Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

• This topic has 164 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 1 week ago by Patryk PaboPatryk Pabo.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

That sounds more like it, the xDSL range of routers for AiMesh can only be set up as Primary Router, the RT can be set as Node and Primary I believe?

Enjoy the conversion ;-)

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

booji
    Participant
    • Posts 32
    • UKTechHub Regular

Ironically since I have been running a two box solution of my old router using the external EchoLife HG612  modem I’ve realised it still is a better modem than the integrated one. When I got the new router with working modem going it looked like the HG612 had purged the DSL connection over the last month. When my original router was fully working I had to drop the D/L SNR to and reduce the uplink power to achive a 50/8 speed. The errors and interleave was high. After running the HG612 for a monthI could get 52/10 with fastpath and low errors.  When I got the replacement router working with integrated DSL the connection quickly adjusted back interleave again and struggled to get the DL/UL speeds. It just proves that the HG612 is still a good modem, especially if it’s has modded firmware with G vector capability. I’m now tempted to convert both routers to RT now. So despite the last month of me trying to get the DSL part working I’m now tempted to ditch it on the new router. At least I have a choice now of going integrated or not, which I no longer had with the old router.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by booji.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

The DSL-AC68U modem is MediaTeK, fairly good for short lines on ADSL, but long lines and VDSL, they are far from ideal.

The HG612 is a Broadcom Modem, and much better all round ;-) just the DSL-AC68U like the DSL-AC88U is a convenient as they are a one box solution.

Enjoy your new found freedom ;-)

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

nobody here who could help with stock NVRAM to repair his broken DSL-router?

Need stock nvram dump of DSL-AC68U

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Grisu.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

My DSL-AC68U is running as AiMesh (RT) , likewise, publicly sharing live NVRAM dumps online is not wise – hence why I ignored this originally.

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

There may be only secret code and MACs which shall be blanked or “x”ed.

Everything else after factory reset should be the same on all routers.

I told him he may ask in here …

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Grisu.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

There may be only secret code and MACs which shall be blanked or “x”ed. Everything else after factory reset should be the same on all routers. I told him he may ask in here …

Thanks, hopefully they have resolved the issue another way

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by UK Sentinel.

RistoE
    Participant
    • Posts 3
    • UKTechHub Recruit

Big thanks for quite simple instruction. My DSL can now be used as a aimesh node. One question however. Asit is acting as a node is there still a way to configure it to use one of the LAN ports as a wired connection to aimesh router?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

DO you mean, instead of using wifi to connect Primary to Node, you are thinking of using a wired connection between Primary and Node?

Six
    Participant
    • Posts 54
    • UKTechHub Regular

DO you mean, instead of using wifi to connect Primary to Node, you are thinking of using a wired connection between Primary and Node?

It’s a while since I played with this but I believe it’s possible if the node is wired or powerlined to the hub. If they can see each other on the network I think it will work automatically.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

AiMesh supports both Wirelss and Wired (backhaul) options, I think @RistoE means as the DSL-AC68U does not have a WAN port (RJ45) then they are seeing if ETH LAN 1 port or another is do able?

@Six – side question, did you receive notification by email on this post, and has this always been the case?

RistoE
    Participant
    • Posts 3
    • UKTechHub Recruit

Thanks, later this week when I have time I will try if the converted DSL sees the RT-AC86U automatically when wired from aimesh router LAN to node LAN. I have tried to find a way to change node settings afterwards but did not believe router could automatically configure also this setting. Thanks.

Six
    Participant
    • Posts 54
    • UKTechHub Regular

AiMesh supports both Wirelss and Wired (backhaul) options, I think @ristoe means as the DSL-AC68U does not have a WAN port (RJ45) then they are seeing if ETH LAN 1 port or another is do able? @six – side question, did you receive notification by email on this post, and has this always been the case?

I think any Ethernet Port will work.

Yes I got an email notification, and yes I normally do get them.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

It will be interesting exercise as setting AiMesh Node requires the router to reboot at set itself up, as the AiMesh -ed DSL-AC68U does not have a WAN Port, I wonder if AiMesh (RT-AC68U Fimware) will give an option for LAN ports also ?

Thanks for update on Email notifications of new posts ;-)

RistoE
    Participant
    • Posts 3
    • UKTechHub Recruit

It will be interesting exercise as setting AiMesh Node requires the router to reboot at set itself up, as the AiMesh -ed DSL-AC68U does not have a WAN Port, I wonder if AiMesh (RT-AC68U Fimware) will give an option for LAN ports also ?

I indeed seems that any AiMesh -ed DSL-AC68UEthernet Port can be connected to Aimesh router LAN. My setup has been working several days now.

Thanks for help!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.