Asus RT-AC86u

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS Asus RT-AC86u

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Sentinel thanks for the advice and recommendation, ordered amazon for both 130 and 86u

hopefully my Pure VPN can be utilised now after all this time the dskl 88u has failed especially wifi with all home automation devices heating, security cams and nest hello and lights all failing when IPTV is used and netflix and prime video over wifi fails…. looking forward to a stress free Christmas period.

Can i see vdsl line stats with the draytek 130 or is it by the 86u router?

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Oxygen8 thanks for the recommendation can i ask what modem u r using

have ordered the Draytek 130 and 86u from amazon.co.uk

oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • Regular

Oxygen8 thanks for the recommendation can i ask what modem u r using have ordered the Draytek 130 and 86u from amazon.co.uk

I’m not on DSL, I bought the DSL-AC88U to have a future proof router for when the fiber comes by with the Gigabit thing, so at the moment I’m on cable provided by Virgin Media via Cisco EPC-3925, but its wifi is disabled and it is set in bridge mode so the new RT-AC86U is doing everything:

• Firewall, AiProtection.
    • Parental control + Internet scheduled time for my kid.
    • Dual band load balancer pushing most clients to 5GHz

To be honest I had forgotten about it, RAM is fine, it just works like a charm, as long as you can put a decent firmware into a router everything is good, lesson learned:

I will never buy a router without open source firmware support

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Oxygen8 thanks for the recommendation can i ask what modem u r using have ordered the Draytek 130 and 86u from amazon.co.uk

I’m not on DSL, I bought the DSL-AC88U to have a future proof router for when the fiber comes by with the Gigabit thing, so at the moment I’m on cable provided by Virgin Media via Cisco EPC-3925, but its wifi is disabled and it is set in bridge mode so the new RT-AC86U is doing everything:

• Firewall, AiProtection.
    • Parental control + Internet scheduled time for my kid.
    • Dual band load balancer pushing most clients to 5GHz

To be honest I had forgotten about it, RAM is fine, it just works like a charm, as long as you can put a decent firmware into a router everything is good, lesson learned: I will never buy a router without open source firmware support

On fibre and yes agree it can do G.Fast but that will be some time for most regions… but the dsl88u is very buggy wifi and for IPTV to work together. just that when i had the dsl 68u it was showing higher connection speeds for up and down than what the dsl 88u was showing…also proven by next door trying out the 68u … but thanks for the info..

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

Sentinel thanks for the advice and recommendation, ordered amazon for both 130 and 86u hopefully my Pure VPN can be utilised now after all this time the dskl 88u has failed especially wifi with all home automation devices heating, security cams and nest hello and lights all failing when IPTV is used and netflix and prime video over wifi fails…. looking forward to a stress free Christmas period. Can i see vdsl line stats with the draytek 130 or is it by the 86u router?

Yes and all by default, If you leave the DrayTeK 130 modem as it is, when it arrives, the access to modem will be via (192.168.2.1) and the ASUS RT-AC86U by default IP address is (192.168.50.1) and the ASUS will allow access to modem by Default by Telnet or web Browser ;-)

As the DrayTeK 130 is BT MCT (SIN498) approved, then make sure you use the latest firmware approved for BT (3.8.3 BT) and read the instructions carefully as two files are includes, .all and .RST one of the firmware’s installs and keeps the original settings, the other installs and wipes current config, you want the one that keeps the settings ;-)

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Thanks Sentinel for the heads up most appreciated. You would not know the latest firmware for the 86u to use or the merlin thing as i have never had a router by it self. also which firmware to use oem asus or merlin?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

Thanks Sentinel for the heads up most appreciated. You would not know the latest firmware for the 86u to use or the merlin thing as i have never had a router by it self. also which firmware to use oem asus or merlin?

Personally and I am technical,  I prefer RMerlin’s as his work gives me a few more options and he (RMerlin) does tend to improve upon ASUSWRT Stock firmware and add new features, fixes bugs that has been missed by the ASUS RT Team.

If you are not technical, then maybe easier/safer to stay with the ASUS Stock firmware (latest) and see how you get on. It is still good,  ;-)

RMerlin Firmware

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Thanks i will see how things go when it arrives.

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Arrived today, setup with old bt open reach modem, till the Draytek 130 arrives  working fine … how do i see vdsl connection as i did not input any settings whatso ever just ips user name and password, then router asked to update firmware to latest, which i did and then connected to isp, now in the 86u or is it set in the modem.

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

All setup for IPTV  BT Sport and Nest Hello and all wifi devices now perform excellent whilst viewing IPTV subscription channels over wired or wireless, no drop out of wifi like dsl88u….so disappointing with the all in one router… compared to the RT-AC86U which seems a million miles away in performance and connectivity…  Asus have really got it all wrong with the DSL 88 U model, especially in firmware considering the time it has been on the market, was early adopter of the model, even behind the dsl68u which performed admiradbly aswell with IPTV and wifi not being affected.  Just need to find a way to view my vdsl connection to the router… the temporary bt open reach modem is locked.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

@Mharv – you have been busy but glad you are seeing how a good router should work, alas for most BT Modems, they are locked by default, so you will not have access to the stats etc. the DrayTeK 130 is unlocked by default.

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Hey Sentinel you don’t have any settings to setup Pure VPN up on the RT86U quickly… do you.

will be greatly appreciated.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

Have you tried this?

How to Setup PureVPN Manually on Asus Router?

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • Regular

Thanks thats what i am looking at… some devices do not like secure settings to work like IPTV …

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2438
    • Skipper

Thanks thats what i am looking at… some devices do not like secure settings to work like IPTV …

Are you looking to have the VPN service to be Enabled/Disabled easily? or is VPN required all the time 24/7?

How to Setup PureVPN Manually on Asus (PPTP)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.