DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS DSL Modem/Router Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Alpha1BA
    Participant
    • Posts 5
    • Recruit

Hi, thanks for response, what would you recommend in an ideal scenario considering im on BT and Nord?

Alpha1BA
    Participant
    • Posts 5
    • Recruit

I like the site btw! hope it doe’s well!!

Alpha1BA
    Participant
    • Posts 5
    • Recruit

I noticed ure wish list I got an M1 arriving tomorrow : )

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Thank you, work in progress

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Alpha1BA
    Participant
    • Posts 5
    • Recruit

Digital currency is always a good topic

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Digital currency is always a good topic

Great idea. thanks, 

M1 ? (Macbook) if so very very nice

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Regarding Nord VPN router choice and money no object.

1. ASUS RT-AX86U with ASUSWRT-Merlin Firmware and a DrayTeK 130 or 166 Modem
    2. ASUS RT-AX86U with Stock Firmware and a DrayTeK 130 or 166 Modem
    3. DrayTek Vigor 2865LAC  (Modem/Router) combo
    4. Mikrotik (many choices but supported with  a Draytek Modem)

In the Pipeline:

• ASUS DSL-AX82U should be suitable when it arrives in UK and after firmware has matured.
    • Negear (NetDUMA) XR500 (or simular)  – great gaming router but only Netgear routers that can support NORD VPN when firmware is better.

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Hi,

So i posted on a different forum also and someone has replied advising they there is a “Special requirements for ISP ” , make sure that is set to “ON” and then simply call the modem in a browser using the default IP address 192.168.2.1 will allow me to access the modem stats using a Vigor 130 and not needing to plug in a laptop directly to the modem etc.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried it and if it works?  I’m told the option exists on the RT-AX86U and other Asus routers so i’m now looking at the Vigor 130 instead of the 166 as if this does indeed work, no need for the 2nd port and vlan etc :)

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Usually ‘special requirement from isp’ is used for ISP such as Sky that do not use PPPoE and instead use DHCP  option 61 (your on BT) ?

Cannot see how this would help, but do agree, if you use the Vigor 130 (not 166) , access should be possible via 192.168.2.1  (http://192.168.2.1/weblogin.htm) as ASUS WAN will allow IP to traverse both ways.

I will plug in my ASUS RT-AC86U into my Vigor 130 over the weekend and let you know what work

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Hi,

ah many thanks indeed!  Yes, I’m with BT.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Many thanks again!

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

Ok, so I factory reset my DrayTeK Vigor 130 and my RT-AC86U and then set up my RT-AC86U (ASUSWRT-Merlin) and was able to get direct access to Vigor modem via Browser .

I then factory reset RT-AC86U again and reloaded firmware 9.0.0.4.386_41994 (stock) and this also allowed access to Vigor 130 via Browser

http://192.168.2.1/weblogin.htm

RT-AC86U was set-up as below and used PPPoE (I am on Plusnet) which is very simular to BT’s.

So in theory, you running RT-AX86U and Vigor 130 should be identical and no extra configuration required 

Note: if you purchase the Vigor 130, do not forget to change its default password admin/admin to something more secure

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 40
    • Regular

Hi,

Many thanks @uk sentinel for doing the test, didn’t realise you had to reset/wipe what you had, hope you didn’t loose any settings and didn’t take up too much of your time.

interest, did you turn on the “Special requirements for ISP ” or was it not needed to be enabled?

Looks like I’ll be going for the Draytek 130 then as no need for 2 ports :)

Many thanks indeed.  Just now to make a decision on which router to buy.  AX-86U is looking promising in terms of spec and speeds but it is the older looking one as opposed to the newer 82U style.  Was considering the AX88U but that appears to be nearly £300 which I can’t really justify on a router.  So it’s either 82U or 86U I think.

Going to read some more reviews and then make a decision.

Thanks again for all your help!

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

No problem, Vigor 130 is a good choice and there was No need for the  “Special requirements for ISP ” option, have fun with your Router researching 

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 370
    • Addict

You can safe Asus settings, so you can reload them after test is done easely.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2896
    • Skipper

You can safe Asus settings, so you can reload them after test is done easely.

That is exactly what I did, made a copy of my original config which made getting back to normal afterwards easy 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.