ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Home Forums Wireless Routers & Modems … ASUS ASUS – DSL-AC88U / DSL-AC3100 Firmwares (beta's) etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,216 through 1,230 (of 1,255 total)
  • Author
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Now if it was myself choosing and money was no object, I would be using the Draytek vigor 166 modem and using the ASUS RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U or RT-AX88U all flashed with ASUSWRT-Merlin Firmware (ASUSWRT-Merlin supports SKY Mer)

Double +  the price of the TP-Link Archer – but a great set-up and Sky Mer compatible

Note: only specifying the DrayTeK Vigor 166 as CPU is faster than DrayTeK Vigor 130  CPU

In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom (J.G.Ballard).

Mrk26
    Participant
    • Posts 461
    • Addict

Perfect combos

Maybe not the cheapest but will last for couple of years.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

Perfect combos Maybe not the cheapest but will last for couple of years.

Ian Greener
    Participant
    • Posts 7
    • Recruit

I might look into that setup as I may be able to pick up used.

If using the RT-AC88U I presume you use the dsl cable into the modem then connect that via wan to the Asus 88U.

Would I use the modem or the 88U to log into Sky and would everything be connected to the 88U, Lan and WiFi ?

Sorry for the questions, never thought to do it this way.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

The RT-AX88U is the unit I specified, not AC88U, both will work but RT-AX88U is a newer model

Yes (then run cable from LAN Port on  Modem which then goes into WAN port on Router)

If using the RT-AC88U I presume you use the dsl cable into the modem then connect that via wan to the Asus 88U.

All configurations including SKy Mer is via  ASUS Router and Router handles LAN and Wifi etc.

Would I use the modem or the 88U to log into Sky and would everything be connected to the 88U, Lan and WiFi ?

No problem

Sorry for the questions, never thought to do it this way.

Ian Greener
    Participant
    • Posts 7
    • Recruit

Had a look around and the 166 is fairly scarce, must be quite new. It is certainly a massive upgrade from the 130 looking at the speeds.

£160 on Amazon is a cheap as anywhere but some appear to be Annexe B not the Uk A. Some stories about a gen 2 may be coming as well.

My mistake on the 88U, the AX models are still expensive but along with the 166 they would be great for when Ultra fast gets to me.

thanks, appreciated.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

For Vigor 166 – https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/41275-draytek-v166-k/

Gen 2 for G.fast will be a few years off in UK, if ever – buying a high end ASUS Router will enable you to use it if Full Fibre ever reaches your area

Haines
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

OMG i literally just ordered the 88U like 10 mins ago and came across this! is it really that bad should i send it straight back? i want to replace my sky q hub (which is pony) and thought this would be the one! what are your thoughts on the 82U? as this is wifi 6 should i just be waiting for this?

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

OMG i literally just ordered the 88U like 10 mins ago and came across this! is it really that bad should i send it straight back? i want to replace my sky q hub (which is pony) and thought this would be the one! what are your thoughts on the 82U? as this is wifi 6 should i just be waiting for this?

DSL-AC88U – No longer supported, so I would return if at all possible.

THe DSL-AX82U is not tested on Sky as far as I am aware, but I am sure at some point in the future it should be Ok for Sky etc.

Ian Greener
    Participant
    • Posts 7
    • Recruit

Well, Broadband buyer has now got stock so I am tempted to order a 166 modem.

Problem at the moment is that the Asus AX88 is expensive. I see the AX82 is mentioned above and it is more affordable but it may be no good if it isn’t supported by merlin firmware.

Is this the same for the AX86 ?

Easy option at the moment would be to get the Draytek 2862AC used as a stop gap option.

UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

ASUS RT-AX86U will support ASUSWRT-Merlin and beta’s currently available.

Draytek have a strange UI, so be prepared.

Nice to have choices

Haines
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

Thanks for that, i think ill send it straight back and not worry about trying to configure it.

can anyone recommend what to use on SkyQ? other option i was looking at was the Tp-LInk C2800?

i wouldnt say money is no object, but happy to spend enough to get a decent bit of kit?

Cheers in advance.

Ian Greener
    Participant
    • Posts 7
    • Recruit

Thanks for that, i think ill send it straight back and not worry about trying to configure it. can anyone recommend what to use on SkyQ? other option i was looking at was the Tp-LInk C2800? i wouldnt say money is no object, but happy to spend enough to get a decent bit of kit? Cheers in advance.

This is what I am trying to do. The Draytek 166 was recommended as a modem, don’t know if this is the best or if there are other options better ?

As for the router I though the As88u would be good until I read reviews and the AX88 seems recommended but it’s out of my price range at the moment.

I could get the Draytek 166 or similar then get a cheaper decent router that I could sell on when I can afford the AX88.

If I read things correctly the Draytek 166 works straight away with sky without needing your username/password. Unless I have picked things up wrong.

Any recommendations for a router ?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Ian Greener.
    UK Sentinel
    • Posts 2469
    • Skipper

TP-Link, Netgear, ASUSWRT-Merlin and DrayTeK support SKy

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/sky-fibre-setup-guide

Buying a Router is much like walking into a garage and saying I want a Tyre for my car, so many variables including price, quality and usage etc.

For Sky in UK, the modem has no association with SKY, as long as modem can handle VLAN ID’s 101, then the routers handles the SKy Option 61 etc.

DrayTeK Vigor 130 modem or the newer Vigor 166 are fine for SKY.

TP-Links are Chinese, so firmware can be not as upto date as one would like. and the ASUS RT routers such as the cheaper RT-AC86U flashed with ASUSWRT-Merlin will support SKY option 61

For an all in one solution, then you are left with TP-Link VR2800 or something like the new ASUS DSL-AX82U when it is released in UK ?

Then to add to this is that for UK, if you wish to use IPv6, then the TP-Link’s generally do not support the  /54 site prefix length which is what we use in the UK.

ASUS RT Routers (ASUSWRT-Merlin) support this as does Netgears etc ?

ASUS and Draytek are safer options especially when Sky is involved, or move ISP to BT or Plusnet etc. and have a little more kit choice

Haines
    Participant
    • Posts 13
    • Regular

thanks for the advice, any recommendations on the net-gear ones? i think the c2800 probably the best of the tp-Link ones?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,216 through 1,230 (of 1,255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.