DSL-AC68U – Support setup as AiMesh RE node/child (Beta)

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS DSL-AC68U – Support setup as AiMesh RE node/child (Beta)

This topic contains 49 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lax 5 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

Merlin uses Asus GPL (public codebase) and makes his improvents (security and bug fixes, driver updates and many features including the possibility to run your own scripts) based on it. But only for Asus RT routers.

GNUton uses Merlins GPL and adapts it for DSL-AC68U which is very similar to RT-AC68U, most hardware is the same beside DSL-part.

@UK Sentinel: Would be really interesting for me to have his knowledge ;-)

I can recommend to use their enhanced and updated firmwares, they are public and everybody can use and compile it on his own as it is or add your special changes before.

Daniele728
    Participant

Good, may I have the link where I can find stable firmware for DSL-AC68U? Do u think I can use beta Merlin on second DSL (the node) and stable Asus on the master one?

Thanks 🙏🏼

Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

You have to wait some days maybe weeks for stable versions, this first alpha is not usable:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/

Maybe you can help him to proove his builds and report back any bugs:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/page-16#post-509947

Which beta Merlin? Merlin never supported DSL modems.

You will have to test them how GNUtons and stock Asus are working together, should be no problem but it is just too early to say!

As soon as it is stable I would use this fork with much more possibilities on both devices, especially on main router.

Be patient !!! – think in september they will have it run reliable.

stigpepper
    Participant

Hi,

Did you manage to get this working?

I’ve 2 DSL-AC68U routers, I’m running the latest stock firmware on the primary router and have installed the beta firmware onto the router I plan to use as the AIMESH node.

I’ve had no luck though as the primary router is not not find the node when I use the search functionality through the GUI.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Yep, does work, what is actual version number of  firmware (ASUS) are you using for the Primary ?

When setting up Node/Child is it located very close to Primary?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Daniele728
    Participant

I also setted primary with last stable version and the node with BETA linked in the previous post, confirm everything works flawless.
    I just did factory reset on the node and nothing touched on the primary, when started match procedure i put the devices at maximum 3 meter each other.
    Any question let me know.

VPN.AUS
    Participant

The node Beta firmware works only for 2.4Ghz not for 5Ghz, because it has different channel to the main router. This means when you connect to the node 5Ghz you cannot have access to internet.

Hope they will fix this soon in the next firmware release so we can use our DSL-AC68U as a node properly.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

As @VPN.AUS detailed, 5GHz is used as backhaul, so only 2.4Ghz for devices

Its a Bata, but glad ASUS are putting the unused DSL-AC68U to good use

stigpepper
    Participant

Thank for the advice guys.

The primary router firmware version is 3.0.0.4.384_80766-g91c286d (see screenshot)

The secondary / node router firmware version is 8.0.0.4.919_0-gd3b2011 (see screenshot)

I’ve performed a factory reset on the secondary / node router and have the routers placed approx 1.5 metres apart but the primary router is not recognising the secondary router as an aimesh node connecting via WIFI.

Any ideas?

stigpepper
    Participant

Hi,

Quick update I managed to get the secondary router successfully set-up as an aimesh node.

I’m not exactly sure what I did to resolve the issue, firstly I attempted to connect to the node via ethernet cable when that did not work I rebooted my primary router, power cycled the secondary router, moved the secondary router closer to primary router (within 1 metre), searched for the node and it paired successfully.

It might be worth noting that the DSL cable was plugged into the primary router when pairing was successful.  The aimesh configuration procedure advises that the DSL cable should be unplugged when searching for the node.

Thanks again for the advice, now I should be able to get a reliable WIFI connection in the loft.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Good news and yes maybe a bug in that DSL cable needs to remain plugged in (mine was when I tested configuration) and both Primary and Node (child) needs to be within a metre of one another (Microsoft call them features)

Thanks for update and extra hints.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel.

Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

They just released an official firmware with Aimesh-child support.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-beta-firmware-released-with-aimesh-node-child-support.57737/#post-517592

Direct firmware download (visible choosing OS others): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68U/FW_DSL_AC68U_v300438481140.zip

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Grisu Grisu.

Daniele728
    Participant

Is this a beta or final firmware?

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

As it is a version 3, this should be official, alas I just had a look at the ASUS download servers and most upto date DSL-AC68U firmware is Version 3.0.0.4.384_80766

So may appear in a day or so as a general download.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel.

Grisu
    Grisu
    Participant

this is official!!!

you have to choose OS others to see it right now or wait some days …

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.