ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS & Wireless ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 470
    • Addict

You have to ask Merlin for support of other than mainstream-models or do his work on your own for this router like Gnuton did for some DSL-types (Merlin based).

But he ever said that he will not support other models than those which can be found on his page.

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 168
    • Regular

You have to ask Merlin for support of other than mainstream-models or do his work on your own for this router like Gnuton did for some DSL-types (Merlin based). But he ever said that he will not support other models than those which can be found on his page.

I asked the question and the response was:

‘I can`t speculate about future model support, sorry.’

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3645
    • Skipper

Shame, but he is a busy chap so not surprised really

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Jonathan Morris
    Participant
    • Posts 16
    • Regular

I have been pretty quiet since my last posts here about problems, but in the last week I’ve had major issues again (I am now on 3.0.0.4.386_43181) and it has been very frustrating.

I think I might have found a cause though, which is going to be quite annoying if proven. I’ve submitted a report and 6 hours of logging to Asus, but I am not entirely sure they’ll spot the issue.

Basically, a week or two ago I connected a USB HDD to the XT8 router, and set it up as a media player and TimeMachine for backing up both a MacBook Pro and Mac Mini. All seemed to work very well, and I was very impressed, but then I noticed that while the TimeMachine backups were enabled, the router was reporting that the HDD was corrupt and could not fix the problem after 3 attempts.

It eventually showed the drive as unmounted, and at this point the TimeMachine backups (unsurprisingly) stopped working too.

I had to remove the HDD to try and repair it, without success, and therefore had to format it – losing all the data (I do use TimeMachine on a local drive, this was really about dual redundancy, and the media is also stored elsewhere). Nevertheless, it was a pain.

Now, at some point during this (what I thought was an isolated problem) the router had in fact rebooted a few times, knocking out the AI Mesh node and causing problems to the point that when I was out, my wife had to turn off the node entirely as it was causing too many issues with her laptop and work (screen sharing) connection.

With the HDD removed, the problem went away so I never got around to doing a full reset and starting over (something I may one day do, but it’s also a pain). The node has been connected without fail and all was good.

Then on Friday, I decided to hook up a different HDD to the XT8 and set it all up again, and within 24 hours the router crashed again, and it was at this point that I noticed this HDD was now showing as corrupt and the exact same issues as before.

That HDD is now removed and I’ve given up on using it for TimeMachine backups.

What I’ve got now is a 32GB flash drive connected just for a handful of films I can copy over to watch on my TV – and I’m going to monitor the situation to see if this gets corrupted. If it doesn’t, I’ll probably conclude that it is while doing a TimeMachine backup that the router is crashing, corrupting the data on the HDD and also messing up the network.

Consider this a word of warning for anyone else who might potentially use a HDD for storing data not kept elsewhere – you may well lose it!

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 168
    • Regular

I am feeling your pain. I am convinced that 43181 is borked.  Did you also experience this issue with 42095?

Jonathan Morris
    Participant
    • Posts 16
    • Regular

I hadn’t tried connecting a HDD before now (well, I did plug one in to see if it detected it, but never set it up or used it).

The issue I had about the node dropped to 2.4GHz has gone, which is good.

I can live without using the USB port, and I should know in a day or two if the flash drive still works or not – to identify if the issue is down to having a storage device connected, or the TimeMachine aspect.

I am quietly confident that if the router goes wrong again, removing the storage device should fix it.

Doug Boone
    Participant
    • Posts 1
    • Recruit

I have the exact same Teams issue as you dodgy…

Just did a system restore (on 43181) and did a couple of small tweaks. Might have to go to 42095 if they don’t work. On vaca for a week, so I won’t get a chance to test for a bit, but I’m watching this thread now in anticipation. Other issues I have had:

node drops to 2.4 instead of staying on 5-2

cameras occasionally drop for a minute

nest protects reporting in logs that they disconnect and reconnect every minute

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3645
    • Skipper

42095 does seem to be the most stable firmware release so far

dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 168
    • Regular

I have the exact same Teams issue as you dodgy… Just did a system restore (on 43181) and did a couple of small tweaks. Might have to go to 42095 if they don’t work. On vaca for a week, so I won’t get a chance to test for a bit, but I’m watching this thread now in anticipation. Other issues I have had: node drops to 2.4 instead of staying on 5-2 cameras occasionally drop for a minute nest protects reporting in logs that they disconnect and reconnect every minute

I have not had issues with 42095 with the attached settings for 6 days now, but do not have cameras or nest system connected to be able to test.

Hopefully ASUS are looking into my logs to find the problem.

Attachments:
    dodgydrains
    Participant
    • Posts 168
    • Regular

No contact from ASUS for over a week and not responded to emails.  Looks like I will be staying on 42095 for a while then.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3645
    • Skipper

No contact from ASUS for over a week and not responded to emails. Looks like I will be staying on 42095 for a while then.

Interesting that, I also spoke with my contact yesterday about your issue and they have not come back to me as yet

I will chase again on Friday

Grisu
    Participant
    • Posts 470
    • Addict

Deleted, has been written to wrong thread.

Jonathan Morris
    Participant
    • Posts 16
    • Regular

I have been pretty quiet since my last posts here about problems, but in the last week I’ve had major issues again (I am now on 3.0.0.4.386_43181) and it has been very frustrating. I think I might have found a cause though, which is going to be quite annoying if proven. I’ve submitted a report and 6 hours of logging to Asus, but I am not entirely sure they’ll spot the issue. Basically, a week or two ago I connected a USB HDD to the XT8 router, and set it up as a media player and TimeMachine for backing up both a MacBook Pro and Mac Mini. All seemed to work very well, and I was very impressed, but then I noticed that while the TimeMachine backups were enabled, the router was reporting that the HDD was corrupt and could not fix the problem after 3 attempts. It eventually showed the drive as unmounted, and at this point the TimeMachine backups (unsurprisingly) stopped working too. I had to remove the HDD to try and repair it, without success, and therefore had to format it – losing all the data (I do use TimeMachine on a local drive, this was really about dual redundancy, and the media is also stored elsewhere). Nevertheless, it was a pain. Now, at some point during this (what I thought was an isolated problem) the router had in fact rebooted a few times, knocking out the AI Mesh node and causing problems to the point that when I was out, my wife had to turn off the node entirely as it was causing too many issues with her laptop and work (screen sharing) connection. With the HDD removed, the problem went away so I never got around to doing a full reset and starting over (something I may one day do, but it’s also a pain). The node has been connected without fail and all was good. Then on Friday, I decided to hook up a different HDD to the XT8 and set it all up again, and within 24 hours the router crashed again, and it was at this point that I noticed this HDD was now showing as corrupt and the exact same issues as before. That HDD is now removed and I’ve given up on using it for TimeMachine backups. What I’ve got now is a 32GB flash drive connected just for a handful of films I can copy over to watch on my TV – and I’m going to monitor the situation to see if this gets corrupted. If it doesn’t, I’ll probably conclude that it is while doing a TimeMachine backup that the router is crashing, corrupting the data on the HDD and also messing up the network. Consider this a word of warning for anyone else who might potentially use a HDD for storing data not kept elsewhere – you may well lose it!

As an update for anyone interested; I’ve had zero problems with the flash drive connected. This means it was either TimeMachine causing the issue or maybe even an issue powering an external HDD (I might experiment again in the future, this time using an external drive with a separate power supply).

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3645
    • Skipper

Flash drives always seem to work well – it would be good if you could test Timemachine with HDD as I can then let ASUS know

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 3645
    • Skipper

Nope! dead as a door nail

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 203 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.