ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

This topic contains 912 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  pavlf 3 hours, 58 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 913 total)
  • Author
    gigios
    gigios
    Participant

After two days the memory seems stable also on the build 527, there is only the Firewall problem and the Port Forwarding that does not works (I have tried with and without the firewall without success).

2018-09-20 23:50 169MB (37%) 288MB
    2018-09-21 06:30 171MB (37%) 287MB
    2018-09-21 21:25 171MB (37%) 286MB - Firewall off
    2018-09-22 08:15 173MB (38%) 285MB
    2018-09-22 14:00 173MB (38%) 285MB
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by gigios gigios.
    Iggy82
    Iggy82
    Participant

I’ve given up!  I don’t know what else I can do and frankly, I’m fed up trying to get this router to work correctly.  After getting the BT IPTV (Youview) working correctly, (albeit with Plusnet + Youview) setting, I’ve encountered massive issues with 2.4GHz wireless and DHCP; which seems to be a problem that others encountered too.

I have about 30 devices in my home, although I’ve only been trying about 18 Wifi devices and 7 Ethernet connections (Added ports with an unmanned switch).  Everything on Ethernet works just fine.  However, WiFi devices suffer from some or all of the following:

• Very slowly to connect
    • Some need to be manually connected every time
    • Slow speed
    • Intermittent slow speed or ‘pauses’ where it takes 10 seconds or so to work
    • Cannot connect at all
    • Will only connect after Router is reset.

I’ve tried numerous WiFi settings to try to rectify, I’ve tried beta 583 and stable releases of 503 and 460.  Each time, a full factory reset took place after flashing the firmware.  For a router selling at £250+ on the high street, this is totally unacceptable.  It has too many bugs for me or ‘workarounds’ that are required to get something to work (i.e. Youview IPTV!)

I plugged in my BT Smart Hub 6 last night, not a single issue, not one!  Everything works perfectly.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Did you manage to try build578?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Iggy82
    Iggy82
    Participant

No, I just want a stable FW build.  I don’t want to install it knowing there is a memory leak issue.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

And many others have also given up, alas you are out of luck then, with the DSL-AC88U, all those good points/issues you detail are still relevant in various firmware’s.

If you are not happy to wait until ASUS fix firmware’s, then maybe you need to consider returning the router to retailer ad purchase something else ?

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

(Apologies, I deleted above post by Accident, now restored) UK Sentinel

That is promising, forum user @darkblak is also testing 527 and reporting no increases with RAM/Memory, this at least should provide a good basis for ASUS to produce new firmwares, and please feed this back to ASUS and I will nag them from my end also

I just checked my old notes from ASUS back in February, Yes ‘February!’ when they released this firmware and a potential fix was to enable and disable the firewall a few times and save, as this kicked firewall into action, but did not always work.

darkblak
    Participant

After 4 days:
    Beta 527 – AI Protection on – used 234MB, Free 223MB
    Beta 527 – AI Protection off – used 178MB, Free 279MB
    I have been toggling AI Protection on & off just for the fun of it.

downloaded 168 GB
    uploaded 99GB
    above is a mixture of downloading ISO from Microsoft, streaming HD video (Sky Go) on my surface and just leave it running all day and qBittorrent – this is great for upload/download connections and throughput

Multiple Wireless devices connecting and disconnecting hourly
    minimum 15 devices connected at any one time

memory is stable. Report sent to Asus – 3 more days to go on this beta

I’ve got some Hyper-V servers to spin up and run windows update on :-) That’ll warm the room up.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

@darkblak – thanks for the update and I also will send ASUS DSL team an email tonight suggesting 527 has no memory issues like more recent versions, then they can start releasing good betas with the other many fixes we need so badly :)

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

ASUS has confirmed to myself this morning they are comfortable that build527 does not have the Broadcom Kernel Memory issues, they have asked me to post a slightly newer Firmware, Build546 to ask if anybody would test also for Kernel Memory issues, this version has some minor improvements over Build527, (Firewall) but does still have wifi/DHCP ‘features’ (Microsoft wording for bugs) ;-)

I have also asked ASUS for Build546 for the DSL-AC3100 to test.

A factory reset is advisable after loading new firmware and flashing firmware twice onto router does seem to be better .

DSL-AC88U_v9.10.06_build546.zip

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/EA9AD9AB7D314FA0926C1E0B9634522CY

DSL-AC3100_v9.10.06_build546.zip

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/99D207A1AB7B44A29CF811BBC8B220F2Y

Original (old) Changelog for Reference Only:
    –        Fixed Firewall related issues.
    –        Fixed UI HTTPS failed to work issue.
    –        Removed HTTP support from web access from WAN, only HTTPS available.
    –        Removed G.fast capability from Auto-Sync mode for DSL Modulation, in order to avoid possible ADSL2+

gigios
    gigios
    Participant

Thanks for the info. The only problem is that, actually, it’s not possible to download the file. It’s necessary to wait 4 hours :(

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Thanks for the info. The only problem is that, actually, it’s not possible to download the file. It’s necessary to wait 4 hours 🙁

This just mean’s others users are also downloading, just tried the link myself and now says 3 hours, so best to try tonight ;-)

gigios
    gigios
    Participant

Ok! Now the download works!

This evening I will start the new test ;)

Edit: Unfortunately this version is the identical version tested the last weekend with the memory leak.  One suggestion from the Italian forum is to try with the firewall disabled, to check if the problem is the fix on the firewall. I will test in this way this night.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by gigios gigios.
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Edit: Unfortunately this version is the identical version tested the last weekend with the memory leak.  One suggestion from the Italian forum is to try with the firewall disabled, to check if the problem is the fix on the firewall. I will test in this way this night.

@gigios, do you mean you have tested Build546 already? or do you mean, this one has memory leak and/or this firmware has firewall issue also and maybe the alleged fix caused the memory loss?

gigios
    gigios
    Participant

The last week, for 2 days, I have tested the build 546 before to revert to 527. The firmware file is the same of the version tested, and this version (546) has the Memory Leak!
    The idea to disable the firewall was to investigate on the changes made in this firmware, but probably the problem could be in a different point because there are more ‘new/changed’ functionality in the 546 and not only the firewall.

Cozak
    Participant

Haven’t tested myself but looked back on several forums and found reports of 546 having had the memory leak. Clearly then the leak came in at this time. There are a lot more changes than just the firewall though from the notes on whirlpool forums.

Fixed Firewall related issues.

– Fixed UI HTTPS failed to work issue.

– Removed HTTP support from web access from WAN, only HTTPS available.

– Removed G.fast capability from Auto-Sync mode for DSL Modulation, in order to avoid possible ADSL2+ sync up issue.

Also, includes further changes from earlier build540 firmware:

– Fixed PPPoE host-Uniq not working issue(ADSL WAN mode), for Italy ISP.

– Fixed Web History failed to work issue.

– Fixed Web & Apps Filters can’t enable when the AiProtection is not turned on issue.

– Fixed AiProtection UI related issues.

– Fixed Firmware upgrade page > Upload/Browse buttons overlap issue.

– Fixed Firewall disabled by default issue, regardless of UI Firewall setting(issue specifically with beta Build527. For official Build503 and earlier versions not affected).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 913 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.