RT-AX86U Firmware Update

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS & Wireless RT-AX86U Firmware Update

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

I did – ASUS did respond just saying they will look into it, so that is code for ‘will add it to list’

Is the LAN port connected to a switch ?

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

ok thanks.

Yes, setup is basically:-

ONT -> RT-AX86U WAN port

Cables in house all go to Patch panel -> Switch -> RT-AX86U LAN port

VOIP phone base station -> RT-AX86U LAN port

My VOIP phone base station connects direct to RT-AX86U LAN port but again still no access times shown.

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

I will plug in one of my ASUS routers later today and attach an Ethernet cable to my PC / Lap atop, just to see if this is a common problem or just because switch is involved etc.

VOIP phone should register so problem is interesting

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

Ok, so I tested my RT-AC86U running ASUSWRT-Merlin and my DSL-AX82U with both Stock Firmware and GNUtons build and all three tests show no values for Access Times (Tx / Rx Rate) when using an Ethernet connection

I will also send this info to the DSL team as this is a shared issue across both ASUS RT and DSL models unless I have missed something in the settings option somewhere

Attachments:

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 517
    • Addict

What I can remember this has been forever.
    LAN-speed is known 1Gb/s in both directions (full duplex or 10/100 depending on client) and access time 100% – so no need to write it over there.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Grisu.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Grisu.
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

Thanks – glad it’s not just me :)

Will look forward to a update, would be nice to see some numbers :)

Kev

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

But what if you have a issue and wired device keep dropping off? If it showed you the times you would know how long it had been connected for and could help pin point when it lost connection so could try and develop a pattern i.e. happens when another device turned on or very x hours etc.  If the feature is there, surely it should show the times? Every other router I’ve had has always shown times, BT routers , Netgear and draytek.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

Looking back, I think @Grisu is correct, ‘it has always been like that’, but no harm in asking them to change it – I just hope they (ASUS) listen ;-)

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

Ok, so after a few emails, ASUS has confirmed it has always been this way with Ethernet connections and it seems they are not prepared to change the access time details for wired clients.

FYI – RMerlin has addressed this issue in part as he has created a dedicated panel showing Ethernet connections and there connection speed, but for those on Stock Asuswrt firmware, this will not happen

ASUSWRT-Merlin

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

Hi,

Thanks, the Asus stock firmware has that same panel and shows me what ports on the router are connected and at what speed but doesn’t show a length of time connected.

I presume RMerlin doesn’t show access times for wired connections in the list of devices connected also?  I’ve attached a pic of the same pic you attached with the stock firmware :)

Thanks

Kev

Attachments:
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

I see, oops

Alas RMerlin for Access Times is the same as ASUS stock

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

Thanks, that’s a shame oh well :)

Thanks for asking :)

Kev

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 517
    • Addict

You should see LAN (dis)connection in logs, if you are interested in them with time-stamp.

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

Hi all,

Just noticed Asus have a new firmware out – Version 3.0.0.4.386.45934 – 11/11/2021, has anyone tested this one at all yet?

Would I be able to go from 3.0.0.4.386_45375 to the latest firmware or do I need to go to the previous version first and then the latest version?

Was considering moving to the 7/10/2021 release but might as go to the latest one, assuming its been tested and all is ok?  It’s not been out long, so might wait a bit longer before giving it a try.

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

Going from 3.0.0.4.386_45375 to the latest firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.45934 should not be an issue, but a factory reset after upgrade is advisable, especially if you encounter problems.

As for stability etc, hopefully others can advise more ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.