RT-AX86U Firmware Update

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS & Wireless RT-AX86U Firmware Update

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

Thanks, so if I went to the previous version (next one up from current firmware) and then updated to the latest, it wouldn’t need a Factory reset?

Thanks

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

In theory your are correct, but if you notice connection issues etc, the a factory reset is the best way forward.

Upgrades should happen seamlessly, but we all realise sometimes coding is not what it could be

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

Thanks, i saw on another forum some people having issues and having to go back to August firmware so i might hold fire for a bit and see….

Do you know if there is much difference firmware wise for the AX86U and AX86S? As currently thinking setup the 86S the same as 86U, update it to latest firmware and then set it up.  If all is ok, then in theory do my 86U and hopefully would be ok too :)

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

If you look at the ASUS download servers for firmware you will notice that both for the RT-AX86U and S use the same firmware (almost) so issue identified with RT-AX86U will probable be with S also

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-Gaming-Routers/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_Download/

BTW: what problems are being reported for RT-AX86U ?

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

Thanks, I saw that but the most recent version of firmware update says just 86U , no mention of the 86S, unlike the previous version which says 86U and 86S so I figured they are not all for both models?  I’ve downloaded the previous one in preparation as didn’t want to risk it.

From what I recall from brief looking around, it was devices dropping off WIFI I believe. However some people have said it’s ok so not too sure, guess it depends what devices you have. Just sloghtly concerned due to Nest but fingers crossed it will be ok :)

I’m going to set it up tomorrow as I need to do it all live as the router seems to want me to go through setup stuff, even if choosing manual so I’ll let it do its think when I connect it all live.  I need to make a note of some settings etc to re-apply when router is up and running.

Plan is :-

Set wired and WIFI devices to DHCP (prob be easier incase switching fails, i wont have devices set in wrong IP range)

unplug BT cable from BT smart hub but leave it on so all devices still connected, just no internet.

Setup Draytek & 86S, run through wizard and get it online

Update to latest firmware

Turn off features don’t use

Setup main WIFI and Guest WIFI, turn off BT smart hub WIFI and enable on 86S so devices should see no WIFI for a few seconds then see the 86S WIFI and re-connect.

Re-setup few WIFI and wired devices on fixed IP on new router, making sure to just DHCP range to allow for static devices.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Kev

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3990
    • Skipper

Thanks, I saw that but the most recent version of firmware update says just 86U , no mention of the 86S

Absolutely, which is why I said (almost) regarding the communal firmware’s,

Let us know how the plan goes 👍

kev2021
    Participant
    • Posts 184
    • Regular

will do, thanks.

Kev

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.