ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,120 total)
  • Author
    TODO
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 6
    • Total Posts 6
    • UKTechHub Newbie

Yes it is a modem router sorry for the confusion xD

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

That’s what I thought…

Got another more general question, does anyone experience asus dsl-ac88u freezing? I mean it shows wifi booth 2.4 and 5g but intermet not working, no access to router, all lights flashing as usually, also wired connection not working. Once disconnected from Wi-Fi can’t reconnect. Mine start doing that more often, I really start thinking about decent replacement, maybe even before Christmas…

krvi
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 15
    • Total Posts 15
    • UKTechHub Regular

That’s what I thought… Got another more general question, does anyone experience asus dsl-ac88u freezing? I mean it shows wifi booth 2.4 and 5g but intermet not working, no access to router, all lights flashing as usually, also wired connection not working. Once disconnected from Wi-Fi can’t reconnect. Mine start doing that more often, I really start thinking about decent replacement, maybe even before Christmas…

Yes, that is generally what is happening on mine too, DSL-AC88U-B.

Most times I think it restarts by itself after being in this state for a while.

If you have telnet/ssh access to the router you can leave htop running, and have a look at it while the issue is happening. Seems to be some new process(es) that keep getting restarted and using 100% of one cpu-core.

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

Trouble is mine never does that even on telnet unlocked fw, but last 10 days happened 3 times….

jetspeed
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 50
    • Total Posts 50
    • UKTechHub Regular

Got another more general question, does anyone experience asus dsl-ac88u freezing? I mean it shows wifi booth 2.4 and 5g but intermet not working, no access to router, all lights flashing as usually, also wired connection not working. Once disconnected from Wi-Fi can’t reconnect.

I used to have that problem. I think it’s related to the memory leak and/or DNS bug.

Since I’ve rolled back to FW503, no problems and stable.

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

There is no such thing like memory leak on mine, memory usage never go higher than 186MB, I also keep eye on temperature, is not higher than usually. Trouble is that freezing thing started like two-three weeks ago and is worse and worse.

I don’t think I have to be struggle with this router anymore. Even don’t working properly with modem attached to it (tested recently with my old rt-ac68u and eci modem works perfectly), wi-fi is slightly stronger (when it works actually, have to turn off and back on every couple of days). My old rt-ac68u is troubles compared to dsl-ac88u, once I setup old one I forgot about it, the dsl-ac88u give me nightmares. One more freeze and it will go back to shop, I think I gave asus dsl-ac88u enough time to convince me, now looking for decent one.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 308
    • Replies 1676
    • Total Posts 1984
    • UKTechHub Legend

OK, so I updated my DSL-AC88U to Firmware version (Stock 591) and was able to get access to internet from behind my DrayTeK modem which is in Bridge mode, Wifi signal seemed strong and was able to achieve full download speed (via Speedtest.Net)

Steps: setup DSL-AC88U to support WAN Mode (Modem)

Modem in bridge Mode (modem needs to support VLAN 101 separation) UK.

Did Not use QiS, I manually configured DSL-AC88U as per attached screen dumps.

•  Administration > DSL- Settings > DSL Modulation – Auto Synch (should not have any effect, but just being precise)
    •  WAN > Internet Connection – WAN Type – Ethernet WAN
    •  WAN Connection Type – PPPoE
    • Default Route – WAN 1
    • PPP Username (Enter ISP Account) and Password
    • Note: all other options leave as default.

Then click apply and ensure cable from Modem is plugged into EWAN port on Rear of DSL-AC88U

Job Done

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

I configured mine exactly same as you said, yesterday did al manually, it shows for me same as on your screenshots two green ticks for internet and iptv but no internet access from router, of course vlan id 101 is done automatically by eci so don’t have to set this up.

Really appreciate your effort.

Unfortunately router freeze again today, and I decided to return it, cant listening wife and kids every time this thing not working… 😖

Luckily for me bought mine from currys, they never do problems if something not working as should, fully refunded. Now old rt-ac68u back on duty temporarily until I find decent replacement.

Once again thanks for your help @Uk Sentinel, maybe you can recommend something for me with decent wifi? 🤔

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 308
    • Replies 1676
    • Total Posts 1984
    • UKTechHub Legend

When looking at a router, think of it like a shopping list,

What does  it need to do:

• Gaming
    • Parental Controls (Internet access time restriction/content filtering)
    • IPTV
    •  Combined Modem/Router or two separate devices
    •  Any VPN requirements
    •  Strong Wifi (Maybe wifi Mesh) if large house
    •  Special requirements from ISP
    •  Future proofing (IPv6 – Firmware updates – WiFi 6 (802.11ax))
    •  Budget ;-)

Etc etc.

Grisu
    Participant
    • Topics 8
    • Replies 229
    • Total Posts 237
    • UKTechHub Regular

Stay with your rock solid RT-AC68U for the next 2-3 years till AX standard works reliable with all devices and then prices for AX routers will lower too a lot.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 308
    • Replies 1676
    • Total Posts 1984
    • UKTechHub Legend

@Mrk26 following posts moved as not relevant to current Topic  @Mrk26 New Router Dilema

Vash88
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 11
    • Total Posts 11
    • UKTechHub Regular

Before throwing it in the trash I want to give him one last chance with a new firmware.

But is it official that a new firmware will be released by the end of the year?

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Topics 1
    • Replies 455
    • Total Posts 456
    • UKTechHub Addict

Latest half official gossip was around February next year, waste a time. I returned mine, bought rt-ax88u, completely different world. Nothing to compare with dsl-ac88u.

UK Sentinel
    • Topics 308
    • Replies 1676
    • Total Posts 1984
    • UKTechHub Legend

Before throwing it in the trash I want to give him one last chance with a new firmware. But is it official that a new firmware will be released by the end of the year?

Last I heard from ASUS was beginning on 2020 (Feb) alas I do not chase ASUS on this Firmware update as it upsets everyone when dates keep changing

Vash88
    Participant
    • Topics 0
    • Replies 11
    • Total Posts 11
    • UKTechHub Regular

Before throwing it in the trash I want to give him one last chance with a new firmware. But is it official that a new firmware will be released by the end of the year?

Last I heard from ASUS was beginning on 2020 (Feb) alas I do not chase ASUS on this Firmware update as it upsets everyone when dates keep changing

February ??
    I used it for several days (591) with AiProtection on, and the ram increases by 9Mb every day.
    I put the D7000 V1 back, with the Ancistrus mod firmware it has the QOS up / dow working and many other new features.
    Asus’ technicians could take a look at it, since they have the same chipset.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Vash88.
Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.