Asus RT-AX88U – Firmware Updates

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Asus RT-AX88U – Firmware Updates

• This topic has 111 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

Good to know, Merlins firmware is very good and he usually fixes bugs that ASUS do not realise – wifi that is something he cannot change (closed source), but maybe something else caused an issue to which he fixed / changed and carried forward to ASUS flash

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

Well I was using Merlin 384.13 since I bought my rt-ax88u, but there was something wrong with later builds (could be related to messed up with WiFi driver). I only installed the latest asus to check if there is a progress with WiFi, and looks like it is. Is very similar to build I used recently. On top of everything after dirty flash it’s still all good so just waiting for Merlin fw of this version 😉

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

With this fw 3.0.0.4.384.8018, RT-AX88U remind me good old Rt-ac68u, once is set you forget about it. Since flashed no problems at all, working from home every day with wife connected to company vpn, teleconference, skype, WhatsApp. Not even single disconnection , in same time kids watching YouTube and playing online games. Love it

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

With this fw 3.0.0.4.384.8018, RT-AX88U remind me good old Rt-ac68u, once is set you forget about it. Since flashed no problems at all, working from home every day with wife connected to company vpn, teleconference, skype, WhatsApp. Not even single disconnection , in same time kids watching YouTube and playing online games. Love it

Good to hear that ASUSWRT for the RT-AX88U is finally working as it should be for wifi, thanks for update, How’s QoS as I read that is still a little broken

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I only use traditional QoS and it’s doing the job. I had day or two where I wasn’t sure if QoS working properly but it turn out that actually broadband throughput was crap due to all this lock down, other than that perfectly fine.

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

New FW available 3.0.0.4.384.9107, dirty upgraded from previous official, so far all O.K.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

Changelog: for above post – Asus RT-AX88U Version 3.0.0.4.384.9107

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.9107

– Enhanced connection stability
    – Modified the Telnet/SSH setting UI message
    – Fixed login bugs.
    – Support router certificate export. After import the certificate to the computer you will not see the warning message when login with https. Please refer to https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294/

Download Link

bwj
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Thinking of getting this router now that I’m on BT FTTP and ditching the DSL-AC88U

Does this one have better support for ipv6? On the DSL-AC88U it is not possible to change the LAN prefix from 64 to BT’s standard 56 prefix.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

Yes, the DSL-AC88U never supported /56 which was a real pain for myself also.

ASUS made some changes to IPv6 last ear and I have not heard of any negatives regarding IPv6 / 56 for the RT-AX88U,

Also the RT-AX88U is supported by RMerlin (ASUSWRT-Merlin) and if any issues with IPv6 /56 I will have a chat with ASUS

I believe a couple of Forum users own this model, so hopefully they can advise ?

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

Don’t use IPv6 so can’t advise on that unfortunately.

bwj
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Thanks – helpful and prompt reply! Will ditch the DSL router!

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I used dsl-ac88u in the past, once switched to rt-ax88u never looked back, two different worlds, once I setup rt-ax88u I forgot about it, no issues at all.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

and ASUSWRT-Merlin makes it even better

bwj
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 13
    • Total Posts 13
    • UKTechHub Regular

Well please forgive the cusswords but f… me backwards what a world of difference there is between these two routers. ASUS have shamefully given up on any support for the DSL-AC88U whereas the new purchase of the AX enabled RT-AX88U has provided virtually painfree setup and seamless ipv6 connectivity.

What a world of difference … the last router took hours to setup and provided constant niggles. [Ignore this if you see my eBay sale of this router!]

My only comment is that on basic speedtests I’m getting about 50/60 MBps less than the BT Homehub for download speeds, upload speeds are identical. Any expert tips?`

Thought I was taking a risk going for an expensive ASUS again but it’s worked out. Forgive a newb question but what are the advantages of now also switching to Merlin firmware when everything is stable and working as is?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by bwj.
    Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

What’s your wifi settings, did you read this thread from beginning? There is a few helpful tips on the way to last page 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.