Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS Converting DSL-AC68U to RT-AC68U for use as AiMesh Node – Solved

This topic contains 142 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

hard time – but better to accept the fact that it passed away than waste more time for nothing.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Grisu Grisu.
    UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

As @Grisu hinted (in his always direct way) if flashing and clearing NVRAM did not cure LAN port issues, and you / have tried different cable and all four ports are dead, then it appears the router has been damaged

Shame really as you only had issue due to trying third party GNUTON firmware ?

@Grisu, has others reported flashing issues with GNUTON and overheating for DSL-AC68U ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Watson306
    Participant

Yeah not sure if the overheating or the firmware flash caused it.
    I never noticed the LAN ports not working previously (as I cant remember the last time I plugged anything into them), but the DSL port was definitely working.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Watson306.
    Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

not a single one had or posted troubles with flashing GNUton’s firmware.

But 2 had very high CPU-temps 90-100°C, but already with AsusWRT and first time saw it with Gnuton-Merlin!

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

90-100°C does sound hot – will be interesting when others use Gnuton-Merlin, if they have similar core CPU temps.

I guess @Watson306  was just unlucky with his DSL-AC68U

Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

NO, it is not related to Gnuton, only that it will be shown with Gnuton/Merlin in first place and somewhat hidden with stock firmware (or even not shown at all, cant remember).

Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

Problem with DSL-AC68U is that DSL chip produces much heat too and by design its a mess!

Temps cant be seen on GUI with AsusWRT and as soon as you load GNUton’s firmware you get awar of the high temps inside. They will be at 90°C by default – NOT GOOD.

Here someone started a project to reduce temps of DSL-AC68U, he is still writing and testing:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-temperture-issues-and-how-to-solve-them-project-hex-c.57065/

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

@Zendilar has done some great work on this and good to see inside the DSL-AC68U.

I have always wondered this since I converted my  DSL-AC68U to RMerlin a couple of years ago.

DSL-AC68U has :

1 x 2.4 GHz wifi chip (Broadcom)

1 x 5 GHz wifi chip  (Broadcom)

1 x Main CPU   (Broadcom)

1 x DSL chip (MedaiTeK)

So from the temps given by GNUton firmware, we are getting temps from wifi and Main CPU, but no temps from DSL chipset

I wonder if that chipset (DSL) is sitting next to main CPU and has no thermal pad, hence why main CPU is getting really hot ?

Either way, ASUS poor thermal design

My DSL-AC68U with RMerlin temps are:

2.4 GHz     –   52 C

5 GHz      –    54 C

CPU        –     86 C

So getting very warm acting as AiMesh Node ;-)

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.