Asus RT-AC86u

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS Asus RT-AC86u

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Bully
    Participant
    • Posts 379
    • Regular

It was, had power cut about 10 minutes ago, logs are now showing correct time lol.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

It was, had power cut about 10 minutes ago, logs are now showing correct time lol.

problems that sort themselves out, perfect ;)

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

Just picked one of these up, very happy so far. :)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

Just picked one of these up, very happy so far. 🙂

Have you flashed it with RMerlins firmware yet? well worth it if you get the chance.

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

Just picked one of these up, very happy so far. 🙂

Have you flashed it with RMerlins firmware yet? well worth it if you get the chance. https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

Not yet, might give it a try over the weekend.  Is there a stable build available, have you tested?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

With my RT-AC86U, I am running RT-AC86U_384.7_0.zip and its working well, like al firmware’s, updates are introduced to improve, but this is a good starting firmware to flash.

In theory, there will be no need to factory reset router, as RMerlins firmware is based on ASUSWRT, it flashed straight over.

oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • Regular

I feel very attracted to this router since you made me discover it yesterday, it has nice dual 1.8GHz CPUs which is only matched by the GT-AC5300 and RT-NX88U which IMHO are overkill.

I mean if the RT-AC3200 can handle AiProtection and still give such nice high speed via WiFi I cannot imagine how good is the RT-AC86U, and the price is really nice.

Also the antennas chipset is the same as the GT-AC5300 which makes me think are really good.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

I feel very attracted to this router since you made me discover it yesterday, it has nice dual 1.8GHz CPUs which is only matched by the GT-AC5300 and RT-NX88U which IMHO are overkill. I mean if the RT-AC3200 can handle AiProtection and still give such nice high speed via WiFi I cannot imagine how good is the RT-AC86U, and the price is really nice. Also the antennas chipset is the same as the GT-AC5300 which makes me think are really good.

Perv ;) great price, good wifi an has WTFast for gamers (gaming VPN) and quit a small form factor.

I have around 15 wifi clients and seems to work well, if you have say 30+, then the wifi maybe an issue ?

Black Friday is just around the corner – happy shopping ;-)

oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • Regular

Is this Black Friday price? RT-AC2900 Amazon’s UK

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

Is this Black Friday price? RT-AC2900 Amazon’s UK

I think (not 100% sure) it is just an Amazon Choice special offer, but price is very good.

Edit: box.co.uk also has same offer (never used box.co.uk) but is an option>

ryan806
    Participant
    • Posts 19
    • Regular

I just flashed the latest stable merlin build 384.7_2, so far so good. :)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by ryan806.
    oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • Regular

I just flashed the latest stable merlin build 384.7_2, so far so good. 🙂

Mine arrives on Tuesday :D, can’t wait.

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

How’s it performing as i am leaving my dsl 88 u as every time IPTV is used all wifi is lost, for nest products thermostat and nest hello, echo’s and mini google and people using wifi at the time…

looking for a modem and router, so would appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

How’s it performing as i am leaving my dsl 88 u as every time IPTV is used all wifi is lost, for nest products thermostat and nest hello, echo’s and mini google and people using wifi at the time… looking for a modem and router, so would appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

As you are in UK, The Modem (DrayTeK 130) works very well and Router (ASUS RT-AC86U) with RMerlin is a good allround product that works very well, for the router, it needs to be hosen based on what you need to perform. Gaming, IPTV, number of Wifi clients, Parental controls for children etc.

RT-AC86U is a great wifi router ?

oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • Regular

You won’t find a better price/value combination than the RT-AC86U, it has the fastest CPUs of all -only matched by RT-5300 and AX-88U-, I also returned my DSL-AC88U and the RT-AC86U is just brilliant, like it was mentioned before, move to RMerlin firmware and you are set.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.