BT Fibre 2 Offer/ Deals

Home Forums Broadband Tech & ISP’s … BT BT Fibre 2 Offer/ Deals

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • Regular

Yeah, I think BT have cottoned on to people signing up to cheaper deals at black Friday and then renewing at black Friday so they probably realised they are loosing money but not many people paying there standard prices, even though I’m sure they are still making a good amount of money even wit the black Friday deals.

Mine is up in May so fingers crossed they have some other deals/discounts out then :)

I think this is why they went 18 month contracts to stop people renewing on Black Friday or discount periods but now they gone 24 months so means you still could renew at black Friday but you will be tied in for longer and also be tied into the annual price increases.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

I know, 24 months. Almost sounds like a life sentence , I am checking again Tommorow and Tuesday just to see if there are any changes ( curiosity) ;)

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

BT broadband prices still remain the same as Black Friday ;-(

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • Regular

yeah, not good, I guess they know ppl WFH etc so they have more chance of selling at higher prices as people need a stable/quick connection more so now and they got extra money to pay for it through saving on travel etc.

Unfortunately I’ve had to go in pretty much all the way through so no saving here, just increased costs :(

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

Life sucks sometimes

If i was braver, I would look at a 4G – 5G broadband alternative and add an 3G & 4G LTE Antenna to the side of the house

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 553
    • Addict

If I would look for 4G-5G broadband i would add a 4G/5G LTE & NR (New Radio) antenna.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

If I was brave

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

Well I took the plunge yesterday and purchased BT Fibre 2 for £32.99 a month for a 24 month contract with the first 3 months free, price did include free BT Homehub delivery and service is due to start in a couple of weeks.

By the time my contract finishes, we should have FTTP in our area, ‘ am praying’

I will keep monitoring BT prices over the next week or so, just incase there is an online BT Fibre 2 deal that is better than there Black Friday offering.

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • Regular

Did you get BT landline with that or just broadband? If so, you can pay the line rental up front yearly and hence reduces monthly outlay and I believe it works out you only pay for like 10 or 11 months of line rental due to paying up front?

That’s what I do currently, so hence monthly BT bill is low as approx £20 is line rental.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

Handy to know.

Did not bother with landline (telephone number) as we only ever receive spam calls and decided we only use our mobiles and will move to VOIP if we ever need to.

As BT is going fully digital by 2025 and dropping there PSTN services , we thought what the hell and started early ;)

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • Regular

Yes agree.

My parents signed up to FTTP and kept the line as the line rental wasn’t up and thought they could drop the line later as no longer needed after getting FTTP so they’ve moved to VOIP now BUT BT wont drop the line, for them to remove the land line, they have to pay out the remainder of the 24 month contract and then sign up for just FTTP with no line so makes it not worth it.

So plan is to live with it for the time being, when BT contract is up, they will move to a different supplier who will provide FTTP only, no phone line and be a lot cheaper than BT, unless BT reduce there prices significantly by then as they are now tied in till 2023, which will likely be more people on FTTP and BT Digital  Voice (they couldn’t move to Digital voice with BT as wasn’t a option as it’s only on a trial with certain customers when they signed up).

I was planning to drop my landline but due to shortage of FTTP only providers for me, it makes no sense at the moment so I’ll prob renew with standard FTTC for 12/24months and then look to move to FTTP if possible.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

BUT BT wont drop the line, for them to remove the land line, they have to pay out the remainder of the 24 month contract and then sign up for just FTTP with no line so makes it not worth it.

That is unfortunate – technologies and business not keeping pace with our plans

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • Regular

Oh I think they keeping pace, they just know not much alternative options atm so they charging us as much as possible as they know eventually they wont be able to get away with charging us £40+ for FTTP only vs £40+ for FTTP & Line rental so effectively charging the line rental price, even though you don’t have a landline…

They just maximising the money because they know they can atm and know they will loose it in a few years when competitors are able to supply FTTP for under £30.

My parents can get it now for under £25 FTTP with another supplier but are tied it.  For myself, i can’t get it as no other supplier supplies it in my area at the moment.  But as we seen, other companies are looking to provide it for all over the country so they wont get away with charging what they like in a couple of years, I think the will have to scrap the line rental charge and only charge less than £30 for FTTP so its just a waiting game now :)

See how quickly other suppliers can provide it.  I got VOIP setup, which is brilliant as I can add my parents line to my phone and visa versa so if parents are visiting, they can get there calls as if they were at hoe and if i visit parents, i can get my calls as if at home so win win :) Admittedly, like yourself, mostly use mobile but handle to have VOIP.  I don’t have a monthly VOIP contract etc, i just put money on it and I have to use it once every so often to keep it active so its cheap and no cost to setup either, very handy indeed and so far, calls have been fine on it, no interference etc.  Small delay when you first answer the phone to hear other person etc but we got that on VOIP phones at work so that seems to be the norm but its no big deal.

You can also get non-geographical numbers so that effectively, you can take it with you if you move as its not tied to an area.  Unfortunately, we didn’t get that option on sign up for some reason so had to choose local area numbers, slightly annoying as was hoping to get non-geographical number so i could literally keep it for ever and take it no matter where i may live in future :)

Apparently, you can even take the small box and phone with you on holiday, just link it up to the internet and you can receive/make calls on it :)  Not sure I would bother but maybe a option some will like.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 4233
    • Skipper

If I remember a few years back, BT made the decision to keep existing last leg copper lines and utilize G.fast and simular FTTC options to increase speed to homes / business etc.

The UK Government (Building Digital UK (BDUK))  at some point  encouraged BT (partners) and others to opt for a more full Fibre future in the UK.

So for some off us Full fibre is still a few years away

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 247
    • Regular

Has anyone tried using Quidco?  Previously when I changed broadband providers I always used Quidco and each time got £100+ cashback.  Never failed…..

BT Broadband you can currently get up to £150

Sky up to £135

Plusnet £90

Shell £135

Vodafone £90

Good luck trying to find the deal that suits you.  I am set for 2 year, probably have the same headache as you at that time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.