Asus RT-AC86u

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Asus RT-AC86u

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

Should I have AiProtection enabled on this router? I’m worried if I turn it on it will hinder its performance?

There are many problems reported on SNB, AiProtection is using TrendMicro and last firmwares 45xxx completely has broken this feature, on the other side TrendMicro published fraudulent spy apps last year (oh – thats only happened with some sub-companies of them), so I am quite sure they are grabbing data with this free feature too, thats how chinese business works.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

I believe the TrendMicro via the ASUS AiProtection uses DNS redirected traffic, etc, but better them than say Kaspersky ????

I have kept my eye on TrendMicro over the years, and generally, they have been consistently good, but like everything, some of it maybe hyp, ….. but interesting that sub companies are not be behaving .

I thought they where Japanese,  we all know how well the Chinese and Japanese governments get along as Japan has westernized itself more so then say China . ;-)

But do Agree, the way ASUS have recently deployed the AiProtection service has caused major technical issues, limitations and have been rather short-sighted  (me being polite)

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

Sorry, yes you are right they are Japanese, my mistake.

But anyway, at the moment (since about Nov.) all recommend disabling it for now.

Like here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68-offered-3-0-0-4-384_45708.55814/page-2#post-476348

Only wanted to tell him leave it with recent firmwares.

And something to read about Trend Micro (only the first google hit): https://www.slashgear.com/trend-micro-apps-on-mac-app-store-also-spying-on-users-09544942/

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

No problem and glad you helped, like all this stuff, better the devil you know ‘maybe’ but as @Grisu kindly suggested, if any doubts/worries, then disable AiProtection totally.

Thanks for link

Such fun ;-)

Bully
    Participant
    • Posts 378
    • UKTechHub Regular

Now I don’t know what to do lol

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

Try it if you think you need this stuff, but if you run into any problem dont ask and disable it.

It makes everything slower as all requests must hit them in a first step.

I dont think they would ever block anything helpful for me for a good reason.

And I dont trust all undocumented things, they could tell us what they do and then you could test it.

There are many threads on SNB about it, some swear on it, others hate it totally – you will have to find your own way. Keep in mind, Asus doesnt pay anything, its a free feature for them and anyhow TrendMicro has to keep their business running, somewhere we have to pay them (most likely with grabbing our data).

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Maybe another way of looking at this, if you do not use AiProtection, what else can you use…. is it worth the risk, ?

Mine is On, apart from performance issues(does not effect gaming) then kids can watch YouTube/Netflix and all are happy.

If TrendMicro want my DNS hits etc, then for me,  I do not mind ;-)

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

here a recent posting with newest 45708 firmware, still broken and not working, so no security but more problems than without: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68-offered-3-0-0-4-384_45708.55814/page-3#post-476384

or here with many postings about TrendMicro business: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-6-now-sharing-data-to-trend-micro.48202/page-7#post-476545

Thats why I sold all my Asus equipment and for the time being (will be the next 10 years) very impressed with my AVM Fritz-Mesh even using all telephone-features offered by it on old POTS-connection and v-plus DSL on main 7590. 2 nodes 7582 connected via LAN and one WLAN-repeater 7590 with phones on this all working fine as it should. Guest network with restricted access spread to all 4 routers.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Grisu.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

@Grisu, thanks for the links, most interesting, I use the RMerlin version for my RT-AC86U and use the DNS Filter (OPENDNS Family Option) at the moment for web filtering, I use the AiProtection options (minus AiP Web and Apps filtering), but will test over the next couple of days, to see if I get the same issues.

Fritz!Box’s are great units, what do you use instead of AiProtection (  Malicious Sites Blocking – Two-Way IPS – Infected Device Prevention and Blocking –  Web & Apps Filters ) on your set-up at home?

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

has not been a discussion in the past for family members, equipment without need for intranet are connecting to guest with access to internet and between guests, opened this for friends connecting to each other.

Maybe too unsecure for some, will depend on everyones needs.

PS: I edited and posted a 2nd link above with 7 pages only discussing TrendMicro. Maybe interesting for you, conclusion – not working last releases!

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Yes for me, your set-up, way to insecure for my family and equipment – but good to understand what others are doing ;-)

I’ll have a look at your 2nd link , thanks

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

frightended to death is passed away too ;-) (hope you understand this translated phrase)

Most importend things are on a HDD and stick attached to USB only for updates and file saving.

Hard to believe but I could survive even without internet some days and PC-setup is done very fast today if the worst comes to the worst.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2237
    • UKTechHub Skipper

frightended to death is passed away too 😉 (hope you understand this translated phrase) Most importend things are on a HDD and stick attached to USB only for updates and file saving. Hard to believe but I could survive even without internet some days and PC-setup is done very fast today if the worst comes to the worst.

;-)

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.