Asus RT-AC86u

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Asus RT-AC86u

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • UKTechHub Regular

Now, can you put the DrayTeK in bridge mode? and let the RT-AC86U do everything, you won’t need double firewall with the RT-AC86U, and go and grab your RMerlin firmware https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • UKTechHub Regular

Now, can you put the DrayTeK in bridge mode? and let the RT-AC86U do everything, you won’t need double firewall with the RT-AC86U, and go and grab your RMerlin firmware https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

modem will be arriving shortly, do you mean the draytek has a firewall built in? i was informed the configuration was auto for the draytek adsl/vdsl… just plug in and away you go, for the ?RMerlin what will it give the router extra…

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • UKTechHub Regular

Trying out Purevpn considering i could never get it to work with dsl 88 u piece of junk lol

using dedicated ip and found the following… netflix will not work says a proxy is being used lol

BT Sport via Plusnet will not work screen goes black IPC6011 issue… which is  vague

But Amazon Prime video and music work fine

Just nice to know software works with settings in router

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Trying out Purevpn considering i could never get it to work with dsl 88 u piece of junk lol using dedicated ip and found the following… netflix will not work says a proxy is being used lol BT Sport via Plusnet will not work screen goes black IPC6011 issue… which is vague But Amazon Prime video and music work fine Just nice to know software works with settings in router

Maybe worth trying RMerlins firmware as he has added some very good work around VPN’s (independent of ASUS)  which maybe more suitable for your needs?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • UKTechHub Regular

Really impressed how you can monitor real time stats from clients and apps on the router showing usage of GB’s in visual format…

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Really impressed how you can monitor real time stats from clients and apps on the router showing usage of GB’s in visual format…

If you look under adaptive QoS, > Bandwidth Monitor, you can spy on what sites users are currently visiting ;)

oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • UKTechHub Regular

modem will be arriving shortly, do you mean the draytek has a firewall built in? i was informed the configuration was auto for the draytek adsl/vdsl… just plug in and away you go, for the ?RMerlin what will it give the router extra…

Well, maybe DrayTek doesn’t have a firewall enabled but surely it won’t be in bridge mode by default so you will have double NAT which in your case there is no need, hence I suggest that you set the DrayTek in bridge mode and leave all the routing to the RT-AC86U, but I’m not really sure how is the DrayTek configured by default, I’m guessing using the historical data I have about routers in general.

That’s how I have it, but in my case my cable modem is in bridge mode so my firewall and NAT is all handled by the Asus router.

oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • UKTechHub Regular

Here it is (I hope I have found the router you bought) how to set it to bridge mode:

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-use-pppoe-pass-through-and-bridge-mode-on-vigor130/

oxygen8
    Participant
    • Posts 38
    • UKTechHub Regular

Actually it is quite confusing the way they explain it, if your Asus router has a WAN IP that looks like external then your router is in bridge mode, the idea is to prevent the ADSL from doing the NAT (Network Address Translation) and that it serves as a bridge instead of a router.

Bridge mode is brainless, in that the router will do no CPU work hence it will be faster, that way it will not be a bottleneck for your RT-AC86U speed if you know what I mean.

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • UKTechHub Regular

Here it is (I hope I have found the router you bought) how to set it to bridge mode: https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-use-pppoe-pass-through-and-bridge-mode-on-vigor130/

Oxygen8 thanks for the heads up and will do that much appreciated.

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • UKTechHub Regular

Actually it is quite confusing the way they explain it, if your Asus router has a WAN IP that looks like external then your router is in bridge mode, the idea is to prevent the ADSL from doing the NAT (Network Address Translation) and that it serves as a bridge instead of a router. Bridge mode is brainless, in that the router will do no CPU work hence it will be faster, that way it will not be a bottleneck for your RT-AC86U speed if you know what I mean.

understand you much more on that cheers.

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • UKTechHub Regular

If you look under adaptive QoS, > Bandwidth Monitor, you can spy on what sites users are currently visiting 😉

Yes this router is imho a better router than the dsl 88u…

Mharv
    Participant
    • Posts 25
    • UKTechHub Regular

Upgraded to RMerlin 384 and really impressed with the extra settings and info available. So far not one problem

Bully
    Participant
    • Posts 378
    • UKTechHub Regular

Should I have AiProtection enabled on this router?  I’m worried if I turn it on it will hinder its performance?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Should I have AiProtection enabled on this router? I’m worried if I turn it on it will hinder its performance?

Generally, unless you are using wifi /network for lots of high bandwidth file transfers, better to leave AiProtection enabled, especially if you are worried about the Internet and security etc.

Mine is also Enabled for my RT-AC86U

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.