ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

• This topic has 1,074 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 3 days ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,075 total)
  • Author
    Mrk26
    Participant

I use old eci modem at the moment as it got best performance so far, from these which I tested. I planing to replace it with modem with newer lantiq chipset, just didn’t have time yet to look into this.

camaran
    Participant

I use old eci modem at the moment as it got best performance so far, from these which I tested. I planing to replace it with modem with newer lantiq chipset, just didn’t have time yet to look into this.

if you can share you decision :-)

Mrk26
    Participant

I think it’s depend to which cabinet you are connected, I’m connected to eci cabinet so the modem with lantiq chipset is the way to go especially that I tried modems with booth lantiq and broadcom chipset and I got good comparison, and of course rt-ax88u as router in my tandem.

hackenbacker
    Participant

I only purchase mine less than a year ago, and only slightly over a year since it was first released.

And in all the time that I have owned it, they have not released a single firmware update, and never will, despite there being fairly obvious bugs – irrespective of driver support from the chipset manufacturer that makes the device fairly unusable, certainly as far as the advertised features are concerned. (Try getting it to stay up for more than 2 days with the AI features enabled).

Frankly, that is an utter disgrace, and they should offer owners either a refund or exchange for a supported (non-dsl modem) router.

Mrk26
    Participant

I was actually lucky with mine because I purchased mine in UK in shop where they don’t argue too much with unhappy customers. I purchased mine in August last year and returned in December. Add up a little bit and bought rt-ax88u as was on offer (35 quid extra to the dsl-ac88u price). Using Merlin fw on it and is stable and is actually working, it does remind me my old rt-ac68u, once is set you forget about it 😊. I got 14 devices connected all together to it 12 wireless and two wired, so far no problems. (there was tiny issue with different fw but with brain storm and help in this forum was quickly sorted).

UK Sentinel

asus say me today that no new firmware in the future

(read between the lines) As already released via Forums.whirlpool.net.au and UKTechHub.com., all I can ‘infer’ is that no new Firmware’s  will be released for the DSL-AC88U by official channels.

My glass is always half full and I do hope this will change, for the sake of DSL-AC88U customers or a third party developer steps in.

Unfortunately,  A dark day for ASUS 

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by UK Sentinel.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mrk26
    Participant

I don’t think there will be unofficial fw either, based on build in xdsl modem to it, unfortunately…

camaran
    Participant

this product is dead and not supported, 250 euro burned :-D

Mrk26
    Participant

If you bought yours from the local shop, always is worth to try return it under warranty, and show your expression that is not what you expected for this money…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Mrk26.
    dodgydrains
    Participant

If mine was still under warranty I would definitely return this now.  Asus have been absolutely disgraceful with the lack of support on this product.  I for one will not be buying any more modem/router or router only devices from them.  Why would I buy anything from them when they treat customers like this?

Mrk26
    Participant

Routers are completely different story, as for routers there is custom fw where are lot of bugs are solved. Merlin guide Asus with future releases and even help them with official releases. Not to mention that in some cases he tested if not even testing now pre release builds. (just info I found online). I use custom fw on my new rt-ax88u and is rock solid, so where I will never look on asus all in one device(modem-router) there is a definitely option for router only from asus.

Yoz
    Participant

I don’t think there will be unofficial fw either, based on build in xdsl modem to it, unfortunately…

I will now go and cry myself to sleep, this is disgraceful conduct from ASUS.
    Time to look at options away from ASUS despite owning them for 10years.

dodgydrains
    Participant

Routers are completely different story, as for routers there is custom fw where are lot of bugs are solved. Merlin guide Asus with future releases and even help them with official releases. Not to mention that in some cases he tested if not even testing now pre release builds. (just info I found online). I use custom fw on my new rt-ax88u and is rock solid, so where I will never look on asus all in one device(modem-router) there is a definitely option for router only from asus.

I am aware of the support provided by Merlin with Asus routers, but I cannot give money to a company that treats customers this way.  After all the problems with the AC68U, I had hoped that they will have learnt from their mistakes.

Anyone know if there is a Fritzbox that supports g.fast for UK?

Mrk26
    Participant

I believe 7590 should do? In spec it says : Supports 300 Mbit/s VDSL connections, including supervectoring.

@Grisu is the best person to ask about fritzbox.

I personally was considering 7590 after dsl-ac88u, but end up with rt-ax88u as I believe asus with external antennas will have much stronger wifi signal, and I must say I’m not disappointed.

dodgydrains
    Participant

The 7590 looks good.  I read somewhere g.fast is on the 7582 and 7583, cannot find one on Amazon for UK use.  I use the google WiFi Mesh for reaching far ends of the house.  Works really well for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,075 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.