ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

This topic contains 809 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel 17 hours, 19 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 810 total)
  • Author

Mrk26
    Participant

I think this one is more recent : https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openwrt-custom-firmware-for-asus-dsl-routers.56478/

That is why I asked.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Send them a feedback form 😉 (I have tried)

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mrk26
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong I see your effort over this thread and I really appreciate, just general questions… (maybe to many 🙁 )

Unfortunately Asus don’t even bother to respond to my feedback or give suggestion when I asked for some minor issues which I solved myself rather than waiting for their tips.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

I do not use the ASUS DSL-AC88U and my RT-AC86U runs RMerlin firmware – hope that explains a little my thoughts on this matter 😉

krvi
    Participant

To @UK Sentinel I read a little all over and looks like fw for DSL-AC88U is based on Openwrt Chaos Calmer 15.05? So why Asus don’t pull all what is good from it? For example ability to chose between shh and telnet, add password protection to telnet, block automatically acess to telnet if admin password for router not changed from default, more accurate and detailed dsl stats already in UI and so on.. If you are in good relation with them (at least they consider some of comments) maybe is worth to ask why they don’t pull good parts from sources they use, not that complain (a lot 😉 ) but base on other people complains Asus could do better for top shelf (price) device like they try to do for routers. (my previous RT-AC68U was my best investment for years, changed to 88U for better wifi and standalone device, and few more futures on paper 😛 ) Finally if they can’t make proper software why simply don’t pay for somebody (apparently board manufacture is Arcadyan) to make software working properly and just add Asusu GUI to it? BTW 22h 16min and 103644 FEC errors at the moment 😀

I can assume 2 reasons for why telnet/ssh is not an included option on the DSL-AC88U.

1. Broadcom does not want users directly using the chipset that they manufacture.
    2. To comply with country laws regarding, for example wireless transmission channels, frequencies and power regulations. Those can be circumvented once a user has root access.

Because all non-Broadcom Asus routers (I did not check them all) have telnet/ssh as an included option my guess is that Broadcom specifically does not want the option to be included. I have read, not by any credible source though, that Broadcom is, in general, very secretive about their products.

Mrk26
    Participant

I do not use the ASUS DSL-AC88U and my RT-AC86U runs RMerlin firmware – hope that explains a little my thoughts on this matter 😉

That explain everything 😉

Mrk26
    Participant
    1. Broadcom does not want users directly using the chipset that they manufacture.
    2. To comply with country laws regarding, for example wireless transmission channels, frequencies and power regulations. Those can be circumvented once a user has root access.

Because all non-Broadcom Asus routers (I did not check them all) have telnet/ssh as an included option my guess is that Broadcom specifically does not want the option to be included. I have read, not by any credible source though, that Broadcom is, in general, very secretive about their products.

No offence but looks like you didn’t use any other Asus routers… My previous Rt-ac68u have option to enable shh in gui on original asus fw. To be honest fw on my previous router was so stable that I never think about custom fw for it.

Unfortunately new purchase is far away from previous perfection 😀

But hey, I’m not the one who will give up first, I will make this damm think working properly 😛

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

No offence but looks like you didn’t use any other Asus routers… My previous Rt-ac68u have option to enable shh in gui on original asus fw. To be honest fw on my previous router was so stable that I never think about custom fw for it.

Unfortunately new purchase is far away from previous perfection 😀 But hey, I’m not the one who will give up first, I will make this damm think working properly 😛

@krvi is correct I believe, for Broadcom DSL chipset, they (Broadcom) are a lot less willing to allow us users to tinker 😉

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel.

Mrk26
    Participant

Does anyone seen option in DSL-AC88U for shutdown adsl connection? I can’t find anywhere, I remember it was in my previous router but can’t see in this one..

I asking because I would like to shutdown connection before I process reboot of router. (to not upset DLM)

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

Does anyone seen option in DSL-AC88U for shutdown adsl connection? I can’t find anywhere, I remember it was in my previous router but can’t see in this one.. I asking because I would like to shutdown connection before I process reboot of router. (to not upset DLM)

Sorry, no idea for Broadcom DSL based unit.

krvi
    Participant

Does anyone seen option in DSL-AC88U for shutdown adsl connection? I can’t find anywhere, I remember it was in my previous router but can’t see in this one.. I asking because I would like to shutdown connection before I process reboot of router. (to not upset DLM)

bcm_xdslctl stop

Is that what you’re looking for?

I have not tried or tested it.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

I spoke with ASUS and hopefully this helps also with commands

You can use following commands to xDSL down/up without system reboot, thanks.

For xDSL connection link down/up (only DSL connection disconnect/restart)

bcm_xdslctl connection –down

bcm_xdslctl connection –up

For xDSL driver down/up (whole DSL PHY driver down/reinitiate)

bcm_xdslctl stop

bcm_xdslctl start

Mrk26
    Participant

Thanks a lot.

Vash88
    Participant

Is there any update for the new firmware or a new beta version?

Thanks

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

When I checked with ASUS last, they was saying end of September ;-(

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 810 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.