Asus RT-AX88U – Firmware Updates

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Asus RT-AX88U – Firmware Updates

• This topic has 111 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

Thanks for your input, this is what I try to say from the beginning but looks like some of the info been lost…

I connect to 2.4 network because is faster upstairs then 5g, on previous routers was opposite, as supposed to be. When I connect my LG v30 to 5G link speed is 866Mb/s but speed test getting only 45Mb/s even then I sit 2 meters away from router. Upstairs I got 500Mb/s plus – link speed, but speedtest getting ridiculous 2-3Mb/s,on 2.4g I got slightly better. To my 5G network are connected only my pc and my son as these two are only able to use full bandwidth capability, don’t have idea why? My pc for now (will be changed soon) got Asus pce-ac68 card and sync with 1.3Gb/s I can get full broadband speed, my son card is with realtek chip and he got around 1.1-1.3Gb/s link with full speed achievable through speedtest.

I don’t really need to connect other devices to 5G for now, once became more “powerful” I will switch to it rest of smart TVs.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Mrk26.
    XRW
    Participant
    • Topics 5
    • Replies 76
    • Total Posts 81
    • UKTechHub Regular

ok

i might think 2.4ghz might be culprit lol , i have hardly ever tested 5ghz device on 2.4 ghz …. but i use smart connect .. so it auto connect to 2.4 ghz or 5ghz as per situation

u can also try moving to 40Mhz Channel on 2.4 Ghz and see if speed increase
    or

on 5ghz professional settings .. enable Multi user MIMO , 802.11AC Beam forming .. than reboot and connect those device on 5ghz and check speed ?

i would prefer moving to 5ghz channel because it got most bandwidth available with less interference …….

PCE-AC68 is 3×3 stream device = 1,300 Mbps is max it will get at 80Mhz channel bandwidth which is good and according to expectation

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I got set 2.4 to 20/40Mhz, I tried yesterday with 5g and 80Mhz with mu mimo and beam forming, rebooted router make no difference on my mobile. I may be wrong but I think mu mimo working only with devices which support it? I don’t think any devices in my house support this?

I wonder if protect management frame don’t cause this issue? When I tested my mobile on other router which don’t have this all was O.K.

It shows on screenshot that non other devices got this, I believe is (pmf-opt), and for some reason I can’t turn this off.

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I did another test to compare, laptop in far corner of my bedroom and my mobile, booth connected to 5G, as you can see on screenshot mobile phone much better connection (laptop with intel card), where on laptop speedtest give me results of D-72.19Mb/s and U-18.48,mobile phone give D-2.55Mb/s and U-5.35Mb/s, how wired is that?

Edit

Found some more info, so maybe that is my problem?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/protected-management-frames.15584/

XRW
    Participant
    • Topics 5
    • Replies 76
    • Total Posts 81
    • UKTechHub Regular

hmm @ that data rate your phone will easily support 250Mbps+

ok lets see … my settings are like …

wifi – general tab

802.11ax/ Wi-fi 6 mode -> Enable
    WPA Encryption – AES
    Authentication Method – WPA2 Personal
    Protected Management Frames – Capable ( on previous firmware it was disable )
    Channel bandwidth – 20/40/80 ( unchecked 160MHz and DFS )
    Control Channel – 36

WPS Tab ->
    WPS – Off

Professional Tab
    Region Set to -> Asia

your phone SOC Snapdragon 835 does support – MU-MIMO … ( but not sure if LG enabled it or not on software side )
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-835-mobile-platform

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I got nearly exact settings apart of channel set to 44 (neighbours around don’t use this one) and I don’t have option for region settings.

You said that it was possible to disable protected management frame in previous fw, was that 384.13?

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

When I loaded ASUSWRT-Merlin 384.14 for my RT-AC86U – Protected Management Frames – was disabled by default and can be set o disabled > capable > required

PMF only works with specific hardware formats and for normal home usage, disable is easier.

Keep it simple “KIS”

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I can choose all three options but only option “disable” not saving.

@XRW
    You are my Hero, or early Santa 😆
    Just done dirty flash to 384.13 and I was able to disable on booth 2.4 and 5Ghz and is actually save the settings, all back to how it should be, 70Mb/s download speed on mobile.

Thanks a lot!!!

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

When I loaded ASUSWRT-Merlin 384.14 for my RT-AC86U – Protected Management Frames – was disabled by default and can be set o disabled > capable > required PMF only works with specific hardware formats and for normal home usage, disable is easier. Keep it simple “KIS”

Trouble is that on rt-ax88u on latest Merlin fw I couldn’t save “disable” option, other two was O.K to save.

Now all back to normal 🤩

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

I see, A bug with 384.14 for the RT-AX88U ;-) I wonder if that is the same with ASUSWRT Stock firmware ?

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I didn’t tried really on stock, original fw on my rt-ax88u was for 5 mins when was powered first time 😂

Since then on Merlin all the time.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

I didn’t tried really on stock, original fw on my rt-ax88u was for 5 mins when was powered first time 😂 Since then on Merlin all the time.

XRW
    Participant
    • Topics 5
    • Replies 76
    • Total Posts 81
    • UKTechHub Regular

glad everything is sorted out for you :)

ASUS Stock 3.0.0.4.384.6436 where it’s changed ..because of push towards WPA3 and OFDMA …. when you enable WPA3 ..you will need Protected Management Frames Enable/ Capable .. ( through in 384.6436 WP384.6436 WPA3 and OFDMA was not shown as options )

it’s weird that you were not able to save disable option maybe GUI bug  …  ( through you should report PMF issue to ASUS by feedback form on your router that your phone get very slow speed when PMF is Enable or Capable on 5GHz ….. because WIFI stuff is closed source and fully controlled by ASUS …. )

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I posted this info on SNB forum, I didn’t see feedback option on Merlin fw. My hw version is 1.1.

So far all nice and smooth on 384.13, since yesterday no issues at all.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 309
    • Replies 1692
    • Total Posts 2001
    • UKTechHub Legend

No Feedback option via ASUSWRT-Merlin, only official (Stock) ASUSWRT has this option.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.