Split: ZENwifi ET8 Wifi Backhauls

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS & Wireless Split: ZENwifi ET8 Wifi Backhauls

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3646
    • Skipper

@raven – as always, thank you.

I will catch up with ASUS next week to see if they will make changes to ensure the ET8 and XT8  can support each other via 5 GHz backhaul

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Raven
    Participant
    • Posts 18
    • Regular

In fact, the whole Asus Zenwifi thing is beginning to look like a mistake.

Although asus advertises otherwise, it is always a good thing to make a mesh network with identical equipment. Many problems often arise from small (or great) incompatibilities as in this case …

CF
    Participant
    • Posts 6
    • Recruit

I know Raven.  I should know better.

Problem is, what’s the answer now?…send all the Asus kit back (3 XT8’s and 2 ET8’s) and stick with the Ubiquiti kit i’ve been using for 5 years which works flawlessly allbeit slowly or take a further punt and return the 3 XT8’s only and get another 2 ET8’s and hope they fix the issues i’m seeing with those too? (client disconnects the same as XT8 firmware greater than 42095 and poor speeds on 5 ghz even to the main node without any backhaul)

Common sense says send it all back but i expect i’ll do the latter

Raven
    Participant
    • Posts 18
    • Regular

yeah… not an easy choice!… perhaps asus will modify the et8’s 5ghz radio… but I’m not too optimistic…

About the XT8, yes… the last reliable firmware is the 42095… al the latters are bugged (dropping backhual connection)

Asus is not doing so great in firmware developing…

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3646
    • Skipper

@CF – ASUS have been reading this topic tonight I think as they have  just asked me to ask yourself to send another feedback form, as you did previously and reference UK Sentinel in comments box

Please ensure AiMesh between ET8 and XT8 is sill up and working

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3646
    • Skipper

@Raven – that is what I want ASUS to look at is the 5GHz radios and adjust.

Unfortunately, the ZENwifi ET8 is a very new device and first firmware was only released last month, as we all know, ASUS like to fix / improve firmware issues once a product has gone live

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 168
    • Regular

Is the fact that ET8 currently not supporting channels 100-140 and XT8 not supporting channels 149-165 a hardware or software limitation?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3646
    • Skipper

I am sure it is not a standards restriction, but unsure what chipset is providing the 5GHz wifi ,

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3646
    • Skipper

So I have cought up with ASUS today just to progress how compatibility between the ASUS ZenWifi ET8 and XT8 via 5GHz wifi backhaul.

So as it stands: 5GHz backhaul is not supported between US  ZenWifi ET8 and UK XT8 but they are still looking at this issue.

Below is correspondence with the ZenWifi Project manger relating to this concern, I have simplified there comments.

—–

Th ET8 should not be sold in UK amazon as we haven’t been ready to launch it in Europe.

We found using EU SKU XT8, and US SKU ET8, which is the reason they only connect via 2.4G to each other, to establish your mesh system.

“Cross SKU” is the problem.

1. You can returned purchasing of ET8, as this product should not be used in UK normally.
    2. Using your ET8 and XT8 independently.

———-

Alas I do not know if US ET8 and US XT8 are capable of using shared 5GHz back haul – so for now, if any doubts, KiS (Keep it Simple) and do not mix ZenWifi ET8 and XT8 expecting 5Ghz backhaul to work in UK.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3646
    • Skipper

FYI:

Ok, so I had an interesting conversion with the Project Manager associated with the ET8 yesterday and this morning and alas for the UK we will not be receiving the ET8 in the EU/UK.

But early next year in the EU/UK, ASUS will be launching a new ZenWifi 6E model – but model name / specs etc. are still under wraps for now

Jonathan Morris
    Participant
    • Posts 16
    • Regular

FYI: Ok, so I had an interesting conversion with the Project Manager associated with the ET8 yesterday and this morning and alas for the UK we will not be receiving the ET8 in the EU/UK. But early next year in the EU/UK, ASUS will be launching a new ZenWifi 6E model – but model name / specs etc. are still under wraps for now

Before I bought my XT8, I asked a few people in the industry for advice on Wi-Fi 6E and was told not to wait. I thought it odd, as I figured it was all ratified for use in UK/Europe, but it does seem that they’re not generally or widely available yet – and so I am glad I didn’t wait.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3646
    • Skipper

Maybe of interest ASUS new ZenWifi ZenWiFi Pro ET12 –  ETA Early 2022

ZenWiFi Pro ET12 and XT12 wireless routers mesh with the best

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.