ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

• This topic has 1,074 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 3 days ago by UK SentinelUK Sentinel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 1,075 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel

To add to the mix, it is believed the Draytek Vigor 166 g.fast capable modem should hit our shores this year and is designed for G.fast.

Yes, the Fritz!Box 7583 is G.fast capable, but only on sale via ISP in Austria I believe ., can be found on Ebay on occasions.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mrk26
    Participant

I was considering vigor 166 as a modem to my dream combo, as it got one of the latest lantiq/intel chipsets. It’s been promised exactly year ago and still not available…

UK Sentinel

I have not Tried the new Intels myself either, but my DrayTeK 130 (Lantiq) works a charm, and when the 166 come to market, will be a good day for many, I assume Draytek must have had delays with stock due to USA-China Trade talks.?

Mrk26
    Participant

I believe in vigor 130 is similar lantiq chipset like in old eci modem so not much upgrade for me in that case, was considering vigor 165 but is hard to get one in UK for annex A hardware. Then was hope for vigor 166 but that hope nearly died…

I also was looking for fritzbox 7530, but not sure if this one can work properly in bridge mode, it also have lantiq/intel chipsets VRX518 I believe?

Grisu
    Participant

No, 7590 supports “only” vplus (supervectoring) an not G.fast, you need a 7582 or 7283 with G.fast support. If you want to try it for less money I got a 7582 with defective DSL-chip but working (tested) perfect on G.fast line. There is a different chip for G.fast switched by a relay, thats why its only usable for latter and fails only on simple DSL.

pavlf
    Participant

This is amazing. I bought mine off ebay, thinking it was a good deal for a relatively new top end dsl router. But it don’t really do much more than the old n56u I had before it. Slightly better at streaming from USB is all. What a disgraceful display from Asus. First they stung me with the diabolical dsl n55u, then I went with the n56u which wasn’t toooooo bad, then they closed their really helpful forums, then I got this. I guess that’s the end of the line for me and asus. Sadly big companies like this don’t really care much. So what if they lose some customers here and there. People will still buy their routers and their mobos.

Perhaps it’s best to list mine on ebay sooner rather than later. They were holding their value quite well last I looked. Once this news gets out their value will likely go down. Plus I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking to put one on ebay all of a sudden.

Any recommendations for a dsl router that will run two usb drives, for torrents and hi res music streaming? Maybe I should go separate modem and router. It’s all going to have to wait for a while anyhow. Wish I’d got out while the going was so obviously bad. Instead, preferring to avoid the hassle I decided to wait for the new firmware. Mistake!

Cheers all.

Mrk26
    Participant

May I ask why you run two usb drives? Maybe it’s silly question but a while ago I looked for best way to share files and it turn out that wd cloud connected via lan port to router is best solution and the fastest one for my home use. Of course some people will debate about NAS etc but that just simply comparison between usb drive and drive connected through Lan.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Mrk26.
    UK Sentinel

No, 7590 supports “only” vplus (supervectoring) an not G.fast, you need a 7582 or 7283 with G.fast support. If you want to try it for less money I got a 7582 with defective DSL-chip but working (tested) perfect on G.fast line. There is a different chip for G.fast switched by a relay, thats why its only usable for latter and fails only on simple DSL.

@Grisu – do you know what chipset manages the DSL and what Chipset manages the G.fast ? or is the chip segmented somehow by relay  ?

pavlf
    Participant

2x usb because one is running torrents, the other is full – absolutely full – of music files. Connecting to a LAN port sounds like a good idea, but I don’t have a WD cloud, just some old HDDs.

Mrk26
    Participant

I have it for couple of years now and from my pc transfer throught wifi 60-80MB/s. When I backed up files from pc 100GB transferred in 30min. Watching hd movie on one tv, kids watching cartoons on other (booth from cloud) never had glitch or buffering.

When I connected usb stick or hdd even usb 3.0 to router it always was slower than current wd through Lan.

Also you can expand cloud memory by connecting to it hdd or flash memory via usb.

Grisu
    Participant

@UK-Sentinel: switched with a relay, starting on g.fast and after a minute or so switching to DSL.

for G.fast: Microsemi MSC Le87281

and rest: Broadcom BCM6303

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Grisu.
    UK Sentinel

@UK-Sentinel: switched with a relay, starting on g.fast and after a minute or so switching to DSL. for G.fast: Microsemi MSC Le87281 and rest: Broadcom BCM6303

Thanks

dodgydrains
    Participant

If I buy a 7582 from eBay (sellers are from Germany and Austria), will the UI be in English?

Also will you still receive firmware updates as normal?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by dodgydrains.
    Mrk26
    Participant

I believe @Grisu mentioned somewhere that it should be international version, seller should state in listing if is international or not. If is not clear then big possibility that GUI will be in German language. Updates should be provided regardless region version.

dodgydrains
    Participant

@UK-Sentinel: switched with a relay, starting on g.fast and after a minute or so switching to DSL. for G.fast: Microsemi MSC Le87281 and rest: Broadcom BCM6303

Is the BCM6303 an old chipset?  How does it compare to the one found on the DSL-AC88U?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 1,075 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.