ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3397
    • Skipper

Touch wood, since I posted the node hasn’t dropped to 2.4GHz and is showing PHY around 2550Mbps (give-or-take).

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Raven
    Participant
    • Posts 17
    • Regular

Is your setup stable? Mine seems quite good for the last 2 days. Where did you check to find the -db? I think I saw somewhere there is a way to test the real world transfer rate over wifi between nodes using the PC (via terminal) and mobile phone (via an app). Cannot find it now, anyone know what I am talking about or know how to do it?

With firmware 42095 I’m rock solid…

You will find the node’s connection’s strenght in the app,  by tapping over the nodes (it gives the information right over the name)

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

With firmware 42095 I’m rock solid… You will find the node’s connection’s strenght in the app, by tapping over the nodes (it gives the information right over the name)

Thanks, found it now.  I use the web browser so not sure where everything is on the app

Good to hear it is working well now.  I updated back to 43170 to test something and seems to be working fine for me at the moment

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

I think I saw somewhere there is a way to test the real world transfer rate over wifi between nodes using the PC (via terminal) and mobile phone (via an app). Cannot find it now, anyone know what I am talking about or know how to do it?

I found what I was looking for.  It was iperf, not sure if anyone used this.

When connecting android phone and PC to the same node, I am able to successfully run transfer test.  For some reason it is not working if phone and PC are connected to different nodes.

Am I missing something?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3397
    • Skipper

Ok, so I have had feedback from ASUS regarding the variations in PHY Rate, personally I can understand this reasoning if test are conducted during different times of the day only, anyway, I have asked ASUS to look at this with the next firmware release and check stability etc. (whenever that is ) ?

Fingers crossed

——-

The phy rate will fluctuate based on noise of target environment, unless there is constant low rate which leads to significant drop of speed,

——-

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

Ok, so I have had feedback from ASUS regarding the variations in PHY Rate, personally I can understand this reasoning if test are conducted during different times of the day only, anyway, I have asked ASUS to look at this with the next firmware release and check stability etc. (whenever that is ) ? Fingers crossed ——- The phy rate will fluctuate based on noise of target environment, unless there is constant low rate which leads to significant drop of speed, ——-

Thanks, I have nailed it down to mostly low PHY rate in the evenings.  Most of the daytime it does fluctuate but not as low as in the evening.  The low evening PHY rate is then translated to lower internet speed test results.

Jonathan Morris
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

I can live with fluctuations, just as long as it can self-heal and restore a decent connection by itself. If I come and find it has dropped to 2.4GHz or is giving a throughput of a few megabits, something is wrong.

Still holding on with 5GHz now (2500-2800Mbps), and not even a RADAR detection issue to drop it from 160MHz either. Gotta keep those fingers crossed…

Thanks for the updates – let’s hope a new firmware is on its way to make it fully stable for all.

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

I can live with fluctuations, just as long as it can self-heal and restore a decent connection by itself. If I come and find it has dropped to 2.4GHz or is giving a throughput of a few megabits, something is wrong. Still holding on with 5GHz now (2500-2800Mbps), and not even a RADAR detection issue to drop it from 160MHz either. Gotta keep those fingers crossed… Thanks for the updates – let’s hope a new firmware is on its way to make it fully stable for all.

Totally agree with that, 3+ days uptime now.  How can I check for RADAR detection issue?  Is the only way to check is if backhaul drops to 2.4GHz?

I have been on channel 100 and 160MHz throughout the uptime

Jonathan Morris
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

The Radar issue should show in the log and it drops to 80MHz on 5G, not 2.4GHz. Frankly, I don’t know how or why it ever drops to 2.4GHz because there’s no specific setting to tell it to do so.

I read elsewhere that when it drops from 160 to 80MHz it might not go back (the Wi-Fi 6 spec suggests it will try again after about 30 minutes and regular intervals thereafter if there’s another detection), but I can live with that in comparison to going to 2.4GHz (which seems to then report a weak signal, as in theory if it was a good signal then it wouldn’t be such a problem).

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

With firmware 42095, I cannot connect to 160MHz and is always 80MHz.  With 43170 it instantly connects to 160MHz and the PHY rate is higher than 42095.  In my case 43170 seems more stable but with the fluctuations in PHY rate.

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

Just an update, lost internet connection around the house with what seems like the backhaul rebooting.  This has happened twice now in 2+ weeks and each time it was after 8 days.  Is that a coincidence?  After a few minutes all nodes reconnected and internet was back up both times.  I have saved the logs and settings this time round.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3397
    • Skipper

Interesting, especially after 8 days. maybe check nextime it was not modem/router loosing sync or running out or memory ?

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

Under Asus system log the uptime is 8 days 8 hours 13 minutes.

The Hyperoptic Nokia modem running time is 8 days 8 hours 15 minutes.

So it looks like the mesh went down?

The last time it went down it was similar.  Last time I went and factory reset the modem and the whole mesh network thinking that might clear any issues with possible settings.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3397
    • Skipper

Agreed, send  feedback form to ASUS if the ZenWifi as this option, and detail issue

Or pass / attach logs and I will forward to ASUS.

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 140
    • Regular

Thanks, I have sent feedback.  Would it be better if you sent to your contact?  Happy to PM the syslog.txt to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
UKTechHub.com