ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

This topic contains 941 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel 1 day, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 942 total)
  • Author
    jetspeed
    jetspeed
    Participant

Does this work. or are you looking to create a singular static route ? Not sure if the DSL-AC88U has this option, but under LAN > DHCP Server is there an option to set DNS and WINS Server setting. this should then configure DNS queries obtained via DHCP to the DNS IP address of your Pi Hole IP Address. Then block port 53 ?

I’ve already have set the DNS server of the router to my Pi Hole, but how do I block port 53?

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

I see, so your DNS Services is now using something like DNS server Port 443 and you are looking to blocking port 53 to stop apps etc. chatting via DNS on port 53 ?

IS that correct ? as if so then I think the DSL-AC88U firmware does not allow telnet access, to close port 53 or use Iptables, but I will look into this more later today?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel.

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

bwj
    Participant

This router/modem (Asus DSL-AC88U) has become a really dissapointing piece of expensive kit to the extent that I might go back to the Homehub.

Can anyone help with appropriate settings for ipv6?

Unlike the previous iteration of the router (AC-68U) this one doesn’t give any options to change the lan prefix length to coordinate with BT as /56 rather than /64

I have it set in native mode and have tried messing around with the other settings (eg Static Ip) to no avail.

KingfisherUK
    KingfisherUK
    Participant

Can anyone help with appropriate settings for ipv6? Unlike the previous iteration of the router (AC-68U) this one doesn’t give any options to change the lan prefix length to coordinate with BT as /56 rather than /64 I have it set in native mode and have tried messing around with the other settings (eg Static Ip) to no avail.

I fought with IPv6 on this router for months and in the end I gave up – it simply doesn’t work on BT Openreach services, either with the built in modem or an external Openreach one.

Oddly enough, I also have a Billion 8900AX-1600 R2 which has the same chipset and the same IPv6 issues…

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

As @KingfisherUK said, IPv6 /56 for UK (BT) usage does not work well, ASUS are fully aware of this issue and hopefully will be fixed in next firmware release (whenever that is)

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

@jetspeed – Ok, I believe the following will block all port 53 requests from LAN to WAN, but never tested this on the DSL-AC88U.

Go to Firewall > Network Services Filter to block port 53 TCP and UDP. as Network Services Filter only impacts LAN to WAN traffic and this should create entries in the iptables automatically.

For ASUS, I believe all ports from WAN to LAN are closed by default, so ports are only opened by LAN traffic heading to default gateway , (UPnP – Port Forwarding) etc.

Let us know how this goes ?

Attachments:

jetspeed
    jetspeed
    Participant

@jetspeed – Ok, I believe the following will block all port 53 requests from LAN to WAN, but never tested this on the DSL-AC88U. Go to Firewall > Network Services Filter to block port 53 TCP and UDP. as Network Services Filter only impacts LAN to WAN traffic and this should create entries in the iptables automatically. For ASUS, I believe all ports from WAN to LAN are closed by default, so ports are only opened by LAN traffic heading to default gateway , (UPnP – Port Forwarding) etc. Let us know how this goes ?

Thank you! This looks like what I’m after, but somehow can’t add port 53 without first adding a source IP? When adding port 53, it just disappears – no error message, no nothing.

I’m using FW503 and screen looks slightly different?

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

That is disappointing, try a different browser.

and try newer firmware – Version 1.10.06_Build591

I managed to get it to work on RT-AC86U and an RT-AX88U simulator online

not sure if 0.0.0.0 would work for Source IP address ?

http://demoui.asus.com/

If these options does not work, then alas no other option available to block port 56 from UI, hopefully ASUS will fix also in next firmware (big list they have)

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by UK Sentinel UK Sentinel.
    Attachments:

jetspeed
    jetspeed
    Participant

That is disappointing, try a different browser. and try newer firmware – Version 1.10.06_Build591 I managed to get it to work on RT-AC86U and an RT-AX88U simulator online not sure if 0.0.0.0 would work for Source IP address ? http://demoui.asus.com/ If these options does not work, then alas no other option available to block port 56 from UI, hopefully ASUS will fix also in next firmware (big list they have)

No go captain, I’m on record 56 days online streak with FW503! All the later ones, I couldn’t get a few weeks before it would lock up or have DNS failures.

Tried Chrome and Firefox, same deal.

I put my own PC’s as the source and tried a nslookup but it seemed to resolve fine and didn’t appear to block anything?

Anyway, I think I give up and wait for the next FW.

Thank you for the assist.

UK Sentinel
    UK Sentinel

56 days, that is a first for the DSL-AC3100 / 88U

Mike R
    Participant

Hi getting BT ultrafast 2 FTTP installed on Monday,I thought my DSL-AC88U would work (Would rather not use the BT Super Hub 2 BT sent)  but reading this thread im having doubts.Can you folk give me any tips/advice to get it working please.

jetspeed
    jetspeed
    Participant

56 days, that is a first for the DSL-AC3100 / 88U

No, it’s my own record, but I think another of your regular users did something like 90??

pavlf
    Participant

Yes, that was me. I went to something like 120 or so in the end. I would have been well on the way again if builders hadn’t cut through the power the other day.

jetspeed
    jetspeed
    Participant

Yes, that was me. I went to something like 120 or so in the end.

It seems like we’re the only ones left using this. Let’s have a friendly competition. I’ll let you know when I break your record ;)

pavlf
    Participant

OK, you’re on! I’m at 10 days 22 hours at the moment. I’m sure to make it to February without any new firmware appearing so I might be get past 120 days! The trick, as far as I can tell, is to turn everything off. No AI. No VPN & hardly any wifi devices. I do use it to stream music and to run torrents, but other than that it doesn’t do anything complicated.

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 942 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.