Asus RT-AX88U – Firmware Updates

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Asus RT-AX88U – Firmware Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Congrats for your purchase and glad it seems to be working well.

Are you comparing speeds via wifi or Ethernet ?

A quick  ASUSWRT-Merlin vs ASUSWRT Vid

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Yes – I appreciate the difference in testing methods (not being narky honestly – really appreciate the tips)

I will give it a thorough LAN test when the children are offline, it was just that a basic Wifi speedtest on the BT router and on the ASUS shows a speed drop of about 50 MBps (the BT Homehub got close to my advertised 300/50 even on Wifi)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Does sound strange so hopefully the wired test will help guide us as to if speed drop is wifi or ethernet or both

Edit, I am just curious, did you have FTTC before to your home and what did they charge to add the fibre link/cable etc ?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by UK Sentinel.

bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Thanks will come back to you (when the others are offline!)

Yes I was on FTTC before, now on FTTP. Seamless installation for which the engineers have to be congratulated. Max speed on the Wirral appears to be 300 MBps rather than the Star Wars light speed 900 MBps available elsewhere!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by bwj.
    bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Speedtests have improved now that everyone else is asleep – up to full speed on LAN and approaching it on Wifi

In answer to the question, I was already on BT FTTC but don’t know if that makes any difference; there were no Openreach installation charges and my contract is roughly the same per month for FTTP as before. Especially happy now that the new router let’s me take full advantage!

Seperate note maybe not for this forum but why is fitting a new (AX) wifi card in a laptop always such a pain in the a…? The antenna clips never click on and I’ve managed to snap one off completely! Need to buy a whole new antenna now. For a Dell Alienware that promotes itself as being easy to upgrade…

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

The price sounds very good for fibre, was there a fibre connection point outside you home already?

Dell’s are usually good for repairs, and parts readily available, but yes, a steady hand is required

You can use solder glue to make the join (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conductive-Wire-Glue-Paint-Soldering/dp/B00SRIITQ4) and have used this in the past but more for electrical breaks than wifi circuits etc.

With your ASUS RT-AX88U, best to disable AirTime Fairness as this maybe what is causing the speed issues via wifi when a few wifi clients are connected.

If you are using Smart Connect, you could be jumping between wifi bands whilst moving around etc.

Also AiProtection can cause the speeds to decrease /increase CPU usage etc. so be aware if using this option for content filtering etc.

bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Yes Openreach fitted fibre connection points to every home locally about 2 months ago, whether or not you had already expressed an interest. The BT website showed the availability of FTTP upgrade the very same day so all surprisingly seamless. Only wait was for the modem fitting inside the house which is clearly understandable at the moment.

Thanks for the tips which I have taken on board.

At the risk of straying off topic again – the solder glue tip is a good idea for a temp fix. In the illustration the antenna with red arrow is just bare wire. Is it sufficient to make the contact with anywhere on the round gold clip on the wifi card/or do you need a super steady hand to make sure the contact is only between the wire and the centre “pin” on the gold clip?

Attachments:
    Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 262
    • UKTechHub Regular

In my opinion forget about glueing the antenna. Outer shielding and inner signal pin must not have any contact! How would you get it done it with this paste?

This is not only a wire but a shielded cable, only at the end it could be without shielding and that is the antenna part of it with more or less exactly defined lenght.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Grisu.
    bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Yes – that is what I feared about the antenna connections

Would routing a generic antenna cable (like in link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Universal-Internal-Antenna-for-Wireless-Wifi-Mini-PCI-PCI-E-Laptop-Desktop/163656043628?hash=item261aa90c6c:g:RmsAAOSwYAdd0jVI) through my laptop case to the Wifi card be a temporary solution (while I wait for the two month ship for the correct antenna from China)?

To stay on topic I am super happy with this router and just how easy it was to setup – just need to get full use of the AX capabilities now!

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

Just taken an old (scrap) laptop apart and cut one of the antenna wires, yes can confirm that they have an inner insulated copper core and outer braded/cables like tv aerial cables do

forger the glue

Edit: maybe take the connector apart and see if you can re-join it to cable with tweasers and magnifying glass and a very steady hand ?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by UK Sentinel.

bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

The AX card itself is fine – it’s the antenna that is broken and hard to source a replacement for (the gold crimped on clip has sheared away from the antenna cable just leaving bare wire exposed). I read elswehere that this is a common problem but I doubt it is covered by the warranty!

I’m getting by with an AC dongle while I wait for an antenna.

The AX card is currently available on Amazon for £34

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q4YYQC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

You posted just before I amended my post, I viewed the above video which does look a tad tricky ?

bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Ha – yes, sorry for cutting across your edit. I had seen that video online while researching the issue!

Seems to require a microscope and super steady hands. Nothing to do with COVID-19 early in the day drinking, and I have a little tech proficiency, but think that would beyond me!

Going to see on Monday if any of the repair shops might have the equipment as in the video but those I’ve spoken to so far, give the genreic response of “replace the antenna.”

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2246
    • UKTechHub Skipper

no problem, replace cable sounds safest option,

bwj
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

After a weekend of no problems and no complaints with this router, I’ve run into this problem on the Monday morning return to work and search a solution:

My other half has a “civil service” laptop that is obvioulsy remotely managed and the security settings block access to Windows Device Manager so the user can’t update WiFi drivers etc

Hard to be sure but I suspect the Wifi card is on an old Wireless N or even Wireless G standard. First, her laptop couldn’t see the network at all but after resetting the 2.4GHz network to “Wireless N only”  on the AX router mode we can get connected. Small problem is that that setting then throttles all of the other 2.4GHz only devices like the Skybox and Alexa.

I note the Asus help pages for the AX88U suggest updating the Intel Wifi drivers as this is a known problem but that is not an available option for the above security reasons.

What I am wondering is whether it would be possible to use my defunct HomeHub as a bridge and set up a network just for this device? Any hints on feasability and setup greatly appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.