noticed a huge accumulation of errors.
    Here is a screenshot taken this morning.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Damis Damis.
    Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

A big increase, out of interest, under Advanced Settings > System Log – Look at the uptime for both General Log and DSL Log and check they are the same ?

In theory, the DSL uptime should be less than the General log due to the DSL resynch

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

Pretty much. There is just one-hour disparity because yesterday I disconnected the line in the afternoon to relocate a cable. I contacted my ISP in the morning and they told me that they will monitor the line during the next couple of hours.

System Uptime :  0 days 23 hours 52 minute(s) 14 seconds

DSL Uptime :  0 days 22 hours 41 minute(s) 30 seconds

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

The DSL uptime seems Ok, let us know how it goes with line testing ;-)

Update:  – I spoke with ASUS, Does your DSL-AC68VG have the option to adjust SNR via the SNRM adjustment option/settings for VDSL? (I assume only ADSL supports this option)

Update 1: After chatting with ASUS again, no Telnet firmware’s are available for DSL-AC68VG (Beta or Stock) and DSL-AC68VG only supports SNRM tweaks for ADSL (not VDSL)

Probable best to return router if you are having many issues ;-)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel.

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

Hi guys,
    so how this all ended up?

As I contacted my ISP on 29 of July in the morning they contacted me back in the afternoon informing me that they noticed problems with the line and they send out a technician to check the line in person at the location the next day.

On the 30th of July, I got a call from the technician which was inspecting the line that the line (wires leading to my household) is bad and that they will need to dig them up. As they were busy at other places at the moment they were supposed to show no early than on Friday (2nd of August). Later on that day, I received another call with him stating that the line is not THAT bad and if he could stop by and check the cables in my household.

When he showed up he found out that one of my cables was faulty and when we replaced it, the connection got better in terms of stability. He also noticed some sort of electrical noise present in my house and stating that it could be caused by some electrical device. And then he left.

In the next two days, I was able to find out that a LED Driver powering my LED strips in my kitchen was the cause of the noise. As I swapped it with replacement one the noise got mostly away. At that stage, I was able to sync up to 56/10 Mbit with my old modem (DSL-AC55U) stable enough for the line to not drop out anymore.

At this point, I thought that it’s all solved, but I received a call on Monday (5th of August) that there might be interruptions of the internet connection as they will be digging and replacing some part of the line in the street. When they finished they told me that one of the underground joints was fried by a lightning strike in a recent thunderstorm.

And at this point, I am back at 56/10 Mbit with a 2-3 dB SNR and without dropping the connection again which is the most important thing to me.

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

@Damis

Thanks for update a glad problem was Line Fault and maybe LED noise – very strange the LED’s causing interference (much) but glad you seem to be working with no disconnects.

How did engineer test for electrical noise?

;-)

Damis
    Damis
    Participant

Hi guys,
    It’s about time to post another update.

First thing first. Your question, Sentinel.

I don’t know.. I don’t know how did he know, but he was right? Maybe he just guessed? I really don’t know.

Anyway, after the event I reported about a couple weeks ago, I started to investigate all cabling in my household. I went to a demarcation point in my basement with my modem to plug in to find out better line stats. So I decided to replace the whole length of the cable.

I bought several meters of good quality CAT 6 UTP cable from a reliable retailer and with it, I made new cabling going up from the basement.

The speed improved enough to be safe from dropping the connection again.
    I attached screenshots for comparison. You can navigate among them by their naming.

In the end, I am happy with the result. In a certain degree.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

@Damis, we all like a happy ending

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.