Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

• This topic has 164 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Patryk PaboPatryk Pabo.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Watson306
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • UKTechHub Recruit

Hi Guys,
    I have a similar problem to what booji had although i’m not sure what issue I had first or unless one caused the other.
    My DSL-AC68U is also not showing any firmware details in the DSL section.
    and when I try to go through the quick setup it doesnt recongnise the line.
    I had two issues that occured very close to one another – I flashed the firmware to Gnuton’s merlin DSL firmware, and at the same time when I was trying to reset it it started to smoke.
    I have since tried leaving it on for long periods of time and it now doesnt smoke, but it also did flip onto laying onto the front (before it smoked – not sure if related).
    Anyway it now shows the blue lights on interface 1,2 & 3 or just 1 and 2 constantly and as said doesnt recognise the RJ11 in the DSL port.
    I will try some of the things mentioned above when I get home tonight or tomorrow.

Many Thanks

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2182
    • UKTechHub Skipper

A smoking ASUS router, that is new to myself and does not sound good ;-)

@booji had a few issues, so hopefully you have a backup of the config, as this has worked for another user whom converted from DSL to RT (Merlin) and back again.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Watson306
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • UKTechHub Recruit

A smoking ASUS router, that is new to myself and does not sound good 😉 @booji had a few issues, so hopefully you have a backup of the config, as this has worked for another user whom converted from DSL to RT (Merlin) and back again.

Thanks for getting back to me.
    No unfortunately I had read that the working Merlin DSL FW from GNUTON wouldnt get rid of the settings, but I work in telecomms and I can remember doubting this and very nearly made a backup.  Wish I had now.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2182
    • UKTechHub Skipper

A smoking ASUS router, that is new to myself and does not sound good 😉 @booji had a few issues, so hopefully you have a backup of the config, as this has worked for another user whom converted from DSL to RT (Merlin) and back again.

Thanks for getting back to me. No unfortunately I had read that the working Merlin DSL FW from GNUTON wouldnt get rid of the settings, but I work in telecomms and I can remember doubting this and very nearly made a backup. Wish I had now.

Always the way ;-)

booji
    Participant
    • Posts 32
    • UKTechHub Regular

Fwiw I don’t think mine smoked when I lost the DSL part of the router. In the end I got a replacement DSL-AC68U from ebay and converted my old router to RT-AC68U firmware and used it as an extender.

Ironically I left my BT (huawei HG612) plugged into my replacement DSL-AC68U since, despite it’s age, is still a better modem than the integrated one and still holds it’s own with even the latest modems.

They are still selling for under £15 on ebay so if you can’t get the DSL part of the router working and you don’t mind a 2 box solution then it’s a quick fix.

Watson306
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • UKTechHub Recruit

Does anyone have the recovery firmware that was mentioned earlier on page 4 as the link appears to have expired.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Watson306.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2182
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Does anyone have the recovery firmware that was mentioned earlier on page 5 or 6 as the link appears to have expired.

Recovery tool can be found here – https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68R/Rescue_2000.zip?_ga=2.143374837.151357553.1559243177-1735614416.1533408861

Alas I do not have access to recovery firmware, but try the latest official as this should produce the same result, the DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx seemed to be a workaround when flashed two or three times and I can ask ASUS for another copy if nobody else has a copy to share ?

Watson306
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • UKTechHub Recruit

@Sentinel – I think I may be onto a non starter as I have had a play with a new version of the firmware and it definitely now seems to not recognise anything plugged into the LAN interfaces.
    Port 1 is solid blue, port 2 is lightly flashing, and port 3 is also solid blue.  I’m sure they weren’t like that before, and this is with nothing plugged into them.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Watson306.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2182
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Just to confirm, did you flash your original DSL with RMerlin firmware or GNUTON first.?

We like a challenge ;-)

Watson306
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • UKTechHub Recruit

Just to confirm, did you flash your original DSL with RMerlin firmware or GNUTON first.? We like a challenge 😉

It was Gnuton, but I dont know if the overheating has anything to do with it.  Ive never flashed with the AC68U FW.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2182
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Thanks, Hopefully the overheating did not cause to much damage, I will ask ASUS for another link for the firmware and then try flashing (recovery) two or three times and in between, clear the NVRAM a couple of times and then just flash again with UI with recovery firmware, sounds a little long winded, but worked also for others.

If you flashed with GNUTON, then hopefully this was just a bad flash and not poor firmware build ?

Watson306
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • UKTechHub Recruit

Thanks, Hopefully the overheating did not cause to much damage, I will ask ASUS for another link for the firmware and then try flashing (recovery) two or three times and in between, clear the NVRAM a couple of times and then just flash again with UI with recovery firmware, sounds a little long winded, but worked also for others. If you flashed with GNUTON, then hopefully this was just a bad flash and not poor firmware build ?

Thank You.

Can I do that via the Gui as I cant connect at the moment to an ethernet port?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2182
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Recovery tool is needed, so LAN port must be used, try flashing with DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx via UI firstly , as this might get something working ;-)

I have asked ASUS for firmware so should hear back from them in the morning

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2182
    • UKTechHub Skipper

I have recovery firmware DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx from ASUS, hopefully this will work, I believe the key is to recovery flash a few times  (recovery mode), clearing the NVRAM also helps?

https://uktechhub.com/betas/DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx.zip

Watson306
    Participant
    • Posts 8
    • UKTechHub Recruit

I have recovery firmware DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx from ASUS, hopefully this will work, I believe the key is to recovery flash a few times (recovery mode), clearing the NVRAM also helps? https://uktechhub.com/betas/DSL-AC68U_9.0.0.4_384_21126-fix01_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx.zip

Thanks Sentinel – I have done this via the GUI and it definitely takes the firmware and resetting the nvram removes all previous settings, but the LAN ports dont then appear to work.
    But I am going to try another cable and another laptop shortly just to be sure.
    But one thing it definitely doesnt do is enter anything against the DSL firmware section.
    Another quick question – is there anything in the config file to turn LAN ports on or off?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.